Help required for 328 strange noise | FerrariChat

Help required for 328 strange noise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by flyingboa, Jan 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    #1 flyingboa, Jan 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First day of the year, new problem with the car...
    Being the weather great, I decided to go for a spin. I last used the car yesterday for some "spirited" driving (hit rev limiter a couple of times...). When I parked in the garage at dinner time it was running like a dream.
    When I started this afternoon, a very loud noise came from bottom right, timing belts area. It was metallic, like a very strong clicking. It sounded like a tappetts noise. Idle was erratic. Immediately I turned the engine off. The noise was so loud that I was considering to call a flatbed, but decided to check by myself.
    I pushed the car in the sun, opened the bonnet and asked my wife to start the engine again. Same noise but less evident. Engine off again.
    Third time, noise was decreasing. At the fourth try, engine clicked a couple of times and begun to run smoothly again.
    After a short reflection, I decided to go anyway. Did almost 60 miles, used the engine smoothly at the beginning to end up with full throttle and everything seems to be OK.
    Now, I certainly did not dream the noise, it was there. I thought about a valve, but it now idles perfectly and has no problems at high revs.
    Does anyone has any idea?
    Thank you in advance for cooperation.
    Ciao
    Eugenio
    PS. here is a picture of the first kms of this new year
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sounds like the common "snapping" noise that comes from the polyflex accessory drive belts. Very common in cold, dry weather, for them to be noisy. Usually goes away after 4 or 5 minutes of idleing. Try spraying a little belt lube on them, and see if it goes away...if only temporarily. I tried this, and it went a away for a couple days...but came back. But at least I isolated the noise, and assurred myself that it was nothing serious. I just live with it.

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Hugh,
    Thank you for comment. If I understand you right, this noise is different from the squeak that is sometime coming from the alternator belt (continuous, varying of intensity with the RPM variation usually vith a peak around 2000 RPM) and that lasts for just few seconds.
    Could you please confirm that the noise from your car is like tic, tic, tic metallic?
    Sorry for the non-technical language, explaining myself in English is sometime painful.
    Ciao and thank you again
    Eugenio

4. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    BTW, this morning the car un fine.
    Regards
    Eugenio

5. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Eugenio,

Of course I haven't heard your car but I strongly recognize the sound that you describe. I had the same problem on my car. It was a strong metallic, clicking noise. The Ferrari dealer told me that is is produced by the polyflex belts just as Dave describes. The noise is a produced by static electricity of the belt. Normally when the car heats up a little the sound disappears.

Ton

6. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Ton, Hugh,
    Thank you very much.
    I am much more relaxed now.
    Ciao
    Eugenio