My 308 and It's Mods | FerrariChat

My 308 and It's Mods

Discussion in '308/328' started by Muteki, Jan 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    #1 Muteki, Jan 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A couple people sent me personal messages and posts relative to the modifications that I have done/am doing to my car at the moment. This post stemmed for another post, but I didn't want to misdirect the other posters thread, so I am starting my own. Flame me if you wish for not keeping it original, but I had to weigh total loss or restoration with mods I could afford. I elected the latter, since no Ferrari belongs in a junk yard unless the frame is totalled. Anyways:

I said "I'm an introvert and I would modify my Ferrari (or already have) "

I say this, because since I had an engine compartment fire and I can no longer call my car can "all original". So, I decided to customize my 308 how I thought it should have been made. This is how I have customized it:

The interior is black with yellow tubing, with a single yellow stripe in the center of the seats with the wing portions being black. The head rests are black with yellow tubing and yellow embroidered Ferrari horse logos on them. All the inserts on the doors, window posts, and soon to be targa are also in black with yellow inserts. I had custom floor mats made to match, black with yellow embroidered horse with Ferrari under them. Black and yellow Momo steering wheel and shifter knob to match. They are not installed yet, so I will hold out on pictures. I will definately put a custom stereo in it later when the car is running again.

I have a Borla exhaust system with test pipes. The cat system has been totally removed, since there are no regulations in my area. Or should I say, the regulations are not enforced in my area.

My doors showed signs of rust, so I purchased a set of fiberglass ones from a 76 GTB, I sure hope they fit and lighten my car a bit. =] I had the orginal doors rust cut out of it and new metal welded into place. They have been primered and I will sell them later if the fiberglass ones fit without problems. I was told by several reliable sources they will fit with minor mods for 1/4 glass and winodw frame issues.

I have a DIS ignition system with crank trigger. The distributer system was a total loss in the fire and is history.

I am sourcing out air filter system to replace the old system. I am leaning toward the ram-flo system, but haven't commited yet.

I am planning on modifying to a Xenon HID headlight system, and after reading the post about the LED taillights, I might do those when they become availible. Any information on the HID modification would be nice.

I am also having my factory rims chrome dipped.

Wehn removing my rims for dipping, we decide to rebuild the brake system. Well, the calipers are rusted in place since the vehicle sat for so long. The factory service manuel says the pistons cannot be honed, so I have to replace. I am considereing with going with the Brembo break system. I was looking at the different lines. Has anyone else done this with the stock rims? Anyluck? Please let me know all you can on this mod. I am still collecting information and all comments welcome. I know the system is better than factory, but is it worth $2500?

Limo tint all around to include a full-faced front window.

The car will be yellow with black louvers when it is completed.

It will look stock at first glance, but to another Ferrari owner, it will be obvious modifications. Ok, now I will don my flame suit and post some pics.

Sorry the ones of the fire are not scanned in and I don't wanna look at them at the moment. These are the pics posted:

1. My car before the fire, actually the day of purchase back in 1997.
    2. After we cut out the rust.
    3. Interior shot after removing the damaged interior. Plus sneak peep at my dash.
    4. The current body front.
    5. Current body rear.
    6. Sneak peek at my black and yellow interior.
    7. What my car should look like upon completion minus the tint job.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    #2 Muteki, Jan 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. weimar97

weimar97 Karting

May 21, 2004
    who needs a flame suit? It's YOUR car - treat it how you see fit! Looks like a fun project and looks like it's well on its way to perfection!

Good luck and have fun! Not everyone has a Ferrari, and you will be able to truly say that noone has a Ferrari like yours!

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    All I can say is WOW! That is an amazing amount of work! It looks like things are coming along nicely though. Keep the pics coming, it'll be great to see when it's all done!

Are you going to paint the top body color too?

5. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    Thanks for the compliments. I think it will be nice when its done.

Yes, I plan on painting it. We are rebuilding the motor now and I don't want to scratch it reinstalling the motor, so we will send it to the paint shop when its done. The last picture is the color scheme I plan on going with, its just not my car. It was of a car that was on ebay recently and the picture is my motivation on finishing my car.

6. EndymionMKII

EndymionMKII Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    James
    WOW very nicley done. No flames here just praise.

7. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I"m not sure what color that ebay car is, but it may not be proper Ferrari Fly Yellow... that's a good thing! I saw a 308 that had been painted yellow from an '02 Corvette and it looked fantastic! It's a little bit darker, richer color than the Ferraris I've seen and is the only reason I was even looking at a GTB! Go with that shade!

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    HOT!

I forsee a day when 308's will be customized more, like 'hot rods' are now.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Hate to ask, but how much do you have into this project? Seats look nice where did you have them done?

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Ooh, I should 2nd the praise on the seats. This CORVETTE YELLOW GTB I looked at had cheesy Pep Boys seat covers with yellow centers, same color scheme as your seats but I thought it looked great in terms of color scheme!

Go with it!

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you track your car much, it is worth it, though not "necessary". However, you will NOT be able to put it under your stock 14" rims... you need 16" rims (like from a QV).

12. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hard to imagine the volume of word necessary for a project of this maganitude.

13. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    I agree, the Ferrari Fly Yellow just didn't catch my eye either. The original yellow from 1978 is too much of a pastel too. I think the Corvette or Lamorghini yellow are the two I am having a hard time choosing from, but its ok. I have some time before she goes to the paint booth.

Yes, I agre and would like to see that. Hopefully it would drive the cost of performance parts down a bit.

In all truthfullness, I would have parted it out if I knew how much it was going to cost me over the years. Once I paid the car off, I just been buying parts as they have been coming availible at a good price. I have been pretty lucky so far. I definately wouldn't want to do it again, at least all the fire damaged stuff. I wouldn't mind if it was just the customizing though. I am nearing the cost of a second car by the time it hits the road. Not sure why, but it seemed much easier on my pocketbook the second time around, I guess because of no pending loan. But, don't tell my wife what I spent on it, she already refers to the Ferrari as "the mistress".

Thanks for the compliments. As for the seats, the head rest embroidery was done by Chuck Sukola at Pacific Orient. The yellow leather was a special import, thanks Mom!!! I have no idea where she got it. I wonder if she could get more. The seats were crafted by my friend Tim at Thiem's Upholstery. All here in Guam, with the exception of Mom in Texas.

Thanks for the info. Hmmm, I guess I will have to scratch that idea. I don't track the car, but I was figuring if I had to replace, I would prefer to do it right. I just don't want to have to get another set of rims though. I guess its factory unless anyone else says Brembo has another model.

Well, if the car was given to me and I didn't have to pay the original purchase price, I would say that its been fun hunting down the best bargains and piecing the car together. I am no mechanic, but I know where every single part goes down to the last bolt. Its been educational and tiresome. If I have to sum it up in one word, the first word that comes to mind is "stressful".

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Stressful I'm sure, but when you get it all done and the tourists in Tumon are asking for your autograph again it will all be worth it!!

15. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    There's nothing wrong w/ what you've done to your car. You are probably the type of a person who doesn't really care what others say, and do it for your satisfaction. And probably most of people here are that way. Anyway, you're invincible (that's your HN, right?)
    Are you actually doing all these work yourself?
    Yellow seat looks awesome for yellow exterior paint, too.

16. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    That is what I am hoping. It will be worth my time. At least when the car is finally completed it will be exactly how I like it and without the stress of a loan that goes with it. I am sure there are some, but I will be amoung a fortunate few that will be able to say they own a Ferari and it is paid for.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

You are correct my friend, I do things for me and my family, not for the people surrounding me. I just figured I would lighten the car a bit and get some better performace out of it too. Thanks for the compliment on the seats and color scheme. I too think this will be a looker when I bring it to the car shows in the future.

Last and not least, I am shocked another Japanese speaker is amung us. You are correct about the meaning of my handle, "Invincible308". Japanese is my 2nd language, I am a white boy from Texas originally, but my wife is Japanese. Almost all of the tourist here in Guam are Japanese or Korean decent. Now, I guess you can see how I learned it. I was actually considering putting a vanity plate on my car later that says "MUTEKI". Not many people would get it, with the exception of the tourists. I figured I would try to get this car into a few more magazines in Japan. Its already been featured a few times in "Car Sensor' a popular magazine in the Tokyo area.

As for doing the work myself, hmm thats a tough question to answer. I seem to know more about the car than most mechanics here in my area. I don't really know how to build this car, but I definately have supervised the work on it. Not to mention, I had a mechanic walk out fo the project after disassybling my entire car. Its been hard to get someone to take over the project, but since I know where everything goes, i have been fortunate enough to get a mechanic that can finish the project.

17. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Hey Muteki,

How did they make the Cavallino on the headrest. I'm looking to put new ones on mine as they have been redone.

Brent

18. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    After I picked out the leather I wanted to use for the black, I took a 2'x2' square to an embroidery shop. The guy had one of those computerized embroiders. He scanned in the artwork and thats what came out. It looks good to me, but I still feel it could have been a bit better. If you can't find someone to do it for you where you live, I will have it done for you if you cover the costs. You will have to send me the leather you want to use, because texture and color are very hard to match. Just let me know.

After the embroidery was done, I took it to the guy that was in the process of doing my seats. He then made the headrests.

19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    It's all about the skill of the person who digitizes the logo. It's not as easy as scanning it in, and the computer knows what to do. A person still has to program the machine to make each stitch, and what they are doing is using the scanned logo as a template. You will pay a set-up fee for having the logo digitized. The higher the stitch count, and the higher the skill of the digitizer, the better the quality of embroidery.

20. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Thanks so much for the offer. Really appreciate it. I'll start looking for the material I want to use and will contact you later if I can't find someone locally to do it. Thanks again

Brent

21. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    FarmerDave is correct about the stich counts and stuff. I just didn't go into enough detail. Good catch Dave.

Brent, just PM me if you can't find anyone to do it. Good luck.