Red Light Camera's - Corruption in the courts? Say it ain't so!!! | FerrariChat

Red Light Camera's - Corruption in the courts? Say it ain't so!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by RacerX_GTO, Nov 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    If you think the idea of a $351 ticket is harsh, try fighting one. Even when the law’s on your side, you’re bound to lose.

Sacramento County citizens are getting a fleecing of their own while judges keep cranking out guilty virdicts.

http://www.newsreview.com/issues/sacto/2004-11-25/cover.asp

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wow... Great post... Very informative read... No surprise that the government is in it for the money, though...

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

So if you're wearing a ball cap and sunglasses how could they prove it was you? And, these intersections are very well marked with signs letting you know that there is a camera ahead. I find it hard to believe that I'd ever get ticketed for one of these. Finally, I wonder if these are just the beginning of them setting up cameras for speeders? They could really crank in the dough if that ever happened.

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    It's a good article and a sad commentary on our justice system. We depend on our Judges to follow the rule of law and when that fails we have little left. I have no problem with the principle of the cameras if an officer is present. One concern I have is that I've noticed yellow lights seem to be timed shorter. It is causing people to slam on their brakes in order not to run a red and I'd bet money it is a contributing factor in the rear end collisions.

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    is there a cliff's notes version? i'd been reading for 4 or 5 minutes (and i read pretty fast) and noticed i was barely a 1/4 way through. :)

my issues with red-light cameras are minimal. i did see a minor effect on traffic light courtesy, but for the most part people just stomped the throttle and belted through when they saw the amber.

the only sensible place i've ever seen speed cameras is AT traffic lights. when it was introduced here a year or two ago, i saw a MAJOR improvement in red-light courtesy. rather than everyone gunning it at the lights to be the last through, people would stop as intended, and allow those people waiting to turn at the lights to actually make a legal turn, and not get stuck in the middle of the intersection.

so i am definitely pro-red-light-speed-cameras. normal speed cameras... pleh! they have done absodiddlysquat.

having said that, here's my red-light infringement. 4 seconds after the amber was displayed i'm out of the intersection, a bit strict by my book, i probly should have sent them a poor quality photograph of $280 dollars :D :
    entering
    exiting

6. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    yep. my point in the post above. a total of 4 seconds from the time the amber light was displayed (see above photograph) to the time i was already OUT of the intersection, yet still this is illegal behaviour. i had just exited a side street and was accelerating and checking around for other road users, i probably saw the amber half a second to a second after it was displayed, factor in half a second's thought/reaction time, had i attempted to stop for the intersection, it would have been screeching tyres, possible flat-spots, and the likely scenario of my car intruding into the intersection.

i know i did the right thing by continuing through the intersection, but camera-based fines ARE NOT defendable here without great effort.

7. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    This sort of thing pisses me off. I hate big government.

8. AeroGT3RedWing

AeroGT3RedWing Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2004
    Central Coast, Calif
    Full Name:
    Tim P.
    This is absolutely amazing. Its such a blatant violation of our 6th amendment rights. The ACLU needs to sue these bastards.

9. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  10. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#10 maranelloman, Nov 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Y'know, whenever I need some marksmanship practice, I think I'll go where there are these cameras.

If ya know what I am saying here...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    *evil laugh* Ohhh yes, that would be fun! There's a nice $600,000 digital system they just installed too, multiple cameras and IR illuminators on every pole for ONE intersection.

How does one light the fire to get things in motion? This is wrong, money over justice??... people are slammed into a guilty plea every day at the Carol Miller Justice Center. Bull*censored*!!!!

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Great article, and yes, I read the whole thing. I suggest you should too as well, to understand why traffic tickets in general, along with courts, are just revenue machines. Of course, there are speeding tickets that are absurd and should be questioned by officers, but generally, not so.

There were several cases in NY some time ago, regarding the red light cameras. Apparently they found by reducing the yellow light to 3.5 seconds and then 3 seconds, their revenue went up drastically.

Anyone see the movie Brazil? Just a suggestion.

13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    This should be no surprise to anyone with a view of history of these events. Traffic courts haven't been about justice for quite some time.

Over thirty years ago, Folsom NJ was finally forced to rebate hundreds of speeding tickets, after someone finally got the State to take judicial note that their 25 MPH speed limit sign on the otherwise 50 mph (back then) "white horse pike" was hidden behind a bush. The Carolinas have been infamous for "revenue enhancement" speed traps for half a century.

But the technology vs due process debate goes back to doppler shift radars. When you note that these radars are "calibrated" by having them tell you that a stationary tuning fork is doing 25 MPH, you wonder what happens when you drive a stiffly sprung car over a poorly paved road. Or in front of a street sign vibrating in the wind. I've been pulled over on a radar report four times -- and not once did the radar jibe with the speedometer. But a cop can just say what the radar displayed, and what you say the speedo displayed doesn't count.

It's the presumption of guilt that separates traffic court from a system of justice.

But if you want to go way back, cases of citizens arrested for warning motorists of speed traps dates back to the early 1900s. Isn't the point to get motorists to slow down? Or is the fine the essence of the matter? Since these kinds of cases are still in the news, I think the answer is self evident.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/handcuff.asp

14. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Some case last year maybe in the South where a guy was ticketed for flashing his headlights to warn others of the "POlice" Cop was behind him and saw the flashing tailights and pulled him over for ticket...Guy argued in court and it dragged out with the argument of free speech..It was mentioned that the police was there to slow down traffic, and by flashing his lights he was also slowing down traffic, so the same end result...Why the ticket?

He Won.

15. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

LOL, that's EXACTLY what i was thinking, or a paintball gun. If they ever do that here that's what I'm doing...I'm dumb enough to try :). Or just go out at like 3AM with some spray paint hahahahahhaha ba$tard$

16. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Good info. except for the obvious play on statistics.

Red light running/accidents goes down 60%, but rear end collisions go up 140%...well what the hell does that mean.

If red light accidents went from 100 to 40 and rear end collisions went from 10 to 24, which is worse? Getting side swiped at 60 (as the red light runner guns it to make it through) or getting rear ended at 30???