328 - The driving experience? | FerrariChat

328 - The driving experience?

Discussion in '308/328' started by tjobrien72, Mar 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tjobrien72

tjobrien72 Rookie

Mar 11, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Tim J O'Brien
    Hi

This is my first post, but I’ve been reading threads old and new for some time now. I’m a major petrolhead and love all interesting cars of all ages, with a slight preference to older models. I’d like to run this scenario past you lot and see what you think.
    I’m fed up of buying a new car every 18 months, and watching it get dinted (by kind others)and stonechipped to oblivion over my typical annual mileage of 25k a year. Then I trade it in and find that I’ve usually made a hefty loss on it to boot.
    I’m hoping to change this by buying a commuter car and an enthusiasts car that I can use at weekends and really enjoy!
    Having took in as much info from old threads as I can, I really feel a 328 would be ideal (actually a 288gto would be ideal, but I have a slight cash flow issue!) I don’t mind high(ish) running costs but I would like to think a 328 would hold its value?
    I notice that there are a fair few of v. low mileage examples over here in the UK but many seem to have had 5-6 owners, I know these cars are getting on so I presume this is typical?
    My main query is what is the driving experience like? I would obviously test one before purchase, but would feel guilty just ‘joy riding’ one until I was confident that a 328 is the right kind of car for me. I have cut my teeth on more mainstream performance stuff like m3’s, Skylines and other bland 4wd turbo thingys. I currently drive a Nissan 350z, this has been my favourite drivers car to date. I have probably come to rely on ABS, ESP, TCS….. a bit too much. I don’t want the fastest thing on the road just a really nice drivers car! Is this the 328?

Any advice would be really appreciated!!!!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you think its a way to go try renting one for a day or two - very easy to get on with and compact on the road - do it & enjoy - running costs should not be appalling (maybe £ 2000 per year) & depreciation (not much)

3. tjobrien72

tjobrien72 Rookie

Mar 11, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Tim J O'Brien
    Thanks! Thats a pretty good option, kind of like an extended test drive without feeling like I've wasted anyones time if I don't take to it (although I seriously reckon I could buy one on looks alone!)

4. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Welcome the Fchat !

I think you have already answered most of your questions :)

Don't let the maitance thing scare you most of it is WAY OVERBLOWN ! Just by a "good" car to start with, make sure it has a KNOWN history, you really want all service records. Make sure it has had a recent major service, if not expect to pay 2500-5,000. usd.

But the cost to maintain a 328 will be MUCH less over 5 years than the depreciation of almost any new car will be the first year. Plus they have all but stopped depreciateing so you can buy a good one drive it for 1,2,3, over 6 years and get all of not more than your money back, try that with a new car !

the 1.00 per mile rule (including insurance and gas) really isn't that for off but goes down the more you drive the car, example if you drive 2,000 mile a year you can expect to put about 2,000$ into it, 1,000 for insurance and 1,000 for maintainace, (500 for fluids changes and 500 for misc.) But if you drive it 5,000 I would expect that is still is only going to cost about 2,000 a year.
    But again this is car depentant some cars drive for 20,000 miles and need nothing but fliud and reg services. But some (here is why history is IMPORTANT) need Thousans to keep them afloat.

As for a driving expirence, it's more emotional than performance based. These cars, ride rough, are hard to steer in parking situations, (no power steering) and they are about as fast as a new minivan.
    But you can't drive one without grinning from ear to ear. (It's called the Ferrari Mystique ;)
    they are very close to the ground. ( you will be looking at a corvette door handal, sitting next to one at a stop light.
    They feel VERY go-cartish, this is one reason I like the 3x8 over the 355's The later the car the less raw it feels. There really is no way to describe what the driving feels like until you've do it. It VERY different than any other car out there.

You can't drive it out in public without getting "thumbs-up's) and people coming over to ask you about it when pumping gas. At almost every stop light you WILL have people staring at you (or the car anyway) and these things are 20+ years old !!
    All three pedals are to the RIGHT of the steering wheel, you kinda sit with your feet angled toward the center of the car, (this is becuase the wheel wells come into the cabin.
    I'm sure there is a fchatter near you who'd LOVE to take you for a spin. Just look around.
    Good Luck !

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I used to shake my head in confusion with people who bought a new car every few years. The depriciation is appalling even with cars that hold value well like a Lexus or Honda. Buying a fully depriciated Ferrari like a 328 is an EXCELLENT idea! And have a driver car that you'll keep for the bad weather or when the Ferrari is in the shop. You'll pay the maintainence etc. for the Ferrari but you'll get back what you paid, or close to it at least if you decide to sell it.

Life is short; buy the Ferrari but be sure you get one that's in excellent condition or you may have more headaches than it's worth.

Ken

6. tjobrien72

tjobrien72 Rookie

Mar 11, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Tim J O'Brien
    Thanks Guys!

This is the kind of encouragement I need!!

All my friends would be more like

"what do you want that old thing for? my Evo17version25mrfq5000... does 0-60 in 3 seconds"

I just adore the shape of the 3x8, it's still amazing! I notice mainly GTS's are available I don't really have a preference but presumed that a GTB might drive more solid, no one seems to mention this, what do you think?

PS Ken - A lotus Europa! Brill! my dad used to own early Elans and elites (climax eng.) I've got a major soft spot for all Lotus!

7. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I would go for the gts, much more fun in good weather. But the gtb's are more rare and are a tad stiffer, but unless you're really into tracking you won't notice a difference.

8. tjobrien72

tjobrien72 Rookie

Mar 11, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Tim J O'Brien
    Did you say "good weather"? Have you seen where I live?

Seriously though, good to know that the GTS's are a good option, I've seen very few GTB's for sale

9. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Why do you think are so many more gts than gtb ?, stick with the classics kid, that's why they classic !

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Look up the word "slow" in the dictionary and you will see a photo of a 328. :) Just kidding, but if you are considering buying a Ferrari, you can get a TR for just a little more than a nice 328 and have MUCH more car. Never settle for an 8 when you can have a 12.

11. tjobrien72

tjobrien72 Rookie

Mar 11, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Tim J O'Brien
    I think TR's are great! a real 80's icon, I had a poster of one on my bedroom wall before I was old enough to drive! I think the running costs would be out of my league though.
    Is a 328 really that lame? I mean performance is not my main issue, but I like a bit of power, they are quoted as same power as my 350z and that holds its own (over here anyway) with most stuff.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Frank is a V12 bigot and a troll.

The 328 is not a supercar anymore, but will hold its own in traffic. The main drawback to the 328 is a lack of torque down low, which means that many things are faster off the line than it.

I use my 328 as a regular driver, and I like the car. It's noisy, rough, and handles like a go-cart. It's not nearly as fast as modern cars, but it feels a lot faster due to the connection with the road. Modern cars insulate the driver too much. That's good if you want to just cruise, but not good if you want to go play.

Frankly, law enforcement is getting to the point that you can't use the capabilities of even a minivan on the street anymore, so fun at lower speeds is the key these days.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Wrong again.FYI, the 328 was never a "supercar". I love 328s; my first car badged as a Ferrari was a 1986 328GTS. Since, I have owned a TR, 400GT, 330GTC, 348Spider and my current BB512i. So, I do have some experience to base my opinion on the differences between at least those 6 models. The fact is for the price a TR is a no brainer as compared to a 328. In fact, my big old 400GT five speed was faster and more fun to drive than my little 328GTS, and man did it sound BETTER! There is nothing like the sound of a Ferrari 12 cylinder engine.

14. tjobrien72

tjobrien72 Rookie

Mar 11, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Tim J O'Brien
    I think you have a very valid point (about low speed fun that is, I can't comment on whether Frank is a troll)

A few years ago I would have sympathised with your situation regarding speed enforcement, but I reckon it can't be any worse now than over here, It's a joke! That's why I gave up riding big cc motorbikes you only got a feeling of adrenalin at ban inducing speeds, the bikes limits were so much higher than the legal ones it was pointless and/or dangerous.
    Lack of low down torque you mention, is that a big issue or do you just learn to drive round it? What sort of RPM can you expect the motor to be happy pulling from if you want to relax a bit?

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The 328 may have the same HP as a 350Z, but not the same torque. A 350Z will leave it in the dust.

Compared to the modern performance cars you have been driving, the 328 will be slow and poor handling. The 328 chassis setup dates to the late 60's. HOWEVER, the 328 is more fun to drive than almost any modern car you can name. The handling is beautifully balanced and graceful, the steering direct and more communicative than about any road car you can have. The power is enough to be entertaining. I used to have an M3, thought it was just plain dull compared the 328 even though it can run circles around it. I now have a Subaru WRX STI which handles great, but not beautifully like the 328.

In summary, 328's are great classic cars, beautiful to look at, a joy to drive, but can't compete with modern iron. If you approach it from that perspective, you will not be disappointed.

By the way, I have owned a GTS and now a GTB. The GTB is a much better car. I expect to keep it until I am dead. (Hopefully not too soon!)

Dave

16. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    It it fast enough for two things,

1. To get you a LARGE speeding ticket, it will do 240+ km/h
    2. To be VERY fun in the twisties.

Also the sound is VERY nice especially above 4,500 rpms !!

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Think of all the roads you loved on your bikes - then think about lugging an obese lump around them - and buy a 328 GTS - sunny day - roof off - somewhere like Buxton-Macclesfield - you really do not want a 512 / TR for that

18. tjobrien72

tjobrien72 Rookie

Mar 11, 2005
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Tim J O'Brien
    No word of a lie, I was just on Autotrader looking at TR's when that mail popped up! They look like an awful lot of car for the money though. The running costs would be enough to scare me off though.

19. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Tr are a big car wider than a transit van, though they do look great I had that poster on my wall when I was a kid. 328 will be better down the cat and fiddle. I used to go home to my parents that way up in Chorley in my 308gt4. As for performance 328 is a quicker car than the 350z it weighs less but you will have to work harder in the 328 (more of a drivers car). Before I had my 308 I had a modded Porsche 944 turbo this was alot faster but didn't give me the driving rewards that the 308 does. My everyday car is a modded Saab 9000 Aero which can surprise many a Scooby but the Ferrari is more alive. Get a 328 and you will have a depreciation free motoring they are fairly reliable last evolution of 308 range. But do shop around and get a good one that's been used and not sat in a garage. Good luck

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Absolutely true. I'd add that, everytime I've bought a new car that was in the current uber-fast category, five years later it would be midpack. So at some point you just have to decide if the car's fast enough to put a smile on your face and forget the horsepower race. My brother's '90 911 was scary fast when it was new, and by the time he sold it there were Acura/Hondas that would have it for lunch. But he didn't much care.

Having driven a 328GTS (I don't own one, but have been actively looking), I'll say you need to enjoy that engine symphony behind your head, because you'll be revving the engine. With the top in place, it's either wonderfully or annoyingly loud, depending on your current activity. (For context: In my job, I sometimes get stuck on conference calls while I drive from San Diego to L.A.) The gated shifter is fussy at first compared to other cars, but then you get used to it and fall in the love with the feel of it. Your first few drives you will probably watch the selector lever, then it gets to be second nature.

The warmup is longer than with modern cars, and the gearbox needs to be warm before it works properly. If you plan to jump in, turn the key and pull off in a cloud of tire smoke -- well, don't.

The driving involvement is simply incredible compared to any street car - the Lotus Elise is close, but felt cramped and cheap inside (IMHO - but I'm only 5'8"). Even nice cars like the 996/986 Porsches don't make you feel as much like a Schumacher wannabe. "Boring refinement" maybe?

Comments on the steering are accurate - no power assist. Again, if your primary driving is in parking lots, side streets and shopping centers, make sure your test drive includes parking in a typical situation. And do more bicep curls.

As an everyday car, you might check the luggage capacity, which isn't stellar. I use a Jeep Liberty (cheap but decent sport ute in the States) for hauling groceries, mulch, etc. Not to dissuade you, because I don't know your budget, but a Ferrari as an only car wouldn't be my recommendation (zipping up flame suit here....)

Jon

21. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    >Perry308QV wrote:

>>At almost every stop light you WILL have people staring at you (or the car anyway) and these things are 20+ years old !! <<<

Do you mean the car...OR the "things" looking at you?? HAHAHA!

Couldn't resist!

Chris

22. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Go for it - You will love it.

It is not the fastest car on the road, but just a kick to drive.

23. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    MY ONE IS ALMOST A DAILY DRIVER, NO PROBLEMS ON THAT.
    COST:
    A LOT OF PEOPLE IS SCARED, PERHAPS WITH REASON. BUT IF YOU FIND A PROPERLY MAINTAINED CAR YOU WILL BE ABLE TO USE IT FOR AGES WITH LOW-ISH COSTS
    SPEED:
    WHO CARES, UNLESS YOU USE IT ON THE TRACK SPEED CAMERAS AND POLICE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE TO REMIND YOU THAT YOU MUST NOT EXCEED 70 MPH (ASK ME WHY I KNOW...)
    ACCELERATION:
    ADEQUATE, NOT CLOSE TO THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE ANY MORE.
    FUN TO DRIVE:
    TONS OF IT.
    CIAO
    EUGENIO

24. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Bullfighter,
    I just added a Lotus Elise to the motor pool a couple of weeks ago. It is a very raw, visceral, minimilist car. It makes me think minature Daytona prototype. However, it is the very epitome of impractical. It takes considerable agility just to get in and out. Once in, it actually has more headroom than a 328, but less leg room. The ride is punishing, but the handling is other worldly. One could argue that this is what the original Dino's should have evolved into instead of the current, much larger 360-430's, but that's another subject, and I'm not taking sides.
    Bottom line: 328's are great cars and great classics for the money.

Dave

25. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    I really enjoy my 328. Great fun for the buck.

For many it is either their first or last Ferrari so common to see them with a good number of owners.

Watch for bogus mileage. No big deal to disconnect or replace the speedo. So paperwork is a very good thing.

I see you live in England. I hear that the TR is not well liked due to it's extreme width making it hard to drive around. Is this true?