My F40 caught fire today!! BADLY. | FerrariChat

My F40 caught fire today!! BADLY.

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by reflex, Feb 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. reflex

reflex Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Brighton U.K
    Unfortunately today my F40 got a bit hot. The drivers rear side caught fire whilst driving at the Bedoford Autodrome circuit. Fortunately I got out completely un-hurt. The car is a bit of a mess. The fire was stopped before it did any damage to the engine or the rest of the car. It will need a new rear plexiglass window, side panel, new tanks and a whole lot more.

The good news is that the replacement suspension bush set and shocks/springs have transformed the car. The brakes were also keeping cool with the new LM ducting from Michelloto.

Hope to get the car back on the track ASAP. And the cause of the fire... I'd love to know.

Time for a few large glasses of red wine! I'm sure pictures will follow, I was unable to take any at the time because I was with the medics.

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Reflex,

that's awful news about the F40 but on a positive note, at least you're unhurt. Good luck with the insurance and rebuild. Pls keep us posted on developments.
    Rgds
    Tony

3. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Very sorry to hear about your car :(, Atleast you are fine. Lucky it didnt do more damage.

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    terrible news - glad you are ok

5. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    My worst nightmare!

Well I am glad it was not a total loss, if it was Roland would buy it and make another "LM"!

On another note, can you tell me more about these brake ducts you bought and the bushings?

Thanks,

Chris

6. reflex

reflex Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Brighton U.K
    All bought from Michelloto.

The bushes are a complete replacement kit and they make a world of difference. Less understeer, higher stability. Amazing.

LM ducting. I've got standard brakes and decided to try some ducting before going for a new dual master. The ducting is for front and rear. The front ducts air to the top and bottom of the brake discs and and another for the caliper. The rear draws air from underneath the engine directly to the rear caliper. IT WORKS WELL!! Repeated stops from 160 mph for 20 mins.

I've got some more wine to drink so i'll resume this tomorrow!

Regards.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Reflex, the most important thing is that you're okay and we're all glad about that... i think we're all pretty glad to hear that, despite the unfortunate incident, your car did not sustain irrepairable damage...

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Glad your OK, That really is scary thing to hear. It would be shame if it was a total loss.

9. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Ok, have another glass!

but it you could get me some ideas on pricing, I would appreciate it, as you know we have done all of the brake upgrades on my F4o, including the dual masters, but the one thing I have not done is the ducting so I would be most interested in learning more about those. The bushings could be a welcome improvement as well...

Again, sorry for your troubles...

Chris

10. reflex

reflex Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Brighton U.K
    #10 reflex, Feb 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. elms

elms Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    DCS
    Sorry to see that. But thats what we pay insurance for, hope its back on the road very quickly for you.

But remember it could of been a LOT worse

12. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    WOW
    Sorry to see that.
    Glad to hear your alright.

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Glad you're ok! Good luck with figuring what went wrong and fixing it. Did you have a fire system? Did it work?

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    YEEEOOOOWWW!!!!! Man that was right behind your head! Do you have a fire system in the engine bay?

15. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Damn! That does not look pretty. I am happy that you are OK!

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Reflex, glad you are ok. fire sucks. all of our thoughts are with you as you get the car repaired.

17. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    Sorry to hear about the fire.
    Glad you are still in good spirits
    Hope she is fit and well soon.

18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Definately glad you are OK. I was in a fire in a 68 Ford Falcon I race down in Argentina. The dope who fueld it left the cap of the gas tank & fuel hit the rear brakes & igntied. Very scarey stuff even wearing full Nomex, My co driver lost his eyelashes LOL & I think I got a tan on the part of my face peeking through my helmet.

Have you discovered the cause of the fire ?

I have heard that Nick from Pink Floyd sells improved replacement rear lexan. I have heard you cant get those from the factory anymore.

Good Luck, Cheers

19. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Is that Halon coming out the back from an extinguiser?

If so, I hope whomever's got it right now has started cleaning it. Halon and just about any type of dry chemical extinguisher is VERY corrosive, especially to electrical components on your car.

If that was a built in system and you set it off you can probably count on replacing a lot of wiring.

20. reflex

reflex Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Brighton U.K
    Well since over a 1/3 of the car is burnt to a cinder I'm not realy worried about the state of the wiring because it probably melted!

There was an on board fire system which I activated, I didn't hand around to see if it went off. There is powder all over the inside of the car. But that will need re-trimming because of the smoke etc. Its a mess.

21. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Absolutely gutted for you mate!
    Hope you get it sorted without 2 much hassle

22. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
  23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Noooo ! Poor Baby ! Glad ur ok. I hope its nothing too serious and that she'll be running again very soon !

Enkeis look great BTW !

24. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    Oh man, Im so sorry to hear about this, and Iam glad that you made it out safely. I hope insurance takes care of you, in the fashion that they should.

Best of luck to you

25. N££d 4 Sp££d

Feb 5, 2005
    FL, R.P.B.
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Ouch hope you get it repaired soon, nice car tho >:)