Testarossa wheels detached from car at high speed!!!! | FerrariChat

Testarossa wheels detached from car at high speed!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by a7see, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. a7see

a7see Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Full Name:
    AL
    Hi there. I'd owned ferrari since 2003 and had been a member of ferrarichat.com for over 1.5 yrs. Not been actively involved in the forum but had been reading all the tricks of the trades about ferrari on the forum. What happened to me 2day changed my life. I had a 92 348TB for a year and had just traded it in for a 1987 Testarossa. The car got delivered on Sunday and I had been test driving the car for the last 2 days. What happened to me 2day just shattered my confidence in the car as I nearly got killed on the road. The passender front wheel came off the hub when I was travelling at 60 mph and when the car came to a stop, the front wheel arches was sitting on the rubber which had a big groove in the tyre. Smoke was eveywhere b4 I managed to come to a stop. I had the car for only 3 days and this happened to me. Is this a common problem???? Last thing I want is a big bill for the damage for the car.......please help and avice on this matter. Thanks a bunch.

p/s: Its the single wheel nut model.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dude! Glad you are OK, sounds like a torque spec problem to me...there WAS a recall on the Speedlines one year but I think it had to do with the rim bolts and causing flats, not the attachment to the car!

Again, just very glad you are OK.

This probably was a one time thing. Use a torque wrench ALWAYS on ALL Ferrari lug nuts!

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd calm down, and go have a LONG chat with the seller....did it damage the sheet metal as well????

4. a7see

a7see Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Full Name:
    AL
    The wheels are 18" one off from race engineering in the UK. When the wheel came off, it literally sat on the wheel arches and the arches were sort of melted down. The paint was cracked and there were scruff marks on the brake disc and the inner lip of the alloys was scruffed as well. Of course the tyres are totally wrecked. What pissed me off is I just had the car for 3 days and I had onlt done 40 mls in totol when the wheels came off...:( Do u think the garage should take full responsibilty of the damage cause or do u think they will try to lump me with the repair bills?????

cheers

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is exactly why they discontinued those. There is a procedure for installing them that if not followed will allow that to happen.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You may want to recap that for our friend here........

As an aside, these cars can do 150MPH so you were on the low end of that!

Big " silver lining" Tex

7. a7see

a7see Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Full Name:
    AL
    well, i was going slow to check out for coppers and if the coast is clear, i will u turn at round about and blast the beauty to full potential. Lucky the wheel fell off b4 that..........

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Get a torque wrench and check them all, I know Rifledriver may have better information..I think you prelube them, or maybe you pre LOCKTITE them.......

I can't think of anything worse than being passed by your own wheel!

9. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    The single wheel nut system used by Ferrari on the TR requires a torque spec of about 350 ft-lbs and also requires a special 8 sided hex nut. Most likely the place you bought the car from (or the previous owner thereof) couldn't or didn't torque the wheels correctly. The lug wrench supplied with the car is designed to mount/dismount the nut by pounding on it with a big lead hammer. Not very precise. Check your tool kit for an oversize spanner. This fits the wheelnut. Next bash the wheel nut on/off with the lead hammer. There should be an arrow on the wheelnut indicating the direction for tightening. (Be careful I may have this backwards as the arrow may be for loosening!!) Also the direction to tighten/loosen is different on left right.

I would try loosening each wheel nut, backing them off, cleaning the threads on both parts well, add some no slip copper grease and then tighten them via the hammer. You will want to bash the hell out of the spanner to get them tight. If you are out of breath and close to a heart attack after doing four then you haven't torqued them enough!

Or go to a dealer/good repair shop and get them done right.

Also be aware that the wheels can get frozen on the axles. This is because of the tight fit spline between wheel and axle. Best to remove wheels, clean splines completly, and then liberally coat everything with Copaslip/anti seize grease and then reassemble everything.

Big bummer--I would yell and scream at dealer--they should have checked the wheel torques before selling car. If car was bought from private individual then you are out of luck.

10. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Sorry to hear about that - the same thing happened to me on my 87 TR back in 1999. The wheel had been properly torqued - went on a long trip (1100 miles). Took the car out the following Saturday and the left rear wheel came off - threw the single nut and, as with yours, the car fell on the wheel after the wheel left the hub, crunching the left rear quarter panel. Mine was at low speed - maybe 15 mph as I saw the wheel starting to come off in the side rear view mirror and was braking hard before it actually left.

Total damage was approximately $28,000 and I had to fight/sue the insurance company for a year and a half to get it covered. It was ugly.

BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU TELL THE INSURANCE COMPANY. My lawsuit centered around the fact that they wanted to claim that the wheel came off due to a poorly manufactured part by Ferrari (essentially a vehicle defect), which was excluded from my policy - they wanted me to go after Ferrari for it. Good luck! While a number of the cars had this happen when they first came out, it is now pretty rare. Again, READ YOUR POLICY EXTREMELY CAREFULLY BEFORE REPORTING THE CLAIM!! SEE WHAT IS EXCLUDED AND MAKE SURE YOUR REPORT DOESNT GIVE THEM ANY LEEWAY TO AVOID YOUR CLAIM.

Also, DO NOT LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY INSPECT THE CAR UNLESS IT IS IN THE COMPANY OF A WELL-TRAINED FERRARI BODY SHOP OR DEALER!! I guarantee they will dramatically underbid the repairs if you do, and you will have to fight for the rest. On the police report for my accident, the cop estimated the damage at $3000. As I said, it was almost TEN times that. Make sure the adjuster sees your car with someone who can explain the reason that Ferrari parts and labor are dramatically higher. You don't just bolt on a new quarter panel with the TR (assuming you can find one at all) - it may take 100 hours of aluminum work to hand fit it. I cannot overstress this enough. If you don't have a good local shop, ship the car to an authorized body center FIRST and then tell the insurance company where they can find it.

For future reference, when you put the wheels on, the hubs should be DRY. You do NOT lubricate or lock-tite them. Lubricants, while common because the wheels tend to corrode onto the hubs because of dissimilar metals, should NOT be used. They affect the torque readings you get and prevent a tight fit. Same with lock-tite. Get yourself a real torque wrench and check them often. Whether it's necessary or not, take the wheels off the car once a year or so to avoid corrosion locking, then put them on and carefully re-torque them. Always check the torque again a little later after running the car.

Best of luck to you - sorry for the bad experience. Trust me, I know your pain.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Who ever was last responsible for installing the wheels is responsible and should step up to fix the car.

That was never a pattern problem on the old female thread knock off wheels. It only became a problem on the TR knockoff's when the fastener was in fact a bolt with male threads. It is due to the dynamics of the inertia on that overweight fastener. It was a design change that was required by you know who, our very own government who in their desire to see us all safe required a design change because a bunch of know nothing oak desk engineers decided that the classic knock off was dangerous and they had a better idea.

The next problem is that if the wheels are installed correctly they can when the car is driven aggressively actually tighten themselves. We have over the years had to take the wheels off in teams a few times because we wear people out loosening the wheels. When they are that tight the high torque 3/4 drive air guns just wreck the bolts. Ferrari did not abandon the design because it was so good.

To install, the male and female threads and splines have to be clean (I mean solvent and wire brush clean) and lightly lubricated with a high temp grease. Next install the wheel and the bolt and NOW TIGHTEN THE BOLT BEFORE PUTTING THE WHEEL ON THE GROUND. That seems so simple but is so often not done. The problem is that the splines on those are very long and if the wheel is not well tightened against the taper before the wheel is put on the ground it will simply cock and bind on the splines. In that condition you can torque it to 500 lbs and it will still be loose and fall off. Next lower the car to the ground, get a friend with strong leg muscles to stand on the brake pedal and torque it to 325 lbs. That brings into play another problem. Very few torque wrenches are designed to torque in both left an right directions as is required to tighten those wheels. You need a special (more expensive) one that works in both directions.

If you do everything in exactly the way described the wheels will stay on. Seems like lots of trouble just to bolt a wheel on a car, just pray you don't have a flat.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

While most of your advice is spot on, only the F40 and 50 were we to use no lubricant on the fasteners. Those were aluminum and it was found to be better not to. On the TR light lubrication is recomended. And while retorqueing is never a bad idea, if installed correctly they don't come loose. If incorrectly installed it does not always become evident right away, in fact I have removed many of them that were loose for who knows how long.

13. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    First of all, glad that you are okay.

Second, you did mention that you have 18" wheels on the car, which means they are aftermarket wheels correct? If yes, I would go after the seller or the dealer. But I think you will have a hard time proving that it was them who did not put the wheels on properly. Again, glad that you are okay.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    While I'm not at all farmilar with TR knock offs it's surprising that they dont have a safety pin or some sort of set screw. On my 66 corvette I have knock offs and in the center of the spinner there's a cap that comes off and there are 3 or 4 different places to insert a safety pin depending on the position of the kock off. You would think that a safety pin would be part of the design of any knock off but...

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The TR taught Ferrari a lesson, have a look at the F40 or 50.

16. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Just to clear up some misconceptions:

You need to lubricate the splines and the wheel nut for two reasons:

1.) Keep the thing from freezing up.

2.) More important-it will minimize the loss of torque due to friction on tightening. You can lose up to 50% of the torque applied to a nut/bolt system thru friction. Properly torqued up (which means applying a certain amount of tensile preload to the bolt) a bolt/nut cannot loosen up, as long as the preload is greater than than separating load. Which is why you do not want friction. The torque applied creates the preload, friction reduces the torque applied, thus reducing the preload.

I have a fair amount of experience with single lug wheel nut systems, given the amount of race cars I have personally designed and worked on. On everyrace team I have worked on we always use a spray molycote on the wheel nuts/axle threads for the above reasons. For the street I reccomend an antiseize because it is longer lifed and gives better long term corrosion protection.

17. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Al See - A great deal of good, albeit conflicting advice has been offered on in this thread. However, few have addressed the most immediate question that you posted. Having owned the car for a mere 3 days, liability should be in the hands of the seller. If the seller is a private party, good luck. HOWEVER, if you purchased from a dealer, then you have recourse. Even if you signed a waiver to the effect that you accept the car "as is", there is an implied warranty (contract) that when you purchase a car from an expert that the wheels will not fall off. A dealer is legally considered an expert. I am not an attorney, but have had to deal with similar issues in the past. I would use subterfuge to investigate when the last service was done on the wheels. For example, ask the dealer when the brakes were last bled, or when the wheels were balanced or rotated. The dealer should have done a "reasonable" inspection of the car before selling it, and that should have included inspection of the brakes, or change of fluids, or rotating the tires, etc.

I would have an attorney draft a letter simply stating the facts and the obvious, that they were negligent. Any action would be based on this theory, one of negligence that ultimately led to a potentially life-threatening event.

Good luck.

Jim S.

18. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Reading the threads I did not see (or missed) the use of C5a an Antsizing compund that we used for years on all splined wheels with knock offs. I am talking sprint car, midget, XKE any car that had a spline to hub held with a knock-off. Would this not work on the TR? Mine has 5 lugs and I still use the C5a on all my wheels on all our cars. I did see the loss of torque and according to the people who put on the dog and pony show there GAUGE allowed them to do a full torque on every bolt they treated BUT the untreated bond and gave a false reading.
    Glad you are OK but that would freak out anybody.

19. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    i have an 87 TR, with the single nut thing, is this common? (falling off wheels)

20. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Rifledriver, would you mind elaborating more on the difference between the TR wheels and the old knock offs. I'm not clear what you mean by male and female threads. Thanks.

21. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    when you fit new or refurbished wheels to a car you should do a short run 3 miles and tighten the nuts up again as they are always slack as the nuts penetrate the new paint on the wheels

22. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

Many years ago, I was talking to friends in the house. All of a sudden, a big loud noise bang outside in the street. So we ran out to see, guess what, the Ferrari Testarossa smashed into the curve. One of the wheel came loss and was still rolling on the street as we got there. The owner just got the car and started to enjoy it around the block. I guess its common. He change the wheel to five nuts wheel then...

23. a7see

a7see Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Full Name:
    AL
    Cheers for all the advice. Spoke to the dealer today and he sort of admitted that he might be at fault for not checking the wheel nuts after installing them for inspection. He said he should have driven for 10-20 miles and rechecked the wheels but he didn't. However, he said he need to look at the car prior to comng to conclusion. The car is on a truck back to his garage and will post the verdict on Friday. I did mentioned to him the lost of confidence in the car and to be honest, even though i prefer the sound of a flat 12, my previous 348 seems to be a safer car IMO, even though little bits and bobs on the 348 does irritate me a bit. I will seriously think about getting the TR back again and it sounds like an art to replace the wheels........with so many considerations, makes me wonder if the dealer knows all these.....

Cheers again for all the concern and advice.

Al

p/s: the garage will absorbed the repair bill for the damage. However, the car will not be original again....or will it?????? It has only done 23500 mls in the last 17.5 years....

24. a7see

a7see Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Full Name:
    AL
    Before I forget, is it possible to convert the single hub to the later spec 5 stud fitments.......at least makes me feel safer if I decide to take the car back.

Al

25. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I looked into replacing my spline wheels with the 5-bolt design after I had my accident. It is possible but prohibitively expensive. The consensus with everyone I spoke with is that it would be cheaper just to sell the car and buy an 88.5 or later with the 5-bolts.

From what I remember (and it's been 5 years now), it's not just a matter of changing the hubs - the suspension pickup points changed in 88.5 along with some other things, so there are a lot of peripheral parts that would also have to change.