MOMO Steering Wheel 89 TR | FerrariChat

MOMO Steering Wheel 89 TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by minion, May 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. minion

minion Rookie

Feb 22, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JP
    Need some help guys. Want to get a momo steering wheel for my 1989 TR. From what im understanding, i can get pretty much any wheel i want but need to make sure i get the correct hub adapter. Is this correct? If not please let me know. Secondly, any advise where to get a good price momo steering wheel? Went to ebay and saw a boatload.

Thanks for the help

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, May 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #3 Chiaro_Slag, May 2, 2005
    Here are a couple of pics of what I switched to. Steve is correct - No adapter is needed since the original wheel is also a Momo.

The original wheel is a little too big & thin for my liking - This new one feels much better. It is a Momo Monte Carlo model I think.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. minion

minion Rookie

Feb 22, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JP
    Hey Steve,
    First off I'd like to say thanks a ton for the help with the Radiator fan situation i posted about 2 months ago. I did what you said and you were correct, I needed a new relay. The guy down at Enzo Motors ended up giving it to me for free. Driver side fan works great now. TY

In regards to the steering wheel, is it a difficult process to replace the stock unit? Should i have one of the local Ferrari shops do it or is it feasible for me to replace it? Was wondering also if the original ferrari center cap can still be used?

Thanks again for all your help. Its greatly appreciated.

Minion
    (JP)

5. minion

minion Rookie

Feb 22, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JP
    Just noticed the pictures and see that you were able to use the ferrari center cap.

Thanks
    JP

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's easy to do as long as you use a fresh, high-quality hex wrench (with sharp well-defined corners) so you don't "round out" the (smallish) hex drives on the mounting bolts.

The stock horn button fits fine (there's actually a thin sheet metal piece that you'll reuse to hold the horn button). I decide not to reuse the trim piece that hides the mounting bolts (and so did Jerry), but either way is OK.

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you want to support one of our sponsors, www.polepositionusa.com keeps quite a few in stock. Also, I bought one from www.shopmomo.com for a good price and very quick shipping. By the way, there is a "suede" version of the Monte Carlo which is very similar to what comes on the Stradale. Of course suede may not last as long as smooth leather, but it feels GREAT and isn't expensive. It's the Momo Mod 78 (www.shopmomo.com/momod78raorr.html) -- my stock Ferrari horn button fit fine, and it was a quick replacement with no adapter required.

8. minion

minion Rookie

Feb 22, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JP
    Hey thanks Mike for some direction on this. That suede wheel looks great and bet it feels even better. I will check those sites out you provided for sure. I really appreciate the help and guideance you and Steve have given. Just trying to learn more about my car and where to get parts.

Appreciate all the help.

Thanks
    JP

9. minion

minion Rookie

Feb 22, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JP
    Hey Jerry, didnt see your post. Hope all is well hope, need to hit me up for crystal cove. Wheel looks great!

I noticed in the pictures the "Hex bolts", it should be pretty easy. Ill make sure i get a good quality Hex before attempting.

Dont want to drive you guys to crazy but any advice where to get some brake, clutch and gas pedal replacements? meaning a good after market drilled set? I will check one of the sponsors but if you know of a good quality option it would be appreciated.

You guys are great.

Thanks

JP

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hello!

Didn't recognize the name. :)

I bought pedals from Hill Engineering for my old 328 - They were great. Ultimate Pedals is pretty common also.

Here is the Hill Engineering Site - Just click the link below & then click on pedals on the menu on the left of the page :

http://www.customferrariparts.com/homemainferrari.htm

Like Steve, I preferred not to put back on the ring that hides the bolts on the steering wheel - I prefer the look without it. :)

It's a pretty easy job unless some of the hex bolts are stubborn. But the 328 wheel & TR wheel both came off pretty easily with no hassle. On the TR, just remove the horn & metal ring & undo the bolts. I bought a 1986 TR wheel off ebay & thinking of putting it on My H1 (Don't want to ruin my original TR wheel). It already has a momo wheel on it, so it will be an easy switch.

Let me know when you are going to CC - I haven't been in a while & I am due for a trip there! What city are you in? We should cruise the 2 TR's there together.

11. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A

Steve,
    Will the corse wheel fit the 308??. You mention that your wheel is
    320mm. Looks like they are not making it any longer as they claim it to be 350mm.
    Thanks
    Tommy A

http://www.shopmomo.com/mocostwh2.html

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It's easier if you use a 3mm hex-socket rather than a hex L-wrench if your bolt heads look like they're less than perfect. I had one of mine round out... we used a 1/8" and hammered it in, and then it turned right out. Of course, the head was ruined. But replacements are available at Ace Hardware, believe it or not.
    As already mentioned, Hill Engineering is good, and you can get those from Dan at www.RicambiAmerica.com. However, the guy at www.UltimatePedals.com is also a Ferrari owner and a Ferrari Club sponsor and makes quality stuff -- it's what I have in my car, but he was making them before Paul Hill started.

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #13 Auraraptor, May 2, 2005
    :)

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #14 Mike C, May 2, 2005
  15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Omar - I have the TR wheel I bought, but I haven't fitted it to the H1 yet... Surprised anyone would want pics of that... :)

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes and No. The carbed 308 is the same as a TR MOMO-wise (55mm center hole diameter and 70mm bolt circle diameter), but I think it's been mentioned here that on the 2-valve 308i they changed something in the steering wheel mounting design -- can you measure yours to compare to the 55mm/70mm numbers?

As far as the available sizes -- I don't know what's actually available now. When I bought mine back in ~2000, they offered the MOMO Corse model in both the 320 mm and 350 mm size. I would say that the 320mm is definitely a "smallish" size and that most stock F steering wheels are the 350mm diameter.

(I'm still kicking myself for selling my ex-308 with the 320mm MOMO Veloce steering wheel that it had -- I liked that one even better than the MOMO Corse since the Veloce outer rim had a thicker round cross-section :()

17. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Steve,
    I just called MOMO and asked them if I need a hub since I'm switching from a Nardi to MOMO. They assured me that I don't. They claim that they made all the hubs that year. They told me that if I can measure 70mm from bolt to bolt than their steering wheel will fit.
    Is this possible?
    Tommy A

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #18 Steve Magnusson, May 2, 2005
    Tommy -- I'd agree with them that if you have the 70mm bolt circle AND the center hole measures 55 mm on your existing stock set-up then it would fit for sure. I'm 50% sure that some "incompatibilty" issue has come up before regarding differences in the 308 family (and IIRC "Nardi" was in the conversation) -- but I have no better information than to search here (and "not my homework" ;)). I think the 308QV might have gone back to the carbed 308 set-up so this may be confusing their understanding (or someone please correct me), and why the issue doesn't come up more often (maybe just a few, and not every, 2-valve "i" is incompatible?). Or you could try looking at the SPC illustrations and/or comparing PNs for the steering wheel hubs for the three 308 families at the FerrariUK site.

They might also be assuming that you'd be using a MOMO horn button (mounted to the steering wheel) rather than the F horn button (which doesn't mount directly to the steering wheel). The steering wheel hub on the carbed 308 is like as shown in the Hill Engineering jpeg of their 25 mm extension below. There's a projection of a thin rim section up from the mounting surface so that the O.D. of the rim fits inside the steering wheel's 55 mm center hole, and the horn button fits inside the (smaller) 51 mm ID of the rim section. On the TR, this "rim" is a separate sheet-metal piece, but it serves the same function -- holds the horn button. HTHs -- fill us in when you get it sorted out.

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #19 Chiaro_Slag, May 4, 2005
  20. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I have a 91 Testarossa and I also found the wheel too thin and uncomfortable. I ordered a 512 TR wheel from my local F dealer and it fit the bill. Much thicker rim, and OEM to boot. I don't like the 512 m wheel as it looks like a ricer wheel. The 512 TR wheel cost me $ 850.00 Just unbolt the center nut of the old wheel and pop on the new one...hub and all included.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

21. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    #21 PatrickShim, May 14, 2005
  22. minion

minion Rookie

Feb 22, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JP
    I ended up going with what Steve had. I ordered the "Corse" wheel. Pole position sent me a monte carlo wheel by accident (or who knows) but sent it back because i wanted the corse.

Maybe this story will make you all feel good. My buddy just grabbed a 2003 Lamborghini Murch that was modified. Probably putting out around 620. I ran up against him in my slightly modified Z06 from a role in third and took him. Then we ran from 1st through 3rd and i took him until he started to pull away... His friend in a gallardo was next to us.. Didnt have the TR which i dont think would have faired as well but i owned them though 3 gears .. felt good to neuter the bull and make it a cow LOL.

happy driven
    John