HI AIRFLOW CAT CONVERTERS FOR 512TR | FerrariChat

HI AIRFLOW CAT CONVERTERS FOR 512TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ferrari Mackintosh, Feb 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    Hi I need a pair of sports (high airflow) catalytic coverters for a Ferrari 512TR that are reasonably priced. Can anyone advise me?

2. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I too am looking into some high performance, lightweight and durable cats. There's a new breed of cats available. I'm trying to find an aftermarket source. I've come across these cats but have yet to speak to someone. The metal cats flow much better than ceramic and are said to be very durable, small and light weight.
    http://www.randomtechnology.com/products.html

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I have a Hyper-Flow cat on my Ferrari and a Random Technology cat on my truck. Both work great and were fairly priced.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  6. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    The Random Technology cats are used on race cars, are light weight, and Metal Matrix. Best of all? They're about $200 each! FYI, when your bypass valve opens on your 355 it opens pipes that run to metal matrix style cats because these cats outflow ceramic cats. They weigh around 5-6lbs and outflow OEM cats and will pass emissions. However, like all aftermarket cats, they are not CA Certified. Apparently it costs too much so the aftermarket has largely decided not to bother.

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I don't know why you say that regarding California certification. From Random Tech website's home page: "This design, which meets Federal EPA and California ARB requirements..." and there's a similar statement on the SportsCarConverters website.

I'm VERY interested in either the SportsCarConverter or RandomTech for my 308QV. SCC has them already... RandomTech doesn't list *any* Ferrari models on their site.

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Michael,
    What he means is the "legal speak" used on the sites....what they claim is that they "meet" requirements, they are not certified or registered. Read the details more closely and you will find these statements:
    On the Random Tech site:
    Please note that no aftermarket catalytic converters are legal for installation in California on OBD II vehicles (some 1994 & 1995, and all 1996 and later vehicles).

On the Sportscarconverter site:
    For Sale or Use in California:

Any catalytic converter offered for sale on this web site designed for an OBD II equipped automobile (mostly 1996 and newer vehicles) is legal for sale in "49 states", but not in California.

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has not certified any new, aftermarket catalytic converter from any manufacturer for use or sale in California on an OBD II equipped vehicle.

Until CARB certifies an aftermarket converter, no company can legally supply a new, aftermarket catalytic converter for OBD II equipped vehicles for use or sale in California.

Michael,
    sounds like pre OBDII cars are fine, but post, NOT in California......as long as they are not inspecting the cats during the test, and they pass the sniffer test, I would figure who cares? ;)

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Dave: thanks for the explanation and clarification -- I get it now regarding the difference in meeting requirements versus being certified or actually legal! But I agree with you regarding the sniffer test... if they pass, who cares?

10. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004

Why?

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well, Random Technology cats are NOT $200 for a Ferrari! When I emailed them an inquiry about Ferrari applications and prices, here is what they said:

"Please reply all Ferrari inquiries to Troy at www.hyper-flow.com

Thanks
    Clay"

So I think we know who's the oem manufacturer for Hyper Flow cats... ;)

12. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    IF you ask for a "Ferrari" part you will pay a Ferrari price! However, a cat is a cat, some better than others, but theyy're using the same basic technology (either metal matrix or ceramic). So, you get an exhaust shop to install a generic fit cat. Simply get your intake and exit pipe diameters and order a cat that matches! So, pay $2xx for a universal fit or pay $$$ for a "Ferrari" cat. It's not what you make, its what you keep.

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Depending on the car (like my 308QV) you still have the issue of proper fittings for O2 sensor and thermocouple. I'd probably go with a Sports Car Converters unit for $350 rather than try to get a "universal" from Random Tech modified.

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would have to agree...

15. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I've just ordered a set of cats (2) that are "High flow". I'm told they weigh about 6 pounds each. Large Diameter cases. They are said to have improved noise deadening qualities with a muffling system within. I shall receive them next week and have a custom exhaust built without mufflers and test this cat w/ built in muffler. If the 12 screams like she should and makes more power and I loose 40?, 50?, 60? pounds off the rear of the car I'll be very happy. I'll take it and get it smogged as well to see if she passes the California emissions test.

16. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    Let us know how it turns out and don't forget the pictures.

17. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I've just replaced my exhaust system. Gone are the precats, factory cats and massively heavy muffler. In its place is a true dual exhaust. It's amazing how much space there is back there now without the muffler! I'm using two 3" high flow cats that feature built in resonaters these then feed directly into Ansa Silver line tips. I've not weighed all the old exhaust components, but estimate weight around 80 pounds. The new system weighs just 20 pounds, including the resontated chromed tips! The Ferrari sounds amazing! If you've heard the Tubi or Capristo exhausts on other V12 cars (e.g., Murcielago) then you know how good a free breathing 12 cyl can sound! Drove the TR to the Long Beach Grand Prix and the Ferrari caught everyone's attention driving down the main drag as it sounded better than most of the race cars! I'm having a second made to copy system if anyone's interested! Cost from headers to tips is about $950 and includes cats so you can still pass emissions. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. Vrooooom!

18. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    What shop did your fabrication? I'm in LA and need a good fabrication shop for exhaust work myself (not a Ferrari owner though).

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Also are the Random Tech metal cats CARB approved? I know their ceramics are. I didn't see anything on the site saying so but I was wondering if they'd given you some info that hadn't been posted.

19. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    EXCELCIORZ,
    This all sounds great, but I would like to know if there is any useful increase in Torque or BHP now that you have these new cats in place. You should get your car dynoed to find out.

20. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I never understood why one could not just get a:

Universal Fit Catalytic Converters

Round, Metal Matrix
    7000 Series-- 2", 2-1/4", 2-1/2", 2-3/4", 3", 3-1/2" and 4" inlet/outlet

Round, Ceramic
    8100 Series-- 2", 2-1/4", 2-1/2" and 3" inlet/outlet

Oval Ceramic
    8000 Series-- 2", 2-1/4", 2-1/2" and 3" inlet/outlet

9000 Series-- 2", 2-1/4", 2-1/2", 3", 3-1/2" and 4" inlet/outlet

They are super cheap. Just match the pipes up fore and aft and go!

Either that or measure it and find out which 'normal manufac.' cat best matches and use that. I would imagine it would be 1/2 the price.

21. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I too would like to have them dynoed. Would require dyno time with old then new. ANd of course, more money. Seat of the pants, car feels a tad faster. Probably a combination of a 60 pound weight reduction as well as an estimated gain of about 7 plus HP. The Euro cars make that much more HP and the main difference, as I understand it, is they don't have the restrictive pre-cats.