Am I Out Of Price Range For This 308? | FerrariChat

Am I Out Of Price Range For This 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ExcelsiorZ, Feb 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    For the record, to all the Ferrari experts who literally attacked both my 308 and me, please note that the car sold in very short order and for $43.9k. Also note that I have several emails and phone numbers from individuals who also want the same car.

Frankly, given the updates and retorative work, the car was a good deal at that price.

Snicker, but you see, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So, when they snickered about the $59k 308 at Barrett or at my $44k 308, at the end of the day, they were all wrong and yes, I was right.

The bottom line is the bottom line. Perhaps these critics should run their "original" 308 on Ebay and see what the market says there "unmolested" 308 is worth. Bet ya money it will be worth less than the one they critiqued so severely.

Funny, they used to snicker about the Dino 246. It didn't even have a Ferrari badge and wasn't a real Ferrari because it has a cast iron Fiat block. Me? I'm guessing the Dino 246 GTS will hit $200k by the end of this decade. Do you really think the 308QV is, and will remain, a $30k car?

2. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Personally, I don't think a nice example 308 will remain to be a 30k car. I just don't see it.
    I remember seeing your car on ebay, and I thought the price was a little high, but if you get a buyer, then it doesn't matter. You get what you pay for. The buyer probably had looked at a few other 308's that were ragged out as I did, and finally saw one that was together, with no stories, and just wanted it. The buyer probably felt better about the deal by how the car was represented and that there probably weren't any underlying issues with the car.

3. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Congrats on finding a sucker (or a few suckers from the sound of it). Glad it worked out well for you.

You just did a nice sales job. And the guy went with it. I still think the car was WAY overpriced (for what I or most here would have paid). All that matters is that you found ONE person who did not feel that way.

I would be willing to bet that this guy has not seen a whole lot of examples of FCars. And when he starts to get online or comes to a site like this, he is going to have some serious buyers remorse when he finds out how badly he overpaid.

You could show us 100 names and emails of people who wanted the car. And I would show you 100 suckers (my opinion). Go to Scottsdale to the Barrett Jackson and you will find 1000s of SUCKERS.

I almost feel bad for the people who buy from Barrett and then are one tv during the show BJ Auto Search. They get talked and hyped into paying more and more for the car by the very group that bought it WAY cheaper a couple weeks earlier and are simply playing a game to see how much they can get someone to OVERPAY for it. Almost insulting. Talk about suckers.

And then to have it on national tv?? Yuck.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thank you professor! Great news...

And good luck on those Toyota air bags...really..........I mean it.........

*waving*

5. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    And we're supposed to take the "word" of a troll such as yourself???

$50+K for almost ANY 308 is too much money. And you're price is nothing special. Good 308QV's go for the high $30's. You obviously had something that was exactly what someone was looking for and was willing to pay a premium for. Lucky for you.

But don't come on this web site and tell a bunch of owners about how special you and your car are. We all think you're an arrogant prick and we'd just as soon you'd never came back. Don't forget that you've just lost yourself a bunch of customers by being an arrogant ****** to all of us. Good job.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry that 360 engine did not fit in it..............THAT would have been worth a MILLION.......one of a kind..........

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hey Sean, need a favor if you don't mind.......give me a call next week...;)

8. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Sean F, call me a "troll" if you like, but I did get $43.9k for my car and that was a good deal for the buyer IMO. Sorry no one's offered you so much for yours?

P.S., the 355 motor fit perfectly in my standard 308 QV and the 360 motor fit as well! That's why the 360 motor is in my GTO bodied 308 while the 355 is in my 308. Next up may be dropping a 512 M motor in a little Ferrari. Of course, the 8 piston brembo calipers clamping my 355mm brake discs do wonders to stop these cars! And with my sway bars and coilovers they out handle my very nice running 512TR.

So Sean, what are you up to?

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Congratulations P. T. you found one of the suckers, now back under the bridge with the rest of the trolls

10. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Everyone pretty much covered all the points I was going to make, well said gentlemen.

Now, "ExcelsiorZ", if you're going to hang around Fchat:
    1. update your profile
    2. take that HUGE chip off your shoulder
    3. get over it and move on for cryin' out loud

11. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Just over 5'-11", but what the hell that's got do do with you being a Grade A ******* I don't know.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

13. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt

14. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Oh sorry, my main point it had 92k on the odometer.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'll never sell my car so the actual resale value has no practical importance. Just wondering what kind of asset I have.

16. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I have seen and ridden in your 308 and I know how meticulous you are with the maintenance. The car is worth much more. I'd say high 20's, especially with the new interior.

17. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    ExcelsiorZ, you seem like an ass, snicker. . .

However, I have to say I bookmarked your car, thought it was too $$$, but I liked your mods (GTO/euro look, better leather, etc). I wondered if the car would hold up in person, though, or end up being a real piece of S**, kinda like that 'vert TR you flamed out the other day.

Given the personality you've shown around here, it's hard to tell, I'm guessing it's about 50/50 that this car had a blown seal somewhere that was patched with bubblegum. . .

18. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Dr. Tom,
    I think the value of a good example 308 will be higher than 30k. I think the low 20k days are about over. Unless the car is really bad.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not bad at all. The entire inside is new including headliner and carpets. The problem is rebuild costs. How much more after 100,000 miles will it go before something needs attention? Who knows but if that possible expense is included in the sale price what do I end up with? Maybe $25,000, expecting $15,000 rebuild for a $35,000 car? if so that's not bad. I paid 34.5 in 97.

20. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I personally think that the 308s will markedly increase in the next decade, they truly are a classic icon of the of late 70s early 80s that have stood the test of time. It is perhaps the most recognizable Ferrari on the planet. It is a solid car, styled very well, has decent parts availability, and relatively easy to work on. Not to bash the TR, 348 or 355 (awesome car) the 308 is the marque' leader of this group in terms of just classic enduring styling. Lastly, regarding Barrett Jackson, it is a hyped event, but everyone in attendance are not idiots or suckers, just car enthusiasts and many very well educated in there particular interest. To say that it is a bogus indicator of the market is just silly. What you get is what its worth in any market.

21. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don't know about that!!

I can agree about the 308 going up in price. I can agree with it being the most recognizable FCar. Goo call on those points.

But about the Barrett Jackson??

I agree that not all there are suckers, Not at all. You are right that there ARE a bunch of car lovin' enthusiasts there. I would LOVE to have been there this year!!!

However, there are a LOT of suckers there that are overpaying for those cars. If you watch the BJ Auto Search (not that this is a 100% correct example of every car) you will see people buy a car from a private dealer, and then resell it without doing a THING at the Barrett for THOUSANDS more. And they make money like this on almost EVERY car they do that with. Some of the people bidding have been doing a little drinking and that doesn't help either. There are a LOT of people that overpay just so they have a shot at being on TV and want to be the "bigshot". Then there are others who do it because they want to buy a car at the Barrett Jackson. Things always sell more at auctions. It is the nature of auctions. And when you are at a testosterone filles atmosphere like that, it usually happens.

Hey Doctor Tommy,
    I will pay you 20K for that old, tired example of an FCar. You are right, the thing will probably need an overhaul. I will take it off your hands. Not to mention the "track time" the thing has logged. Actually, make it 19K and I will take it off your hands for ya!! ;-)

22. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    #22 trashidelek!, Feb 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ExcelsiorZ, you are a piece of work...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I'm still waiting for him to "put up or shut up" and "post a pic" of these supposed 308/355 and 308/360 ferrari's he owns.

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a thread on his 308/355 abortion on here........

Still on blocks at............Blackhorse!!!....his partners in the engine deal!

It's a SMALL world after all. Here comes Mickey Mouse let's all join hands and dance!

"It's a small world, after all.......It's a small Ferrari world after all....."

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Can I buy your lunch, Sean? Did the shroud come off?

Thanks, brother!!!!!

What do ya think of a guy who auctions some used fuse blocks on ebay knowing a Ferrari bud across town can use them????

Does that sound like a payback for my time spent showing and fitting him to the 308GTB, helping him with tail light wiring, sharing key blank knowledge and availability.........??????

I mean I got billable hours here!

I feel hurt......used......exploited..........cheap..........

And my rad fans still don't spin, unless you use your hand..........:rolleyes:

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Trashedelek, that pic is worth a thousand words! Priceless!

And most likely actionable............let's get Frank Parker on retainer here, ASAP!