Building a kit car for fun and to track... instead of using 355 | FerrariChat

Building a kit car for fun and to track... instead of using 355

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ade, Mar 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Guys,
    I'm going to start building a couple of 'kit' cars with a friend this spring/summer once we have found the right warehouse space to rent. Has anyone got any good advise, who has done this sort of project before, any good experience with sourcing tools/lifts in the UK?

The kit I'm looking at the moment is 850 kg with a honda VTEC engine donor and our target power for our intial designs is one 300 bhp version (using mainly stock honda parts) and one 500 bhp version (pretty much only using bare block).

Anyone gone through the process of road registering and insuring a high power kit car? any advice or experiences would be very welcome...

Don't worry, I'll make sure my 355 is still faster and better on the track at the end of the day :)

Thanks
    Ade

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Ade,
    speak to/PM Mark Collins and James Shand. Both built P4 replicas.

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    ade not knowing you that well if you are not very mechaaically minded person who messes all the time and has lots of tools and equipmqent i would not bother as it will be alot cheaper to buy one as its not as easy as it looks 70% of people who start these projects never finish then

4. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Steve M8,

This is quite excellent advice. The pleasure of such projects almost invariably metamorphose into pain and to such a degree that it eventually becomes a sublime pleasure to divest one's self from them.

These things are an absolute nightmare to get through the regulations. It is at this point that so many kit car builders 'run out of steam' and sell them on at a consequential loss.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are - Tea Arse - Tear Arse

5. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    When I bought my previous house it came with an abandoned kit car project. The frame was in the front garden, and the body in the back garden. The two pieces would not fit together and the chap just gave up.

On the other hand, my neighbour built a 3 wheel kit car from scratch. It turned out a treat and only took 18 months, but he was retired and worked on it full time.

6. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Yes, I agree with your comments so far, hence I'm doing the project with a professional mechanic at my side. It might be more simple if we build exactly the same spec car... hence simplifying the project perhaps?

However I want to be able to offer something more to the equation (rather than just 'another pair of hands'). Hence I'm looking for some details and specific of the troubles people have had with registration process... specifics of things that have tripped people up in past etc etc.

Thanks Tony, I'll get in touch with them if they don't post here! :)

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    I can give you a contact for either new / secondhand lifts - PM me if you need details.

8. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Ade, take the time to read through this in detail - it describes the build process someone I know went through to build a replica Diablo - a lot of it will be relevant to what you would be undertaking. You can see that he heartache he went through, and why many people fail to finish these sort of projects:

http://www.lamboreplica.co.uk/indexframe.html

PS this guy runs a car modification business, so knows what he is doing, still he almost gave up on the project....

9. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I started building a Cobra kit about 6 years ago, but got bored and left it where it was, you either have to commit to finishing one of these, otherwise you will lose a lot of time,effort,skin,blood and of course money, but if you do finish the reward will be great, you will be driving/racing a car that you yourself built, the feeling is great.

10. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    Why not save the time & effort and buy and ariel atom?

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    While the Atom is great peice of kit, it also cost £30k. I'm assuming Ade doesn't want to spend that much on an occasional use trackday car?

12. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Ade ive built a few kit cars at home for friends but dont anymore due to lack of time,you'll need a SVA manual to help you,i have the manual if you want to borrow it m8,if you need any alloy panels let me know i can get them lazer cut to any size also alloy fuel tanks ade,

Dale.

13. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Correct, my budget is 20K for the complete build of one. Kit im looking at is 13K inc interior, donor is about 2K, mods up to 2K, 3K contigency.

Tools, rent (etc) we are going halves with a total budget of 20K, however much of that will be recoverable after we are finished, especially if we buy second hand which is the initial idea...

I like the Ariel, however this project is more for the fun of building the car ourselves, learning from the whole process and therefore being able to modify it ourselves easily afterwards.

14. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Thanks Eric, that REALLY useful!! I'll have a good read... thats the sort of stuff I'm looking for!

15. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Ade

Having re-built a P4 replica I agree with a number of people on here that it is easy to see how one could give up. I am nearing the end and it is a satifying result. Many many hours in the garage !!!!

The guys at NF auto have been a great help to me and you can buy almost anything you need from them. www.nfauto.co.uk

Good luck
    James

16. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You could do worse than to look at Caterham!!

Rock solid residuals + on a current reg plate not Q once through SVA

for 20K you could spec a really nice roadsport or something like the Tracksport they built 18 months ago. Do a search for Caterham Tracksport

Dave

17. BrianDrought

BrianDrought Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Milton Keynes
    You could build yourself an Elise from a crashed car and put a 2.0 Duratec / Honda / Audi 1.8T in it for that sort of money......... ?

18. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Ade,

I have 4 wheelbarrow wheels and Stevef just gave me a FS1E engine that needs attention ( he carnt fix it) If we can get an old F40 shell we have all we need to get this project off the ground.lol

Seriously m8, good luck with it, what about a VW golf with no suspension wound up wild turbo lump pumping out 350 bhp , set of compomotives , lowered and you can wipe most out other cars on most trackdays.....

AS SEEN AT EASYTACK BRANDS recently.....

ps driven by 70yr old nutcase.

19. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    ADE
    free advice buy a car dont start this project only 30%of people finish them i am being serious now i dont want you to say in a year you were right
    my mate has a garage started a westfield on a new chassis 4 years ago had £9000 in it unfinished in parts not costing his time took £3500 for it just before xmas dont do it if you are the limetrees i will tell you all the pitfalls

20. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Whilst not disputing the above PM/speak to subirg as he has just finished his Westfield and was at Oulton Park last weekend with it.

21. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    westfields are great track toys have a few friends with them but us eldery overweight gents dont fit in the bloddy seat and that was a widebody one that i tried

22. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I never said it was a good getaway car for stealing all the pies from a bakery!

23. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    PIES PIES PIES PIES PIES PIES PIES THAT WORD IS TABOO ON HERE SOME PEOPLE TAKE OFFENCE AT THE PIE WORD BUT DONT WORRY MATE IT DONT BOTHER ME

PROPER FERRARI'S HAVE 12 CYLINDERS IN THE REAR

24. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Is there a specific kit you're looking at? 850kg isn't that light really, and for a track toy, getting the weight right down is a very good idea.

I'm obviously somewhat biased, but Aztec's suggestion is a very good one.

25. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    so does that mean all us fat b4stards need a remote control track car to keep the weight down thats not fun