New Addition to the Stable! | FerrariChat

New Addition to the Stable!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by richard_wallace, Feb 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    #1 richard_wallace, Feb 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I picked up a new addition to the Stable today - but I have moved slightly over to the dark side :)

Here is what she is: 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo (Silver - don't know the official colors yet of these bulls) with two tone Black and Tan interior.

This car was manufactured in 10/03 and brought to the Detroit Auto Show in 2004 by Lamborghini - where this particular car and a yellow one were on display. Here is a link to the Display at the 2004 NAIAS in Detriot Michigan - http://www.fast-autos.net/features/04naias/lamborghini.html

The Car and the yellow one was featured in Autoweekly and a few mags overseas. A few "first drives", photos, etc. This Car and the yellow one was also used in Lamborghini's Press Packet on the (then) new Gallardo.

I was also told that it was the only 04 that was silver with the black and tan - but I have not verified this one - and since you could custom order anything you want then and now - I am doubtful of this one.

After the first drives, car show, etc. it did a brief tour around a few shows - and Nelson Automotive Group ended up with the car - and I am now the proud owner! I picked it up with 800 miles on the clock.

First Impressions after I drove it 200 miles today:

The first thing you will notice on these cars is the excellent interiors - It is almost too nice. I am so used to mostly the bare minimums. This thing has every option except e-gear and the glass bonnet cover. Power all way seats, lumbar, heated seats, dual climate control, man you would think I was in a Audi.. errr...(I can be a smart asp - since I am now an owner).

The Leather is excellent, it has some fancy seude head liner that is really soft and fun to draw shapes on, the stitching is incredible, Layout is good, heck even the radio is not bad. The outside mirrors that will autmatically fold against the car for parking close, etc. (Found this one out by trying to adjust the mirrors - thought I really messed it up there for a minute).

So then you turn the key to the first position - you get a series of checks going on - with the onboard computer - nice color display. The onboard computer tells you everything from break wear to miles to empty, you can program it to give you speed alerts to ensure you are aware you are speeding (this will never be used).

Turn the key one more time and in two seconds which is more like a jet turbine firing up - you have full liftoff.

It is a deep, scary, rumble - which is very different than my F-car which is more of F1 type scream - no better or worse - just different... Also different than those friends of my Diablos as well.

The Gear shifter is a little higher than that of the F-car - kind of nice and comfortable - almost relaxing with your arm just laying there throwing the gears in and out. Some mags have ragged that the throws are long - they are not as long as the 355 for sure - but similar gated feel.

The power and tourque are amazing - but very under control. The four wheel drive with the ESP on is very sure footed. I am glad I opted for the manual rather than e-gear - I think that it will offer a bit more sensory feedback and control than the egears that I drove. (not saying the e-gear is not unbeliveable - just not for me).

Going through the gears - That 1st Gear is very very very tall. 60 is reached without hitting red line. 2nd Gear you are in Jail. I am still wondering when 6th gear is used - I think it powers the Jet drive.

The sound is a low grumble at normal RMPs - you hit it and it littlerally barks bloody murder. It is also a very different - with the 355 spider - even with the top up - you get a lot of sound feedback (or I do with the exhaust I have on it). With this car you can here it - but the cabin is well insulated - so unless you are getting on it - cell phone conversation is possible. However on the outside - as a few of my buddies went with me today to pick her up - said they could hear me a mile away - and as I went by them they said it was really wicked sounding.

It is breath taking fast - it is way to smooth and stable - meaning you are at 100+ mph - and you don't even know it... Ahhh that is why they have those darn speed alert indicators (ok maybe I will use them afterall :)

Overall in my first day of ownership I am very impressed with the fit and finish, the look I think is outstanding, the performance for dollar is nearly unbeatable

This is not a plug - just an observation:

I grew up in the Marion/Marysville/Bellefountaine area (where Nelson Autogroup is located) - never have done business with them - but several of my family (as I came to find out 2 weeks ago) knows most of the people there - that is how I came to give them a call. They were down to earth, quick with answering all questions, info, etc. And honestly - I got a price on this car - that no one could beat. We got the deal done - and I am not kidding - in 10 minutes. I am the kind of person that does not mess around on negotiations - I have what I can or want to spend - they were the exact same way. I can give you the name of who you should deal with - pm me if you would like the name and number).

Oh yea - how about some pics... This part of my garage is dirty - it is winter and it was just a few minutes ago (so night time) - the pics are average, the new G is drity from driving it home today. Ok enough disclaimers - Her she is:

Rich - now sure I am full of Bull - Wallace :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  3. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Beautiful, it makes a nice compliment to your 355 spider!

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Richard, what a great post. Touche to you. You can now post (un)objectively about both - ;)

Great acqusition, and glad to hear that the deal went smooth.

I must admit, those two Italian cousins look two-T HOT-T sitting side by side!

Do write a little bit about what made you go for the Gallardo, so soon after acquiring the 355. Inquiring minds want to know. - :)

5. Streetking

Streetking Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2005
    Austin, TX.
    Full Name:
    SW
    Nice car! Congrats on the purchase..

SW

6. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace

Thanks everyone...

Well to answer your question I have to go back a little - I had the 67 GTC for a few years - restored her and sold it (should have kept it prices are much higher now than a few years ago). Went on to a 61 GTE - lovely car took her to several shows - 1.5 years later she is now proudly owned by fellow f-chatter in London DJaffery! Picked up the 355 Spider about 2 years ago - did the complete engine out, mods, and what a wonderful car - I really like the vintage F-cars - but didn't drive them much just to shows mostly - parts were hard to find to keep them original, etc. The 355 was my first entry to the modern Italian cars. It is beautiful, sleak, fast and the open top what a joy to drive! And my wife and I would take it to dinners or out for long drives, etc. It is dependable and econmical from where I came from in the vintage areana.

However - I like most that get into the modern Italian sickness - decided to sell my Spider (A Fellow F-chatter will be picking her up on Saturday- to remain nameless for now - I want him to have the joy of posting his pics of his modern F-car).

So a few months ago - when I decided to move to the next toy - I evaluated several cars, did more research than I had time for at the weee hours of the morn, etc. Here is what I was looking at:

2001/2 - Ferrari 360 Spider
    1998 - 01 Diablo
    1998/99 VT Roadster
    Ford GT40
    2004 Gallardo

So after looking for a few months - doing the compares, etc. I really came down to 3 cars - 360 Spider, VT Roadster, and the Gallardo. The first 2 for the open top (the VT is also just a beast all around) the Gallardo for the looks, performance, etc.

So when it came down to it - and all were pretty close in price. But the Gallardo was "new", had a full warranty, had fit and finish ala Audi (which I think is a very good thing - unlike a few purists).

The downsides - the depriciation was and may be huge (Mine was stickered originally at 187K) The upside after this past year of depriciation for all these G cars - I got mine for such a deal - that I think I have bought another year of depriciation cushion. I will keep this one probably 2 years - I hope 3 years - but It never works that way :)

But honestly - value for dollar - which for me means: Performance, Looks, technical advancements, design, fit and finish and warranty (did I mention no engine out required). I do not know a better value for dollar on the exotic market than the Gallardo. I had a whole chart and car tracking spreadsheet - really pathetic - but I could tell you who had what car, price, history, and of course I had my pluses and minuses mapped out... You would think I was running a clinic for buying a car or something :)

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Looks like a well-researched, well-thought out buy. I'm sure you made out well - the savings on price will undoubtedly offset any incremental depreciation. Sorry to see the F-Car go, but as they say: c'est la vie. Ask me how I know. - ;)

Enjoy the Bull in good health. And come back to the Prancing Horse soon.

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The paint/interior color combo is very class, IMO - excellent purchase!

9. JEBES

JEBES Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Växjö, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jonas
    Really nice car. :)

10. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Damn! that's very very nice. I've been in a black Gallardo and that sh*t will SCOOT!

11. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Allthough I am not a huge fan of the shape of the Gallardo, this colour and interior combo looks amazing. It is pretty save to say you will have lots of fun with her.

12. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Ghost,

What are you going to move to once your Fcar is sold :) You gonna show those EC boys about a bull maybe :)

I also saw your post on the GT40 - I had another drive in one just a few days ago - with the control arms fixed. That darn Super Charger on that thing spinning up is tremendous. It is very hard to keep the tail end of the GT40 in place - there is so much power. One of the reasons I didn't go with the GT due to the "I will probably kill myself" - and that they are going 100K over sticker ;)

13. udalmia

udalmia Guest

congrats on your purchase, now you need to get a tubi on her :D

14. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Hey richard,

If i'm ever in the cincinatti area, could I get a ride???

Cheers,

Mike

BTW: I have also seen another silver Gallardo at a piano sale in Aurora. IMO, this is the best color for the car. Combined with that gorgeous interior, I believe you've got the best in the country!

15. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Mike,

Thanks for the compliments on the new bull...

You can stop by anytime you are in the area - We have a number of guys in the area (our little F-car, L-car) club - we do runs about every other month in the nice weather - you should come down for one!

Rich

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Super looking car, Richard. Congrats :)

17. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    Salute' congrats and welcome to the dark side :)
    ///MK

18. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
    nice colour combo on the interior! bautifull car
    congrats and enjoy!

:)

19. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    Congratulations on the new purchase!

20. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Beautiful car. Thank you for sharing.

21. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    Beutifull car!:) Enjoy it in good health!:D

22. SSpray

SSpray Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    CA, FL & TX, USA
    Full Name:
    R.M.R.
    Congratulations!

I have been looking at a silver one as well.
    But with e-gear.

Enjoy!

23. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    LOVE the interior!!!! :) Great car. Congrats!

24. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    You wouldn't happen to be able to tell me what the official Lambo interior color listing on the car is? Would you?

Anyone...

Bueller... Bueller...