The 575 SuperAmerica Has Arrived! | FerrariChat

The 575 SuperAmerica Has Arrived!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Nov 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Since I had the invitation, I thought I would stroll by the Ferrari / Maserati dealership this afternoon for a bit. Impressions are quite favorable. The showroom itself is fairly minimalist, with a central desk for welcoming entrants, a partially closed off conference room in the back, and the secluded area to the right. The cars on main display included:

- A 575M Maranello
    - A 612 Scaglietti
    - A Quattroporte
    - A GranSport

But by far, the highlight of the trip was when I was taken to the secluded area at the back and was shown the 575 SuperAmerica. It's Ferrari's newest car, and will be officially launched at the Detroit Autoshow in January 2005. The car was a Rosso Scuderia / Tan. The closest way to describe it is to draw an anology to the 550 Barchetta - an open ragtop. However, this is a imperfect comparison, b/c of the following material differences:

- Engine output has been increased to match that of the 612
    - Body shape in the rear has been substantially redesigned, with sharper lines
    - Unlike the Barchetta, the 575 SA has an electronically controlled top that pivots along a central axis and flips over to stow in the back
    - The frame of the cover is carbon fiber, and automatically adjusts the opaqueness to let a desired level of light filter in

The final production numbers have not yet been decided, nor whether this is coming in both F-1 and manual, or only the former. But it is one sexy looking car!! The car on display is a prototype, as final production cars are still being readied. It was first shown in the US at Pebble Beach. This is the second showing of the car in the US, and will be displayed here for a few days before it gets shipped back to Italy.

The showroom will be open to the public on Friday. Get there as soon as you can.

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Good report. Do you know if this is a "real" ragtop with full weather protection? ( The 550 Barchetta has a very minimal "emergency" top).

3. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

any mention of the 575 GTC?

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Good question - didn't discuss. The top itself is of hard material, and will undoubtedly offer protection against the elements. The question is whether it will be suitable for high-speed driving. After the compaints of the Barchetta top, my sense is yes.

5. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    cONvErtiBles R 4 sUKkAs... opps, forgot i was not on the other site.

gregg 575GTC is HOT HOT

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    None.

7. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    That is excellent Vik -- thanks for the report. Any info on pricing for the SA? I imagine it's gonna be up there...

8. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    yes, the roof is suitable for high speed driving. and since it pivots on the same axle as the trunk, you can open the trunk when the top is reclined. the whole untis opens as one. it sits flush on top of the trunk lid. very very cool.

i was told production will be 400, with a little over half headed to the u.s. sticker price of $300k.

the little style accents where fantastic. the horse on the rear end sits on top of a convex shield shape. almost like a monochrome shield that you order for the fenders. very nice touch.

there were a few athletes celebs in there with me (at about 2:30 today) but i didn't recognize them.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dammint, where are the pictures!!!!!!

I was talking to the head of FNA PR over the weekend, and even he was amazed that no pics had gotten out.

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!

10. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Believe me, so did I. I even took my camera with me, but I just didn't feel it was appropriate to start clicking away. Now if I had a camera phone with me...

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks for the update on production figures Bill. My rep confirmed that a substantial portion of the cars will be coming to NA.

And I absolutely agree, the style accents are to die for - the Ferrari horse on top of a convex shield was the tour de force.

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Yet another benefit of being EC subscribed... :)

13. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    My wife really liked the 575 SA. That roof is a very cool idea, it rests upside down on top of the trunk and creates a windbraker right behind the headrests. But at 320K incl. ceramic brakes/fiorano package too much for me.

Great car for Bill Hart. It will solve all the problems he had with the Barchetta.

14. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    This was exactly what i was thinking! Then he can loan it to Road and Track for a full test :)

15. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Who is Bill Hart? is he an EC playa?

16. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    WHart on this site- he's been around Fchat for a long time but doesn't post much (if at all) in the NY section- GREAT guy though, very cool..

17. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    No doubt!

18. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
  19. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    it looks like a fvuckin vette

20. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    top up ok.
    top down looks like the cover is missing. a big black void over the trunk.
    think barchetta looks better and even thats fugly to me.

21. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    I like it. I'm not buying one, but I like it.