FOC-Midwest: Mid-Late April Drive | FerrariChat

FOC-Midwest: Mid-Late April Drive

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, Mar 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    We have all suffered from cabin fever long enough getting through another Chicago winter. I took a short break from F-Chat to focus on getting the Boxer road & show ready for the upcoming season. My project really helped overcome the winter blues, and now that Spring is only weeks away, we are planning our first drive for the season. Since this is not written in stone, we are open to your suggestions and ideas. This is an open drive. You do not have to be an FOC member to participate.

Our thoughts are:
    Date: Sunday, April 10th, 17th, or 24th
    Meeting time: 11 AM
    Meeting Place: Half Day Inn, Half Day, IL
    Drive to: Williams Bay, Wisconsin (west of Lake Geneva, east of Delevan)
    Brunch or lunch at The Abby, or there is also an Italian Restaurant in the area. I need to check into this further. Lake Lawn Lodge also offers their brunch with courtyard parking for the cars.
    Other: A stop at the Yerkes Observatory. Maybe we will get lucky, and the caretaker will give a tour.

This drive proved to be pretty popular last year. Please give it some thought. I'll be at the karting event this Saturday if you wist to discuss or post any suggestions you may have.
    See you all soon,
    Dave

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That sounds great,Dave. Last years Drive was a Blast!

3. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'm working on the 10th and 17th, but the 24th is wide open!
    Julie and I would love to go. Last year was a blast!

4. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    My car be broken, don't feel like borrowing an exotic or trailing behind in an SUV, oh well.

However... http://astro.uchicago.edu/yerkes/

Get there anytime past noon on a Saturday and I think it's no dice for a quick tour. Hopefully the trees will be in bloom by then as that is an attractive area.

RocketBoy

PS: Why isn't the snow green?

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

It's looking like any of those would be O.K. for me....But,methinks that the later one,on the 24th. Might be better,Weatherwise....But,you never know....

Plus,it would be nice if Spike can join us...:)

6. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    The later date works better for me.

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    David, you're reading our minds.

I have a contact there and a few of us did a private tour last summer. No one else around and the place was closed. It was a spur of the moment thing.

We even got to go to areas that tour groups don't get to see.

When I'm feeling up to it, I want to try and organize a 'private' club event there.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The telescope of the Yerkes observatory symbolically ties this drive together with the summer drive on LSD: It was first exhibited at the Columbian Fair of which the gold statue is left we parked our cars in front of last summer.
    :)

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

O.K.,O.K.....Keep talking about Telescopes,Outer Space and LSD and I'm gonna start having some Flashbacks....:)...Not that thats a Bad thing....:)

10. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Would Sunday, May 1st work for everyone as an alternate to the April dates ?

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Not me. My Daughter is getting Confirmed in the Church that day.

I can do any in April. And,I spoke to a few at the Karting Event that said that the April 24th. Date was good for them.

12. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Congrats to your daughter. I am sure she will look adorable like all the rest of the kids. I still look back on my day with pride...

Next time you will be with her center stage in a church will be for her wedding? This after she asks you to borrow the Ferrari a couple of times in high school so she and the gals can hit the mall. I bet you are looking forward to meeting some dude you don't like and who is afraid of your Italian Mobster look. If you like, you, Don Skip and I will drive him out to the boonies in Wisconsin for a chat.

RocketBoy

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    No problem; we can handle any problem!

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #14 FerrariFrank1, Mar 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank-You,Gentlemen. I really appreciate it! I used to rely on the guys in this Picture to be the ones to help me when the Boys started to come sniffing around.... We were going to place the young lad on a small stool. Bright Lights shining at him. And,ask him what his intentions were...as we cleaned our Guns....:)

But,one of the guys Died. The other moved away. So,I can really use some help from the "Contingent"...:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Poor Dave, his lovely thread gets hijacked.

To hijack it even further: One of my law professors in College was the house lawyer for the Hells Angels in Zurich. He offered quite some poignant views on the law. Probably distorted my own perception for life right then and there...
    :)

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Yes,sorry 'bout that....just answering the question,perhaps a tad out of hand....:) (I think I must have a picture saved for anything...:) ) But,I remember seeing a bunch of Old Harleys and Choppers crated up at the SwissAir Cargo Area,about 15 or so Years ago that were going to Switzerland. Must have been those guys....:)

But,to get back on track here...No,May 1st. I cannot do. But,can do any of the April dates. I thought that most everyone was good on the last weekend in April?

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,if Sundays in April are a problem,then perhaps a Saturday? Then,there's the option of staying over 'til Sunday....If anyone can,or wants to....

And,as far as May goes...Well we have the last weekend of April into May....Sat. April 30th. I cannot do Sunday May 1st.,as I mentioned.

Then,we have Sat. May 7th. But,Sunday the 8th is Mothers Day....

Then,we have Sat. May 14th. But,Sunday the 15th. is the Lilac Parade....

Then,Personally,I am open any other weekend after that...

But,IMHO,April would be best......:)

18. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Sheeet, I'm getting so confused!

Let's start over again.........

19. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    So.....
    April 24th??????????

20. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I want to go, but I think I've got some B.S. family thing that Sunday in Michigan.

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sounds like a Capitol idear.....;0

22. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Besides the fact that I will be out of town, April 23-24 is also the weekend of this track event:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47947

My understanding is that a bunch of Fchatters are going to that, and even if they go on the 23rd it still might detract from participation in another event on the same weekend.

April 30 sounds pretty good, though.

By the way, there will be another drive on May 21 along much of the route we took last October to Starved Rock, but this time we will continue past Starved Rock and on down to Peoria. I have some recommendations for good roads from fchatter Michael B (of the prugna Mondial t), and I understand we may get some Peoria Fchatters to meet up with us for part of the drive and/or lunch. More details to come. This will be (hopefully) another FOC/CAROC joint event.

23. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Would like to try and go, although I am working the weekend of 4/23 and 4/24. The Half Day Inn is all of about 3 minutes from my house.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If nothing else join the group for a cop of coffee. People do it all the time and drop in and out of drives, perfectly fine.

25. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'm going to Joliet on the 23rd, and am more than happy to drive to Wisconsin on the 24th!