Connolly Leather no longer used by Ferrari ? | FerrariChat

Connolly Leather no longer used by Ferrari ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by amenasce, Jan 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I read in a french mag that Ferrari wasnt using Connolly leather due to quality pbs ?
    And in another mag, read that the new RR and Bentley GT didnt use Connolly leather as well ...

What happened ?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i thought connolly went out of biz a while back.

doody.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  4. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
  5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Connolly made the mistake of diversifying into other products like suitcases and handbags that never caught on, drove the core of the company under. Shame

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I heard they were using an Italian Co now. Its Conoli leather now :)

7. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Damn Mad Cows

8. jmiles360

jmiles360 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    J. Miles
    The factory uses Schedoni leather

9. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Poltrona Frau is an italian company.

10. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    What kind of quality problems ? At incoming inspection at the factory, or reliability/wear after sale ?

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i wasn't aware that schedoni did cows - just leather manipulation. is that the case now? since ferrari owns schedoni (they do, don't they?) i find it hard to believe ferrari has backward-integrated into the cattle biz!

i remember hearing a story about connolly leather's cows. they apparently had a very specific diet formulated to create the best hides. they washed the cows regularly to keep the hides in good shape. there were no barbed wires or hte likeon the fences around the grazing areas to mar the hides. and once a month or a few times a year each cow got a full "skin treatment" (moisturizers, etc.) to help keep the hide in tremendous shape.

and that's purportedly why connolly leather was so much better than the competition. can anyone confirm their process specifically? i'm curious.

i also heard that ferrari got the "dregs" of the hides. that rolls and bentley and maybe even jaguar got pick of the hides before ferrari did - that ferrari got "what was left over".

doody.

12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Connollys spa for cows. How nice

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fyi - more Poltrona Frau info:

ITALY: http://www.poltronafrau.it/2A/english.htm
    USA: http://www.frauusa.com/second.htm

1912. Renzo Frau, founder, registers the name with the Chamber of Commerce in Torino, Italy.

1926. Poltrona Frau is named official supplier of the "Real Casa".

1930’s. Poltrona Frau, already a symbol of high quality design, is invited to furnish the pride of the Italian Navy: the luxury Ocean liner "Rex".

1962. Frau comes under the direction of Franco Moschini, current President of the firm. Design collaborations are established with leading designers, including: Gio’ Ponti (1965); Marco Zanuso; Mazza and Gramigna; Gae Aulenti; Mario Bellini; Pierluigi Cerri; Tito Agnoli; Vignelli Associates; and others.

1983. Collaboration with F.A.Porsche yields the "Antropovarius" series, a revolution in the fields of both design and ergonomics, still unmatched.

Today. Poltrona Frau has extended its creative design into office and public spaces, leather interiors, and the automotive industry (BMW, Ferrari, Lancia, Mercedes, Nissan, Pininfarina). And after more than eighty-five years, Frau continues to write the most exciting and beautiful pages in the history of Italian furniture.

doody.

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its all true. They are in special controlled areas without barbed wire and to limit insect bites which will definitely mar the hide. Even after brushing and dipping, you can see where a scuff, cut, or an insect bite was.

For Jaguar, there are two types of leather, Connolly and Autolux. Autolux is what they used to call the best of the best Connolly hides and that is the stuff you find in the RR's, Bentley's, and top of the line luxury Jags. The regular run of the mill Connolly hides you and I share are hardly dregs, but, there is a class of Connolly better you and I don't have.

I'm very disappointed that Connolly went out of business. The new Italian leather is not even the same. Its very high quality, but it doesn't have the same aroma, texture, and patina.

Through some channels, you can still get a few unused complete Connolly hides, but it takes several to make up an interior and they aren't cheap!

Sunny

15. shelbee

shelbee Guest

perhaps now "COW-NOLLY leather" being used??