F40 Fuel Cells - Euro version | FerrariChat

F40 Fuel Cells - Euro version

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by The Red Baron, May 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Is there a replacement cell for an F40 rubber tank, other than the factory supplied cells. I heard that more modern and longer lasting cells are available. If there is someone with the knowledge please share.

2. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

ATS make replacement tanks.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    As far as I'm aware all racing bag tanks are still lifed at 10 yrs.

Premier Fuel Systems are another top supplier that, if they dont already make one, they will duplicate a sample.

4. mrknowitallf40

mrknowitallf40 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2005
    ATL lists replacements in their catalog. New FIA regs will not allow fuel cells to be made with a rubber joint for the pipe that runs between the two tanks. The new ones are metal bulkhead fittings. Just be ready, the cost of the new bladders is quite high (10K usd plus)

5. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Thanks, I know the cost is quite high. Though not as high as the conncessioneers charge in Australia, 28,000 AUS, or around 21,000USD. Of course that is without fitting them. One might say they have a strangle hold on the market.
    Any addresses for the other suppliers.

6. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Didn't know you were in Australia. I was told the other day that there is someone here who can re-certify the existing tanks. They are in the aircraft industry. Ferrarifixer might know the details.

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Nope, I've never asked to re-certify tanks... why would you? Playing with fire. Literally. have you seen how close they are to the exhaust?

When you get new ones alongside old ones, you can easily feel the difference in rubber compliance...

Just compare it to tyres... you'd not drive on 10yr old tyres by choice.... now dip them in and out of fuel for 10 years+, and subject them to extreme engine bay heat cycles....... How safe do you feel now!!

Only half sensible option to replacing bag tanks, would be to convert to alloy tanks from US model... but then... what if......

8. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I know you can get the cells pressure tested. Apparently an approved ahhhhhhhhh, stop gap measure by Ferrari. However i do tend to agree why play with fire.

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Holding pressure is not the problem. 20 yr old tyres will also hold pressure, but they too can fall to pieces easily.

Rubber Fuel tanks get hard and less supple, making them less resistant to impact and vibration/heat cycles.