Did Maserati actually do it right?? (future, new models) | FerrariChat

Did Maserati actually do it right?? (future, new models)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Sunshine1, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    #1 Sunshine1, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All these new models coming soon, all the questions and opinions we gave since last year in various threads, and now that we know a lot more about these models, did Maserati actually do it right??

. New "real life" pictures of the new QP in various colors (see attached pictures) show a stunning vehicle from the front and the side. Definitely a QP. The only bad design is the rear but I guess it will become ok once we are accustomed to it. The new engine is the right one for a QP, 523hp V8, at last! Performances are said to be higher than the current models (I hope a lot higher). The first reviews I read were good. So, +1

. The Levante should be a high-end SUV with a phenomenal package, especially with the new and very powerful V8. The design we saw so far was elegant and sexy from the front and the side. It's supposed to be luxurious. Yes it's built on a Jeep platform. And so what? Everybody knows it is one of the best platforms ever for SUVs, and it's only the base platform, not the design, not the engine, not the interior. Every car shares components with others. The marketplace wants these vehicles too. So, +1

. The Ghibli may surprise us all with good looks, a great V6 (V8 as an option) and it is about the same size as current QPs. We need to see the final results, but may be +1

. Gran Turismo, definitely +1

** Yes they talk about 50,000 units per year. BUT let's not forget that the world is growing with many new clients from China, India, Russia, Brazil and many other countries, and many more wealthy people everywhere around the world. It's not just the United States and Europe anymore. 50,000 units = still a small manufacturer. +1

** At last, Maserati was never a mass luxury producer nor a super exotic brand like Ferrari, Aston Martin and a few others (all these brands on the way to sell over 10,000 units each per year in several years). SO,...nothing changes! +1

So far I am pretty satisfied with what Fiat/Maserati have been doing. Did Maserati actually do it right??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I have not heard about a new Ghibli. Photos, anyone?

3. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I agree with your positive take on Maserati trying to sell more units, on the Maserati forum, they seem to be quite down on these new models. I love it and hope the smaller QP or dare I say the SUV will be in my near future as a daily driver.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Before the new QPVI is not really tested and shows its (build-) qualities, I would say +2!

The Levante? -5 as it comes too late and has to compete against many other (luxury-) manufacturers. And : does Maserati really need a SUV? No, (IMO) so -5

The new "Ghibli": Maserati does not need it and this sort of car would have been better to become a Lancia (but Signore Macchione in his endless wisedom decided to kill this great manufacturer!). So -5

And why Maserati has no entry model, the sort of car CEO Wester was talking about?? So --6!

5. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    That's what I like about you, Walter. You always look at the bright side! ;)

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At least he didn't include his evaluation rating for Citroen or Biturbo cars in that equation ... ;)

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes - because I am living on tthe bright side of life!!..:)

8. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Marriage has been good for you, Walter.

The thread is still open.

9. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    well, how about a little history lesson?

Remember De Tomaso? He wanted to create an affordable usable super car for the masses, called the biturbo (which evolved into the Ghibli II)?

Isn't history repeating itself? Now Maserati is building twin-turbo cars for the E-segment and re-using the Ghibli name?

For whom the bell tolls...

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #10 italiancars, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    Yes, how about a little History lesson. Why was the Biturbo created?

The first thing to remember is the time frame. Mid 1970s, world wide oil crisis, social upheaval, Red Brigade terrorists kidnappings throughout Italy (Remember Aldo Moro?), the Communist Party (Based in the Modena/Bologna area) was at the height of its power in Italy. The bottom had fallen out of the Exotic car market. Lamborghini was bankrupt, Iso Rivolta had shut its doors as had all the other very small manufacturers, the only thing that was keeping Ferrari alive was money from FIAT. Citroen had placed Maserati into receivership.

DeTomaso strikes a deal with GEPI (Italian Government) to purchase Maserati for what amounted to a few Lira with the provision that Maserati would produce higher volume vehicles and increase employment. While a few manufacturers were already producing turbo charged cars (Porsche), the Formula 1 cars of that era featured twin turbos. DeTomaso experimented with versions of both on the Merak.

Thus was born the Biturbo by Government mandate. Unfortunately Maserati had neither the funding, nor the access to technology at the time to keep pace with ever more stringent emissions and safety regulations. (They also lost the legendary engineer Alfieri, who in a typical Italian drama went on to refine the engine designs at Lamborghini after being DeTomaso).

The DeTomaso era of Maserati must be viewed in context. I spoke with DeTomaso a number of times, as well as many people that worked closely with him. Nothing sums it up better than what Piero Rivolta once told me, "DeTomaso was a Son of B!+@^, but I liked him!"

11. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Very well said.

May I add that when Maserati was testing turbo technologies, they created an engine with a single large turbo and anotherone with two smaller turbos.

I think it has already been mentioned before, but just in case:

The first was the "monoturbo", but the turbo-delay was really bad and thus the project was canned in favor of the two smaller turbos, named "biturbo", which later on was the name of the new model which we know as the Biturbo.

The Merak Turbo test car can be seen in the Panini museum. I think some people have posted photos of the car in the Merak thread.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    To me, the new QP is a step back styling-wise. The original is so much better looking. I'm sure the new car is much better technically but for looks..... eh.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1.

I find it garish and not subtly classical.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So what you're trying to say in a very detailed and long winded way is that Maserati and De Tomaso were just the victims of a commie plot!

At least the Biturbo era cars and QPIII were a lot more interesting and fun than a Chevy Volt ...

15. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    You calling the Biturbo a "super car" speaks volumes.