An EASIER way to do suspension bushings | FerrariChat

An EASIER way to do suspension bushings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Feb 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #1 Birdman, Feb 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Everyone,
    Many of you may remember that last winter Verell and I went through the rear suspension of my 308 and did the bushings, powder coated the A arms, etc. and wrote it all up here. That was an example of "doing it right" and taking lots of time to make the suspension better than new.

Well, what I'm about to demonstrate is the opposite. This is what I call the "Get it done, spring is coming" technique.

The problem with these suspension bushings is that they are welded into the A arms and to replace them requires grinding out the welds, pressing out the old bushings, pressing in the new ones, and tack welding them. (Much discussion went into this in the past, and YES you HAVE to weld them).

Someone asked at the end of that previous thread if it would be possible to retrofit new "guts" into an old bushing, thereby eliminating the grinding and welding. The answer is YES! Please observe!

(FYI, this is an A arm from an '83 Mondial. It has the same inner A arm bushings as a 308 and that's what I'm demonstrating...a rear, inner, bushing guts replacement.)

Image 1 is the dead bushing that caused the need for me to do this job. If your bushings look like this (YIKES!), it's time for new bushings, man!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy likes this.
  2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #2 Birdman, Feb 25, 2005
    OK, you will notice that the OEM bushing has an outer shell which is pressed into the A arm, and an inner "tube" which is flanged out like a trumpet on both ends to hold it in, with rubber in between. To get the guts out, you need to cut the flange off one end. It's easiest to cut off the inner flange so you can press the rest out. I used a sawzall rather than an air grinder because the rubber fouls the grinding disk.

First pic shows the cutting process and second is the result.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #3 Birdman, Feb 25, 2005
    BTW, on that last step, be careful to keep the saw away from the A arm. Just cut the bushing! A Sawzall with a new metal blade goes right through the bushing in about 20 seconds, so this is easy.

Now you can press out the guts. If you select the right size pressing impliment (i.e. socket size!) you can press the inner metal tube and rubber all out at the same time. I honestly have no idea if you can do this step without a press. That rubber is REALLY stuck in there, because it's bonded somehow to the inside of the outer bushing.

For those of you who roll your eyes and say "Oh, well sure, that guy has a press. I don't have tools like that." I ordered this press from Harbor Freight on sale for $79 plus $9 shipping and another $17.95 for the arbor plates. Yes, a tiny bit over $100 delivered to my door by UPS. It's a cheapo Chinese 12 ton press that will do 90% of the things the average home car nut will need for cheap money. Works great!

BTW, in the pictures, I'm not actually pressing. When you press, you need to sit the bottom of the A arm with the bushing into a metal tube of some sort to support it all the way around the bushing so you don't bend the A arm. This was just for pics. (I couldn't hold the entire thing and the camera by myself!) I went down to the hardware store and bought a bunch of different sized iron pipe fittings to use as press accoutrements, but some people who have a large selection of monster-sized sockets just use those.

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #4 Birdman, Feb 25, 2005
    OK, so here's what you get...the OEM outer bushing (still welded into the A arm) is now "gutless". The rubber actually comes out fairly cleanly. I expected to be using a wire brush on the inside and scraping all the rubber pieces out, but there was very little clean up. Once the rubber is broken free by the press, it comes out pretty cleanly.

Next pic shows the mangled guts that come out and you can see the inner "tube" that I cut off with the sawzall.

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #5 Birdman, Feb 25, 2005
    Now we get out a nice Energy Suspension ("ES") bushing. These are made of polyurethane rather than rubber and people have debated if these are better or worse than OEM. What I can tell you is this...if you want to do this type of "cheater" bushing replacement, you must use the ES bushing because you can't transplant the guts of an OEM bushing. The ES model number is 13-3101 G (30 mm diameter) and you can get it from http://www.suspension.com/ferrari.htm (Suspension Restoration company) and they are currently $21 a bushing. (Yes, they went up since last year).

The bushing comes as two pieces that snap together. However, the guts of this bushing is only lightly pressed into the outer shell, and comes right out. (See second pic).

The shell is almost the exact same size in all dimensions as the OEM shell.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #6 Birdman, Feb 25, 2005
    The ES bushings each come with a little packet of super tacky lube. Spread some lube on the polyurethane guts, and spread some inside the outer shell of the bushing on the A-arm, and then stuff the guts into the shell. You will find that it's tight, but not so tight that you can't "press" it together with just arm power as long as it has been lubed with the goop. In fact, the tightness is exactly the same as the tightness of the guts in the original ES shell. They're the same inner diameter.

Tip: The guts are pushed in from the inside of the A arm, not the outside. (Just assemble it the way it would be assembled if you hadn't recycled the outer shell and the direction is obvious).

Next, pop the other end of the bushing on, and you're done.

You can do each A arm in about 30 minutes or less. It actually takes longer to get the A arm off the car than to do the bushings!

Happy Suspension rebuilding

Birdman

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    MANY thanks Birdman.

This is going in my personal tech notebook for future reference.

As I recall, the 328 and 308 use the same bushing setup, correct?

8. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Thanks for the great post and information. I'll be doing mine this way this coming fall.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You're welcome! This has been on the list of things Verell and I were going to test out for a year, but it took me this long to buy another car to test it on!

As for the 328/308, I'm not sure. I've never peeked under a 328. I can tell you that these are the same bushings for all 308s and at least the Mondial 8/QV. Beyond that, I'm guessing.

Birdman

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    oh yeah, I forgot the disclaimer, before anyone does this.

DISCLAIMER: I'M A TOTAL SHADETREE MECHANIC AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL I'M TALKING ABOUT HALF THE TIME, SO TAKE MY ADVICE WITH CAUTION!

Please use your own judgement when doing this and if something doesn't look right (like the bushing isn't tight in your OEM outer shell for some reason, or whatever else might be wrong) don't assemble your Fcar into an accident waiting to happen!!

THIS PROCEDURE IS POSTED FOR YOUR VIEWING ENJOYMENT ONLY! ;)

11. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Interesting! Thank you

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Tnx Birdman,
    Now we know fer sure! This really cuts down on the amount of tricky work for a suspension rebuild!

Don't need to buy a press either,
    Most machine shops will be willing to press your old bushings out for a few bucks.

13. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    likewise, great idea, thanks

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Absolutely, but WAY more fun to have your own! ;)

15. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    It is good to know that it can be done that way, and I'm by no means trying to knock anyone.
    But if you have bought a Ferrari, and are now going through it,
    why do it half assed?
    Maybe it's just me, but when I did my suspension there is no way I would have slapped A-arms back into my car looking like crap.
    If you are going to take the time to replace the bushings,
    then take the time to do it right, Clean/media blast/paint!

Just my 2 cents.

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Great info, and sounds like a huge time saver.

Anyone know (long term mind you) how that grease works out? I have heard mentioned that after a couple years, you can start getting squeaking from those style bushings. I have also heard (or seen posted) people using anti-seize grease instead of the stuff ES provides, and that it is much longer lasting....any comments from those "in the know"?

Dave

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Dave,
    I respect your opinion. When I did my 308, we went overboard, sand blasted and powdercoated the A arms, etc. Guess what? Nobody can see them and knows they are powder coated except me, and it makes no difference at all to the ride of the car. If the things have a decent coat of paint on them and aren't going to rust, some of us don't feel the need to "restore" the entire suspension. This Mondial is a daily driver, not a showpiece. By doing this method it might not be as pretty as doing it the "right" way but the suspension is fixed, the car will drive fine and it didn't take me a month and cost a fortune. Now I can put all that effort I saved into something else on the car. I think referring to this procedure as "half assed" is a little extreme, but everyone is entitled to their opinion! (I didn't refer to your suspension rebuild as half-assed because you ONLY painted yours, and didn't actually go the extra mile and powder coat them!) ;)

Respectfully,
    Birdman

Incaico likes this.
  18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Dave,
    I only have a year on the ones in the 308 (not exactly long term) but no squeeking yet.
    Birdman

19. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    If you're going to go that far you might as well push out the old bushing all the way and get EVERYTHING clean.

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sean,
    I agree. If I were going to do a real suspension restoration, I would just go all the way and replace everything, including the shocks and bushings. Like I said in the first post, this is the "Get it done, spring is coming" technique! I'm sure plenty of people here will like that option. Not everyone wants a month-long suspension project when they just need some new bushings.

Birdman

21. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Than you Birdman for the fine post.

Now everybody has a choice on how to do the bushings.

I personally think this is a great technique and, I guess, the A arms can still be made clean, painted and beautiful without taking the outer sleeve out.

Tyanks again for taking the time to document the procedure so well.

22. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i have used energy Suspension bushings in my muscle cars for years. if and when they squeak, i shoot them with a quality silicone lube. a small paint brush and Marvel Mystery oil or similar work well also. i tend to use what i have in the shop at the time. just dont get lube on the brake components!! :)

Birdman, dude, you are my hero, hats off to you for this thread :) Michael

23. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Birdman,
    this is excellent...going to save me a ton of time this spring. I must say that I think this method is a) a safer way of doing it (I have one of the harbour freight presses too and they can be dangerous and have had old bearings go flying out) B) reduce the chance of damaging your a-arm in the press (I once had a shop destroy an a-arm on an old camaro by exerting too much pressure when pressing out a bushing c) you reduce the risk of burning the urethane if you had to tack weld...which by the way would burn off the pretty cad plating on the new bushing anyway d) you still have the opportunity to paint or powder coat the a-arm. This is by no means half-assed...I say it is working smarter.
    Regards,
    Paul

24. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I did a similar job on my 208 GT4. There weren't any welds, and the flanges were only at one end. I did it using a gear pulling tool with the A arm still on the car...it was an absolute b*st*rd!

25. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Birdman, you are to be commended. Anyone who would suggest this as half assed is just blowing smoke. So what if you leave the outer OEM sleeve inside. If its the "identical" size to the replacement, and the original isnt worn, what would you gain, another weld? I remember reading about the suspension upgrade a while back and someone asking if it could be done this way. Now thanks to this "get er done" thread, we all know it CAN be done. And done in an afternoon by the looks of it, instead of a week. A couple minutes in a parts washer, a little blasting and a shot of paint and would look like new. One question, it looks in the one pic there is a "lip" inside the end of the old bushing sleeve. Was it necessary to smooth that out to fit the new bushing?

Now I have to really ask. Compared to OEM rubber bushings, how does the car drive and handle with poly bushings? The squeaking thing would drive me insane, I could never handle the slightest squeaks from the suspension. Has anyone had squeaks from poly bushings, and how hard is it to make it stop? Could grease zerks be installed to grease them internally to make them hold up longer? Also, is there any wear on the pivot bolt or does the bushing stay tight on the bolt and the arm pivots around the outside of the stationary bushing?