Illinois nazis.... I hate Illinois nazis! | FerrariChat

Illinois nazis.... I hate Illinois nazis!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by spike308, Jun 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I got this from a Lotus group I belong to you....
    Illinois... the land of the free

We need your help, right now, to protect your right to have an aftermarket exhaust on your car.

The Illinois legislature is trying to ban aftermarket exhausts. This bill was “under the radar” until the House passed it. Now it is fast tracked to be approved by the Illinois Senate before the legislature adjourns.

Mid America Motorworks is already working to block approval of the bill. BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP. As citizens and voters in Illinois, your opinion is important, more important than ours because your votes determine who holds office.

Call your Illinois State Senator, now, and tell him or her you oppose HB 2221. If you know your Senator’s name, or your district, just find the name or district number, click on the name, and get your Senator’s contact information.

If you don’t know your Senator’s name or your district, please click each name until you find the Senator who represents you.

Act fast, we don’t have much time!

Senator
    District
    Party

Pamela J. Althoff
    R

Larry K. Bomke
    R

Bill Brady
    R

J. Bradley Burzynski
    R

James F. Clayborne, Jr.
    D

Jacqueline Y. Collins
    D

Dan Cronin
    R

M. Maggie Crotty
    D

John J. Cullerton
    D

Gary G. Dahl
    R

Miguel del Valle
    D

James A. DeLeo
    D

Deanna Demuzio
    D

Kirk W. Dillard
    R

Gary Forby
    D

Susan Garrett
    D

Adeline Jay Geo-Karis
    R

William R. Haine
    D

Debbie DeFrancesco Halvorson
    D

Don Harmon
    D

Rickey R. Hendon
    D

Mattie Hunter
    D

Denny Jacobs*
    D

Mike Jacobs
    D

Emil Jones, Jr.
    D

John O. Jones
    R

Wendell E. Jones
    R

Chris Lauzen
    R

Kimberly A. Lightford
    D

Terry Link
    D

David Luechtefeld
    R

Edward D. Maloney
    D

Iris Y. Martinez
    D

James T. Meeks
    I

Antonio Munoz
    D

Carole Pankau
    R

William E. Peterson
    R

Edward Petka
    R

Christine Radogno
    R

Kwame Raoul
    D

Steven J. Rauschenberger
    R

Dale A. Righter
    R

Dale E. Risinger
    R

Carol Ronen
    D

Peter J. Roskam
    R

Dan Rutherford
    R

Martin A. Sandoval
    D

Jeffrey M. Schoenberg
    D

George P. Shadid
    D

Todd Sieben
    R

Ira I. Silverstein
    D

Dave Sullivan
    R

John M. Sullivan
    D

Dave Syverson
    R

Donne E. Trotter
    D

Louis S. Viverito
    D

Lawrence M. Walsh*
    D

Frank C. Watson
    R

Arthur J. Wilhelmi
    D

Richard J. Winkel, Jr.
    R

Kathleen L. Wojcik
    R

This is the official wording of the bill. We have to stop this foolish legislation.

HB 2221

AN ACT concerning transportation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,

represented in the General Assembly:

Section 5. The Illinois Vehicle Code is amended by adding

Section 13B-27 as follows:

(625 ILCS 5/13B-27 new)

Sec. 13B-27. Muffler or exhaust system modification;

excessive noise. A vehicle automatically fails the emission

inspection required under this Chapter if the vehicle, based on

visual observation, is equipped with a muffler or exhaust

system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase

the noise of the vehicle.

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Hmmmm.... Seems to me that what they are trying to do is ban the annoying sounds from the "rice rockets" out there, both 4 wheeled and 2 wheeled, that have those obnoxious exhaust systems. You hear them from a mile away. The problem, of course, is that it sweeps in every other system that potentially increases the level of exhaust noise, even slightly.

Dumb legislators lead to dumb laws. Hope it gets defeated. Let us know what happens.

3. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
  4. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    What officer is going to pull you over and say oh thats a Capistra or Tubi. They're going after the coffee can rice burners.

Regardless it won't be enforced unless pulled over for another infraction and even then questionable. What are they going to do. Take muscle cars and pick-up truck and have them take off their glass-packs? Nope not w/out a revolt! Does an officer have a clue whether your Ferrari exhaust is standard or aftermarket or a combination thereof? Nope, As Bush 41 said "Not gun-na do it...wouldn't be prudent."

The current "noice" laws on the books should be enforced.

The shame of it all is the waste of time in the legislature over such nonsense.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I told you guys stuff like this was in the pipeline...

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you already have one, I don't think the law would be retroactive anyway, because of the ex post facto protection. If it was passed, and you had a receipt showing your exhaust had been installed prior to law's passage, you wouldn't be in violation.

This is a real knee-jerk/poorly thought-out law.

A better law would be to have a decibel meter and get the fart-can Integras during emissions testing. Maybe I'M a middle-aged fart now, but those things annoy the cr@p out of me. Tubi'd Ferrari's aren't really the problem.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Well, it seems those in Illinois are getting what they deserve by electing republicians to control their legislature. The same type things are happening here in Georgia since morons put republicians in charge of our state government. It is a shame that the party that used to be all about freedom is now all about control. Power corupts, absolute power corupts absolutely!

8. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Norm, with all due respect, there has been a national advertising campaign for the past week with virtual media saturation for "Click-It or Ticket".

And IMHO, there is never ever an excuse for driving anywhere without a seatbelt. Even at 25 MPH, you risk death in a collision (albeit unlikely).

Seatbelts and running red lights are the two road laws that I stand behind 110%. There is no logic that can defend failing to observe either of these.

As for some of the other laws we are subject to? Yeah - they can be pretty assinine.

Dave

9. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    You, my friend, are a complete moron.

The Illinois Senate is a 59-member body.
    Currently 26 members are Republicans, 32 members are Democrats, and one was elected Independent.

Illinois State Representatives 94th General Assembly:
    Democrats: 65 Republicans: 53

The govenor is a democrat.
    Mayor of Chicago, arguably more powerful than our idiot govenor, is a democrat.

Illinois is one of the most corrupt states... led by DEMOCRATS!

Yours is a totally uninformed opinion. Think before you speak / type.

10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    When Illinois passed its seatbelt law they SPECIFICALLY stated that they would NOT EVER pull over & ticket motorists for the sole reason of not wearing their seatbelts. They are doing EXACTLY that (blocking 2 out of 4 lanes of traffic & slowing cars while an officer checks for belt usage) on the road just outside my office right this minute.

I wear my seatbelt 100% of the time, but think the law is BS.

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yes, I agree, and his statement to favor (or blame) one party over another belonged in the Politics forum, not here in this thread.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Hey, I'm not from Illinios and I didn't bother counting...it just sounded so much like something a neo-con republician would propose. I am from Georgia and do know what type of crap our republician led legislature and governor are pushing though. For those from Illinois who may know, what party is supporting the legislation?

13. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

14. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "his statement to favor (or blame) one party over another belonged in the Politics forum, not here in this thread."

I blame both parties, can I say that here? Seems to me they both want to control our lives and spend our money. Next election, I'm registering as a Tifosi!

15. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    I think it is disgusting that in a site organized to
    "chat" about everything Ferrari someone has to
    label anther a "complete moron". If I wanted to
    read something like this I would have subscribed
    to some right-wing windbag's newsletter.

16. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Agree with the sentiment.... It REALLY pi$$es me off when they (government) say one thing and do another.

Here in CA we have these stupid pollution laws. The concept is great - I would prefer to breath clean air and am happy to pay a premium here and there to do so, but to exempt a 25 year old 454cu in pollution belching pickup used as a daily driver simply because it is 25 yo is moronic. It gets worse when the guy with his immaculate 512bbi that would only do 2000 miles a year can't pass smog so can't get it registered! No sense at all....

Note the obligatory Ferrari content :)

Dave

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'm not from Illinois but I've been to Chicago. Da Bears.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=5129416#post5129416
    "A bill (H.B. 2221) to ban vehicles equipped with a 'muffler or exhaust system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle' was quickly passed last night by the Illinois House on a 61-55 vote and is gaining momentum in the Senate. Under the bill, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a 'visual observation' will fail emissions inspection. The Legislature will adjourn for the year on Tuesday, May 31st leaving a short time to complete action in the Senate. The bill is being sponsored in the Senate by James Clayborne, Jr. ([email protected])

Time is of the Essence! We Urge You to Call, Fax or E-Mail Senate sponsor James Clayborne, Jr. (Contact Information Attached) Immediately to Oppose H.B. 2221"

As you can see, it was a Dumbercrat that came up with this doozy.
    http://www.senatedem.state.il.us/clayborne/photo2.html

18. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Gee, I'm thinking there is money to be made now in selling STOCK Harley exhausts...

How bikes manage to get away with there loud exhausts, I will never know...

19. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky

You've been listening to Hillary to much. Complain about "moron" and you state "right-wing windbag."

Your a hypocrite of the 1st order!! The gentlemen was correct about the ignorance of such an uneducated and mis-informed comment. That's the problem w/ this country. Flippant comments w/out responsiblity.

On another note, traffic lights are called "traffic control devises" While I agree the law should be obeyed tell me what use they serve when there's no traffic to control? In other words 3:00am at a desserted intersection; shouldn't one come to a complete stop and then proceed if clear? Just a thought.

20. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    It is not a republican only problem. Moronic democrats have the same illogical thinking about micromanaging their constituents.

I was pulled over in my car while accelerating and leaving the transmission in a lower gear, keeping the revs above 5K, and the cop thought my exhaust was too loud for a stock vehicle. So he pulled me over, citing that Maryland does not allow for modifying exhausts. I informed him it was a stock exhaust, but I still got a fix-it ticket and had to appear in court with a letter from the OEM stating that my exhaust was stock.

Needless to say, I blew my top. Maryland has children being murdered by their own parents living in basements with no running water, NBA stars are appearing on videos with drug dealers, and our murder rate is 2-3 times that of cities that are 10 times our size. But I get a fycking ticket for a stock exhaust and have to appear in court.

21. OffRamp

OffRamp Rookie

May 2, 2005
    Arlington, TX-Jax,Fl
    Full Name:
    Stephen W.

First off, much respect to you. now on to this.

I used to live in IL so I understand what is going on there needless to say I understand what is happening in our country right now too. I also understand why certain things are happening and why a few things are tolerated over the world. This seatbelt law.

This law was passed because of constant lobbying to Congress by the Insurance Companies. I'll leave that there instead of trying to explain the points of view behind it. Instead I'll ask this question where are your premiums headed.

The first mistake is to think someone cares about you, when that happens...

22. OffRamp

OffRamp Rookie

May 2, 2005
    Arlington, TX-Jax,Fl
    Full Name:
    Stephen W.

I must say you are one chap who is getting the picture. When you start thinking they are different parties, that is when they have you.

23. LNR

LNR Karting

Apr 28, 2005
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Lyndon

I wonder if you have any recourse for the cop's actions for being totally ignorant about what is modified and what is not. He shouldn't have pulled you over if you weren't breaking any laws......If you were on a Harley, do you think he would have pulled you over? He was just probably jealous.

24. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Actually, what is the definition of "modified?" How do they (OEM) measure and/or evaluate the difference between say a "modified" part and "aftermarket" product that may in fact not be "modified."

Sorry is this to "Clinton'esque?

I mean can you just see those legislature committees hammering out the details of such language and relevance it serves to our commonwealth.

25. Little Joe

Little Joe Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Mahwah, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe S.
    "Under the bill, vehicles determined to have been modified by virtue of a 'visual observation' will fail emissions inspection." I think you'd be clear with a Tubi. You can't really tell can you? But, when you see a civic with a coffee can of a muffler attached to the back, it would be pretty obvious to the eye from a distance that that thing doesn't belong there.