Interview: Owner speaks about 288, F40, F50, and Enzo | FerrariChat

Interview: Owner speaks about 288, F40, F50, and Enzo

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by richard, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Hey guys,

During the Ferrari French Quarter Classic back in October, I conducted a couple of interviews which contained some interesting and amusing information. Two of them in particular I would have liked to have used in the upcoming video, but couldn't due to sound issues. I finally got a free moment, so I transcripted them in case people were interested in what the owner had to say.

This interview is with Dan, a local club member who owns all four of the supercars that Ferrari has produced to date. I thought some of you guys might enjoy it, or find it interesting since he owns handfuls of dream cars. If not, oh well. Either way:

=====================================
    Richard: Dan, having owned every Ferrari supercar, the 288 GTO, the F40, the F50, and now this Enzo, what are your impressions of this [Enzo] against the other Ferrari cars you own?

Dan: Well, this car is big time on embedded technology, whereas the other cars are more “raw”…with the other cars, the driver has to put all the inputs together whereas this car is just computer technology that’s taking in a lot of parameters that are happening with the car, and it sets up the stiffness, ride height, etc. based on what’s going on with the car. So essentially the net effect of all of that is that you can go through turns about 10 or 15 miles per hour faster with this car as you and I experienced yesterday. So whereas if you could take a turn at about 80 miles per hour in the F50, you could take it at about 90 or 95 in this car and have the same basic stability and control. So, that’s the main difference, the amount of embedded technology relative to the other cars.

Richard: So tell me what you think the most important upgrades on the Enzo are over the F50.

Dan: Downforce is the number one thing, but the brakes are also much stronger. The engine is somewhat stronger, 660 horsepower versus the F50 at probably 525. About 20 percent more horsepower. But it’s got enormous stopping power. You can go much deeper before you need to get into the braking zone. Yesterday at the track I was braking much too early most of the time because I was accustomed to driving the F50 and having to brake earlier. So those are the main differences. The downforce and the brakes.

Richard: When you look at the four supercars you own, would you say that the Enzo is a logical progression, that is to say the amount of technology and performance that has been increased from the F40 to the F50 is maintained from the F50 to the Enzo?

Dan: Yeah, I think that’d be a fair way to say it. Keep in mind that the GTO and the F40 are coming from a road car chassis and a road car setup, whereas the F50 and the Enzo are coming from a race car chassis and a race car setup. So the two sets of cars, the 288 and F40 on one hand, the F50 and the Enzo on the other, these cars are not directly related to each other at all. One set is coming from a race series, one set is coming from a road series. The GTO is really the first time Ferrari had a street rod. They basically took a road car, tricked it out and made a street rod out of it. The F40 flowed from that and that was the end of that progression. The F50 started with a whole new clean sheet of paper, straight from Formula 1, and the Enzo likewise. So these cars are from two series, and they are not closely coupled together technology-wise.

Richard: Now, of all your cars, which is your favorite to drive?

Dan: Just for the sake of driving, well, I think it’s about the mood you’re in at the time. It’s kind of like asking what’s your favorite restaurant. Sometimes you want a great steak, sometimes you want Italian food. It’s sort of that way with these cars. The GTO is your best daily driver. The ground clearance makes it a practical car to run errands, it’s fast as greased lightning, lot of fun, gated transmission, you do it all yourself, so you can play with it, run errands, it’s the most practical or the four. The F40 is like an amusement park ride. When you’re trying to get excited and ride a roller coaster, you want your thrills, you can’t beat the F40. The F50 is a completely honest high speed chassis, very race derived, and very powerful. I love to drive the F50 in Colorado in the mountains. The screaming engine sounds like a Formula 1 car, you get the big V12 instead of the small V8, and it’s just incredible for that sort of open-country riding. And then the Enzo, I’ve only had it a month. I can’t tell you anything except that I think it’s like the F50 times two. I think it’s going to be the kind of car that you take on open roads and enjoy the twisties and long straight aways. So you know, you get up in the morning, and you decide what you’re going to do that day, and you pick the right car for the purpose. I love every one of them.

Richard: But you are driving them! How many miles do you have on the Enzo so far?

Dan: I’m right at 2000, maybe a little over 2000. I’ve had it about…a month, about 30 days…as a matter of fact, today is one month, I got it on the 26th of September!

Richard: Well, congratulations!

Dan: [laughs] Well, thank you! We had a great time yesterday.

Richard: Absolutely. You were really puttin’ that thing through the ringer. Definitely a great time. Dan, thanks for your time.

Dan: Okay, Richard.
    =====================================

A side note: Although I don't think he would mind either way, I have intentionally removed Dan's last name from the interview out of respect for his privacy. Please keep that in mind if you know him and make a post about him or his cars.

Cheers,
    Richard

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    very nice article, its good to have someone that has all four say what he likes best about them all.

3. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Very good article! really interesting!
    Thanks!