Insurance: 2000 360 Modena vs. 2001 Acura NSX-T | FerrariChat

Insurance: 2000 360 Modena vs. 2001 Acura NSX-T

Discussion in '360/430' started by RL in Florida, Jul 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RL in Florida

RL in Florida Rookie

May 25, 2005
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard Liu
    Hi everyone.
    I am on search for nice 360 Modena, and thought I would do my "due diligence" for automobile insurance. I currently have an NSX-T and and 2004 Acura MDX. Coverage is fairly high: 500G injury, 500G uninsured,.

I thought I was going to get a "sticker shock" from the difference in premiums, but lo and behold, its not that bad! 360 Modena here I come!

2001 Acura NSX-T + 2004 Acura MDX premium: $2170
    2000 Ferrari 360 Modena + MDX premium: $2330
    2004 Lamborghinia Gallardo + MDX premium: $2700

Yeah, I know they are all high, but I am in the bad age group and live in Florida, so that's life. I can't belive the premium difference between a 50-60G car with 290hp is only a few bucks less than a 125G car with 400hp!

So...does this mean all of the 360 owners out here don't file that many claims? I am also curious about other comparisons from other owners, for instance previous Viper or Porsche owners who have moved on to a Ferrari.

Regards,
    Rick

2. tpower22

tpower22 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hey,

My 360 Modena's insurance is 1,950. I was really surprised becuase I am in the bad age group as well, but I do have a 5,000 deductible so anything minor is coming out of my wallet, which is why the insurance is not as high as I thought it was going to be. How many miles are on the car that you are looking at? What is your deductible?

3. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No, it means both cars are aluminum. :)

4. RL in Florida

RL in Florida Rookie

May 25, 2005
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard Liu
    My insurance company only has one category for Pleasure Vehicle, which they define as under 5000 miles a year. My deductible is $500. I should probably raise it to lower my premium...

5. BlackRX7Turbo

BlackRX7Turbo Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Full Name:
    Aaron

Is that rate per month? Or maybe per 6 months? Or is it for a year? If it's a year, or even for 6 months, that's not as bad as I thought it would be... if it's per month, that's more in line with what I would have expected....

6. RL in Florida

RL in Florida Rookie

May 25, 2005
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard Liu
    The rates are for 12 months and include the Sports Car plus my 2004 Acura MDX.

Much better than I thought it would be!

7. FerrariFabio81

FerrariFabio81 Karting

May 24, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Fabio Secaira
    One of the factors that matter the most in insurance pricing/rating is the average buyer of a specific vehicle, in this case MOST Ferrari buyers are well established older folks, and that's why the rates on them are not that high, since older folks are less likely to drive, enthusiastically lets say, as well as the fact that most Ferraris end up being garage queens, and people don't put any claims on their insurance policies simply because they don't drive the cars enough to get in an accident!

Just for kicks try to add a 2005 Subaru WRX STi on your policy, and see how it goes.

8. BlackRX7Turbo

BlackRX7Turbo Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Sweet... it will be cheaper for me to insure a Ferrari than it is to insure my RX-7.... unless it's just because you live in Florida, compared to me living in NJ!

9. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    It's cause of multi vechile policy and I supose pleasure vechile too.
    For my 01 NSX it would have been $3500 for 6 months, but combined with my two trucks and the NSX being pleasure got all 3 for $2800 for 6 minths go figure. When I got a quote for a 99 360 they said $6500 for 6 months!!!!! WTF, guess they didn;t want to insure me. Tried to get quotes on a Diablo 6.0 and a CS and flatout got denide even a quote, guess those 10 tickets last year didn't help. Now to try a Gallardo.

RL,what insurance company are you with? If they're here too I need to give them a call......ohh and keep the NSX. The first time the 360 breaks down (and it will) you'll wish you did....if you don't you will after you get the repair bill :(

10. RL in Florida

RL in Florida Rookie

May 25, 2005
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard Liu
    Hi Dan!
    Are you on NSXPRIME?
    I am with Amica. I have heard State Farm is good as well.
    Just called them today to get the quotes on the vehicles. As noted above, I was very pleased with the premium. Modena and NSX are essentially the same. Doesnt really make sense, but makes my decision to get a Modena even easier.

Re: your comment about the Gallardo, my heart is set on a 360 Modena (Lust) but my brain tells me to get the Gallardo (Logic), since the prices are so "low" (plus warranty, all wheel drive, 100 hp extra, 100 ft-lb extra).

Regards,
    Rick

11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    State Farm here: 01 360 1000k ded, high limits mulit car discount as well as accident free $1150/yr, 01 Diablo $1175/year and 04 Murcie $1225/year. I'm 51 so it's a great age group. BTW I only had the 360 and Diablo and the Diablo and Murcie insurred at the same time. I am told that State Farm as of July 17 is lowering premiums as the ZO6 went from $550/6 months to $374/6 months.

12. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Just checked today w/ State Farm on possible 2004 CS and was quoted $530/six months, $1K deductible, multi-car, etc.

13. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Your insurance company must love you with that 1000K deductible! :)

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Good Lord I am jealous.

I drive an 04 Infiniti G35 Coupe. Essentially a $36k ride.

I have a perfect driving record and did ALL of my due dillengence in shopping around for the best insurance rates.

My full coverage with a $500 deductable is costing me $5,000/12 months. No joke.

I guess being a 23 year old male in New Orleans is an ultra-bad combo...

15. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Typo, $1k ded.

16. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow. I am very surprised how low the rate difference is between a 01 NSX and 360! I know the NSX is freaking expensive as hell to fix if it gets wrecked.

17. tpower22

tpower22 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Don't forget liability/umbrella insurance. You're a real target in that car.

18. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    RL, Of coarse I'm on NSXPrime :), by far the most informative and knowledgable site I've ever seen.

Man....... seems like I need to call State Farm, I'm getting ripped royaly.

Also, word of advice, get a beater and make it you primary driver, everything else will drop more than the car cost. When my 98 Dodge with 100k finally goes I'm gonna park it and still keep it insured cause it's actually cheaper with all 3 then just with my other truck (04 Ram 2500) and the NSX, and all my tickets only count on the 98 Ram even though all but one came from the NSX...dam cops in Hamilton county got no crime so they bother me, and I don't even live there and rarely go there!!! They stalk me :(

19. BlackRX7Turbo

BlackRX7Turbo Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    My insurance is also with multi-car... I am curious now as to what I would pay if it weren't... hmmm...

anyway, the $6500 for 6 months is closer to what I would have expected to see for 360... especially when you consider the payment they would make should you get into an accident...

20. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    I don't understand, I pay the following, per year:

1.) 87 TR: $580.00 with $500 deductable
    2.) 2000 360 $980.00 with $1000 deductable
    3.) 04 Yamaha R1 $660.00 with $500 deductable

Okay, bikes are dangerous and statistically are in more accidents, high medicals, etc. But I am 40 with a good (perfect) record for about 10 years now and I pay more for my bike than my TR.

Insurance--funny business.

And yes my car rates are low--don't know exactly why but I will not complain.

21. BlackRX7Turbo

BlackRX7Turbo Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I think it's because they're afraid that if you get into an accident, you'll be more expensive to fix than the TR... :)

22. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    ins. for ferraris are relatively cheap...because, very, very few very get into accidents, and many spend most of their live in the garage well protected andmost owners baby them....the nsx is relatively high due to the aluminum body and also keep in mind that the average ferrari owner is older and lower risk than a nsx owner

23. buzduz74

buzduz74 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Buzz Marcus