308 CV Joint PN#????? | FerrariChat

308 CV Joint PN#?????

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by samtheclip, Dec 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    I was wondering if anyone knew what the part # is for a 308 rear cv joint? I have one number but, I am not sure. Volkswagen p/n 211501331B. I heard that Lobro is used for VW and 308's during these years. Any help would greatly be appreciated. If it is made for a VW as well the part can't cost to much (I hope).

I took my CV joint apart today and found that where one bearing was there was a small spot that was pitted. Can I fix this anyone or should I just replace it? The rest of it looks great and the bearings are fine.

-Sam

2. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    Does anyone know what year VW used these same CV joints?

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #3 thecarreaper, Dec 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    SAM, i just had a local shop rebuild mine on one side for $70.00. the joints are common to several makes of cars and any business in the busniess of rebuilding them should have them in stock. if all else fails i can PM you or post the name of the shop here that did mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sam, The CV joint and boot used in the 308 are the same as a Porsche 911 Turbo (930) of the 1970's vintage. Your local import car parts store probably has them in stock.

LOBRO makes CV joints used in several european cars, VW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Porsche etc. The "930" CV joint is 108 mm X 40 mm which is larger than the 100 mm units that are used in VWs and it uses a larger dia. axle spline.

The "930" CV joint is widely available and with a bit of shopping you shouldn't spend more than $75 ea. They are used in many sports racing and formula cars used in SCCA racing and in off-road rail buggys. The 930 joint has a lot more range of motion than typical VW size joints so the off-road crowd converts their VWs to the "930" to get maximum suspension travel. Off-road suppliers such as EMPI have them but make sure you get a real "LOBRO" as there are some Far East immitations out there. You can also get the balls separately, std. and oversize, as well as "hardened" centers but, IMO, it's better to just replace the unit.

BTW, The Ferrari uses a separate boot and flange, newer style one-piece boot w/flange units will eliminate the "weak link" connection at the large end of the boot. A Google search such as "lobro cv joint 930" will keep you busy reading for quite a while.

5. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    THANKS! That was exactly the info I was looking for.

6. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    An old trick is to just flip the half shaft over and reverse the rotaiton. They are only worn on one side and reversing the rotation puts new parts where they are needed., We used to do this on Porsches all the time and I have done it on two Ferraris.

I had one clunking in a tight turn on my 328. I flipped it over and the clunk went away.