April Track Event | FerrariChat

April Track Event

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by chasking, Feb 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    As is described in great detail under the "Any track events?" thread, on April 23 and 24, the Chicago Alfa Romeo Owners' Club is hosting a track event at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet (north track). Among the participation options is "touring", which entails at least 45 minutes of spirited driving around the track (under controlled circumstances), for a charge of $50 per day. The touring sessions will be over lunch, between regular lapping sessions. There is a registration form on the CAROC web site,

www.caroc.com

Note that if you are just touring, the helmet and roll bar requirements do not apply, and you do not have to pay the extra "associate member fee"; it's $50 whether you are a CAROC member or not. However, in the case of Fchatters, I may attempt to mooch rides. ;)

A group of Fchatters is forming to come out for touring on Saturday, April 23. If you are coming, please post a note here. If I know who the Fchat participants are, I can make sure that you all get into the same touring group.

By the way, touring is a blast, and a great way to experience the track without the full expenditure of time and money of a lapping weekend.

So far, Andreas (tifosi12) is confirmed, and I know a number of other people expressed interest on the other thread. If you did, please post here again so I can find a list of everyone in one place.

I look forward to seeing you on the 23rd!

Chuck

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, I will bring my helmet. Most definitely...
    :)

3. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I sent an e-mail to [email protected] asking if there were still slots and if a group of "Ferrari guys" could be assured of running together.
    Sounds like a blast!

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Count me in. Touring at the minimum.

5. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Count me in for touring... possibly lapping depending on whether or not I've got a second set of wheels by then. Wouldn't want to drive home on the same tires I used on the track ;)

6. P.Webb

P.Webb Rookie

Feb 8, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Peter Webb
    Hi Guys.

Peter Webb here. Event organizer.

To save answering the questions many times via email, I just registered here to keep you all up to date on the event.

No problem getting you guys all together in one touring session. I'll leave it up to you on which day and session you want. Once you have concensus, let me know and I'll make sure you're all together.

I thought an all-Italian touring session would be in order. I'll put the Alfas and Fiats out with you so those other guys can see what nice cars look like :)

We generally don't tech for touring. We do ask you to empty loose items in the car if possible. I don't think I have to worry about this group for tech.

Historically, there hasn't been a pace car for touring. We ask and expect everyone to behave themselves. I will admit touring up at Road America gets a little hairy sometimes. I won't grant as much lattitude here because of the relatively short track. I trust everyone to be smart and safe during touring. You'll be shown the black promptly if not. My goal is to get everyone a good time and go home with their car still shiny and straight.

For those that will be lapping with us, here are the requirements:

M or SA 95 helmet or newer.
    Cotton clothing covering arms and legs
    Leather full-toed shoes
    Eye protection in open cars
    Arm restraints in open cars

Roll bar 2" above the helmet for open cars

No loose bearings, suspensions or steering
    No leaking fluids
    Working brake lights (if equiped).
    No cut or chorded tires

Recommended:

New brake pads
    New brake fluid
    4/32 of tread left on street tires
    5pt harnesses for high speed potential cars.
    Closed back driving gloves

Highly recommended:

R-compound tires. Kumho V700 and Toyo R/A1 are low-cost trackday tires.

You will be grouped based on car potential and driving experience. If you feel you are misgrouped, you can be moved throughout the day. There will be instructors on hand to help you learn the track or get aquainted with road course driving if this is your first time.

We understand that everyone has a first time and try to make it the best possible experience (insert joke here...) We encourage drivers new to the track in a low pressure environment with plenty of instruction and support.

Thanks for your support and I look forward to seeing many of you in April.

-Peter

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to FChat, Peter! Great to have you here.

Care to elaborate on what Fiats there will be? A Dino-Fiat by any chance?

8. P.Webb

P.Webb Rookie

Feb 8, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Peter Webb
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

No details yet on the Fiats. I haven't seen a Fiat Dino in a long time so it would be great to have one with us.

I got word of the Fiat contingent last week at our banquet.

A couple more FAQ points I left off the previous post:

Touring registration is open now so feel free to send in your entry any time.

Plan to arrive no later than 11:30. We need to get you checked in at registration for touring with waivers and such. The paddock is a great social atmosphere so arriving early will be time well spent with fellow enthusasts.

I wasn't as clear as I could have been on fees. $50 is for 1 touring session. $350 is for lapping both days inclusive. I didn't expect people to buy 2 days of touring only but that is an option.

We offer free touring to anyone who wants to come out and work the event. Corner working is a great way to see the track close up. We also have a need for grid workers, registration workers and tech inspectors. We do prefer some experience for tech inspectors.

If you want to ease your way into lapping and/or time-trialing, working a corner and touring your first event is a great way to gain some knowledge of the process and get your wheels on the track. Full speed lapping can be intimidating to the first timer. Autobahn is set up where you can see a lot of the track from each corner so you'll gain valuable insight from your post.

Please contact Sandy Ganun ([email protected]) if you're interested in working a corner, or myself if you'd like to work administration.

-Peter

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok Mike A., Mike B. and Mike Z (and Chuck): What day should we pick for touring? Saturday or Sunday?

I suggest Saturday the 23rd so we have the 24th as a fallback in case of April rainshowers. Also the 24th airs the F1 GP of Imola, which I believe will be on CBS tape delayed so it might end up smack in the middle of the day.

10. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Saturday is fine by me.

Looks like I'll be attending a Lotus school earlier in that week as well. April is looking to be a good month :)

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you for asking Andreas. Saturday is a great time for me. I have already sent in my paperwork & noted "Saturday" & "Chicago Area Ferrari guys" on the form.

BTW... A local good friend of mine has a black Fiat Dino roadster in WONDERFUL condition. He drives it to a lot of Fiat events within the USA. I bet he would love the short drive up for the day. I will ask if he would like to attend.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ohmygosh! Tell him I'm game to swap keys (while he can still be in the co seat). I once drove that Fiat (in my youth), but it had the regular engine. I so desperately want to drive the Dino version of it. Heck, tell him I pay his Touring fee. I mean it.

13. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Saturday it is!
    I'm really looking forward to this!

14. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Forgive me in advance for the potentially stupid question I'm about to ask...

Is the associate member fee required for non-members signing up for touring only?

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I believe Chuck answered that one already and my understanding is, that it is not required for Touring, only for lapping.

16. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ahh... thanks.

Maybe I should read the original post before asking already-answered questions next time :)

17. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I sent my Dino pal an email. He is in England on business, but I am sure he will have interest.

He is the kind of guy that will really enjoy your enthusiasm about the Dino. Its well deserved. His car won the last Fiat National Concours in 2004. Its lovely from front to back.

See ya there.

18. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I would love to do it too! So, who do we contact to verify we are definitely in??? Is it just the website entry?

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's still early in the game so I'd say if you send them your check you're in. Peter Webb and Chuck (chasking) on here are the people to talk to.

Are you planning on bringing the TR? That'd be awesome!

20. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I sent my registration and check in yesterday...

21. P.Webb

P.Webb Rookie

Feb 8, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Peter Webb
    Simple. Just go to http://www.caroc.com/events/autobahn_spring.html, fill out the entry form and send it to the address on the form (me) along with $50 and you're in. When I see you have a Ferrari, I'll make sure you're grouped with your community here.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you in April.

-Peter

22. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Peter told me the other day that he had gotten a good response from the Ferrari community for touring. It should be a blast.

By the way, if anyone was interested in the actual lapping, open registration (for non-CAROC members) opens tomorrow, March 1.

23. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    P.Webb -
    should we have received some sort of confirmation regarding the touring?
    I have not, sent in my check weeks ago.

24. P.Webb

P.Webb Rookie

Feb 8, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Peter Webb
    Yes, I have recieved lots of entries from this group. I will be emailing a confirmation and information packet closer to the event.

If you would like a specific confirmation that I have your entry, please email me directly at [email protected]

-Peter

25. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Okay,

He says he is going to try & make it to the event. He may have some family event he will need to attend as well (in Chicago), so it could be a short visit.

He has reserved a spot for the day.