355 Problems | FerrariChat

355 Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mickey, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    chaps,

I have a 1997 355 GTS. I just bought the car 6 months ago. The car is 7 years old and has done almost 18,000 km.

I would appreciate if you could let me have your views on the following issues:

1. CAM-BELTS. Because I don't know if the previous owner has replaced the cam-belts before, so just to be on the safe side, I took my car to the ferrari dealer to change the cam-belts. I was told that in order to change the cam belts, the engine will need to be removed from the car ### Is that correct ? The labour costs for removing the engine is huge !!! I need to know if this money is worth spending or whether there is another way of replacing the cam-belts ? Please share with me your experience.

2. BANGING NOISE. When I take the car out for a spin, occasionally I hear this banging noise (apparently) coming out from the front of the car. So I stopped and started the car a few minutes later and the noise is still there !!! It sounds as if the noise was coming from just below the central air-vents. But there is no smells or smokes coming out ! Just the noise. However if I turn the air-con on, the noise may (but not necessarily) stop. could someone please tell me what the problem is before I get ripped off by the dealer again ???

Your comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.

mickey

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Mickey,

There have been threads very recently regarding 355 belts being changed in situ or with the engine removed - a quick search will find it, I think it was this thread "Are us dumb Americans are getted ripped off for service ?" in the technical section.

To supposidly save money the belts can be replaced in situ by removing the fuel tank, but it's not the recommended way and there are fors and against this method, anyway all the info is in the thread mentioned above.

MW

3. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen

4. mac59

mac59 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Micky,
    I am due this week to get my 96 out of the shop. FOH say it has taken 60 hours just to do the belt, water pump and a whole list of things which are listed in your book. It is a engine out service and a major task. I know I will sleep better at night knowing that the car was done right. I know if I was a buyer, the invoices and records would make me pay a preimum for the car. Yes, it is very expensive, but welcome to the game.

5. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you very much, MW.

I will take a look at the thread now.

By the way, I note that you are from UK. I have been thinking about joining the Ferrari Owners' Club (UK). Just wonder if you know anything about the club ? I understand that they have their own magazines etc. Is the club worth joining ? any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    mickey

6. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
  7. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks MW,

Looks like you are already a member of this club. I will definitely give it a go.

cheers,
    mickey

Micky,

You can get details from their web site at http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/

The club secretary is Peter Everingham

Regards

MW[/QUOTE]

8. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey rudy,

many thanks for your advice.

Regarding the Noise. You are probably right. The noise is more like "Bumping" than banging. It may a simple and minor problem but still it is frustrating to hear this noise all the time. Moreover, it could lead to bigger problems ?

Have you come across this before ? If you have, any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

regards
    mickey

9. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    No, my 355 was bump, squeek and rattle free. Maybe you could get in the passenger seat and try to isolate it while someone else drives. That's assuming you let someone else drive your 355.

10. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Mickey do the belts, but not at the dealer.

Re: banging. Open the bonet. You will see a square "box" centered near the front window. Start the car and see if that is where the noise comes from...I bet it does.

Inside the box is a "flapper valve" which is controlled by a swtich inside the car. It is actally a fresh air control valve.

On the center consol you have a round button "Stop" and "recurculation" (Item 41 in owners manual). Try pressing it to see if it stops making the noise.

Normally, that "flapper" will be either open or closed, depending on the selection you made. However, what you hear is it "cycling" between the two positions. Nothing major, but should be taken care of.

11. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank a lot, FL355. Much appreciated.

I will now take a look at the box and try the bottons to see if the noise will stop.

On a separate note, I am going to put the Challenge exhaust on my 355. Do you think it will be better to remove the cats at the same time ??? any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The flapper valve has a 'funny' flapping algorythm. If you select no fresh air (recirculate) the control system will admit fresh air for 1 minute out of each 20 minute period. to keep you from carbon monoxide and lack of oxygen problems.