A Murchie lemon | FerrariChat

A Murchie lemon

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Spasso, Nov 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    As much as I like these cars the following story scares the hell out of me. Feel sorry for the guy. Must have been one of those "Monday" cars...............

It could happen to any brand of car, not just this one;

My 18 month whirlwind ride with my Lamborghini Murcielago is over. I have sold it (taking a severe financial beating) to Lamborghini of Dallas. It has been listed on EBay and apparently is now in San Diego. See the add

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1#mainImage

I purchased the 2002 Murcielago during April of 2003 from Bentley Downers Grove outside of Chicago after a 6 month long exhaustive search. They trade many exotics and always seem to have a Lamborghini or two in their inventory. This was before the Lamborghini of Dallas dealership was open. With only 2,600 miles on the smooth black dash, I was overwhelmed by the appearance, stature and presents of the car. The first test drive was an out of body experience – I was driving but it felt like I was watching someone else through the small rear window from the engine compartment behind. Driving and ultimately owning a Lamborghini! - every man and boy’s dream.

My Lamborghini spent a total of 7 months out of the 18 months in the repair shop at Lamborghini of Dallas. A broken hydraulic hose resulted in its first carted trip to Dallas where it stayed for nearly two months waiting for parts ordered one at a time until the 4th part - the dash board switch, was finally determined to be the failed mechanism. Other items needing warranty repair included the faulty 5 cent catch on the overhead sunglass compartment, and a drooping driver’s side visor. They didn’t fix the visor.

Within a short period of time, I experienced more “error” lights on the suspension module and the lift system would not work 100% of the time, the A/C unit would kick off at random, and squealed when the compressor cycled on and off. Also, a very noticeable hesitation occurred at 4,700 RPM’s regardless of speed or gear. I returned the car to Dallas for repair. After approximately one month of being on blocks at the Dallas dealership, I learned that the repair shop had still not found the reason for the hesitation and had no idea of when my car would be repaired and returned to me. I notified Lamborghini USA and Italy of my ongoing problems and dissatisfaction with this vehicle, my attorney was copied.

To the credit of Lamborghini USA, and their attorneys, they did respond and John Amette was assigned to find and fix the problems. I met with John at the Dallas dealership. He was very professional and interested. He committed to spend the next 2-3 days finding the solutions to my Murcielago’s woes. Additionally, they extended my warranty for another 10 months.

They replaced the spark plug housings –– bad “O” rings had caused the block to take on water – the housings were completely rusted. That didn’t fix the hesitation. They replaced the computer and the computer relay. Finally, after another 2 weeks of unsuccessful replacement and repair, they elected to replace the throttle bodies – this fixed the hesitation. A new shock was installed and the lift system and error lights were assumed repaired. John got my visor fixed.

Within a few months, the A/C problem described earlier still existed and once again, the lift system chose to work sometimes, error lights appeared again on the suspension module. I needed to have the Texas State emissions test performed on it, but the computer wouldn’t allow a reading. I called Dallas and after a month, learned that the new computer they installed had a glitch that made emissions testing impossible. I would need to bring it back to the dealer for a new computer.

After the vehicle was at the Dallas dealership for a month, I also learned that the clutch was worn and would need replacement – after only 8,400 miles and very civilized driving. The A/C problem was "my imagination". I was also reminded by the dealer more than once that I had not purchased the vehicle from L of Dallas. ????? I'm not sure now if my overall experience would have been better or worse.

I had had enough. I asked them to make an offer to purchase the vehicle. I decided I couldn’t sell the car myself in good conscience to anyone else. So now it is for sale in San Diego. I’m not sure if the clutch has been replaced so beware. At $189.000, it is being offered at a large profit over what I unloaded it for.

This whole story reminds me of the saying – “The two happiest days of my life were brought with this vehicle - the day I bought it and the day I got rid of it.” Ownership of this Murcielago has been the most dissatisfying purchase and decision of my adult life. It was a fabulous car to look at, great fun to drive when working, but a $280,000 inexcusable mechanical failure.

To all of you Lamborghini fans and enthusiasts – good luck with your dreams and purchases. Demand that the new Lamborghini make a better product. Murcielago and Gallardo clutch problems, e-gear problems, Koni shock problems and suspension error lights seem to plague many of us – but not me anymore - I'll never own another.

2. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's why my 355 sits in the garage and I terrorize the streets in my Viper. Say what you want, but with 500+ hp and the ability to pull up behind a Neon in line for service aint all bad. The new C6 Z06 is starting to look awfully good also. Perhaps if they could train a tech or 2 at the Audi dealerships it would help.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Z06 is a good bang for buck!

4. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    "It could happen to any brand of car, not just this one;"

It's also the only documented case on one, whereas you can search forums for hours looking at all the lemon Fords, Hondas, Land Rovers, even Lexus models.

Lemons happen, part of making any product. :)

-Ben

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I would think that the lemon factor would be minimized on a car hand built like this one though....................

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    How? I would think that building cars by hand would tend to magnify the lemon factor quite a bit.

7. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    Korr is 100% correct. Magnifies it in multiples. Machine built cars are all identical and thus if you have a problem with one you have a problem with all. Every Lamborghini runs differently due to their being hand built.

-Ben

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thinking that more attention to detail might be spent during construction when hand built.

So I guess when everybody shows up Monday morning with a hang-over you get a piece of crap for a car.

Maybe with this example people will be less critical of the "mass produced" exotic like a 360.

9. newfer

newfer Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    I have heard of a few 360 lemons also.

10. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Well ... lemon is a big word, here IMHO.
    Ok, so the throttle body was faulty, and it has a couple electronic glitches (lifting front and computer). Most new Benz have more serious than that!!! LOL.
    Oh yeah, as for the clutch being worn, well ... he's a noob to semi-supercars, I wouldn't be surprised if he messed up a couple times, and that's all it takes to burn a clutch!

I dunno, if he wanted a perfect car, he should have gotten an Audi (can't say Benz anymore).
    People tend to forget that these cars are rare and hand built, sort of automobile craftsmanship (even though it diminished with Audi) ... they're not your average Civic with 20 years/500k miles warranty.

Not saying his car wasn't faulty, nor saying it was his fault ... but I don't expect supercars to be as convenient as a Honda.

BTW, I noticed they were mainly computer problems ... another reason to get an early Diablo!! :)

11. bentasm1

bentasm1 Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    he did get an audi. :)

-Ben

12. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    I've owned my new 04 Murci for 10 weeks and done 5500 miles in it - must be the most well used Murci in the whole of Europe. I'm going to keep putting massive miles on it because I love it. I've had a couple of problems with the suspension lift system and a knock coming from the front suspension but its a fabulous car and its going to get used all year round.
    There will always be the odd lemon whatever make, model etc. Glad to say mine isn't one of them!

13. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Well ... by Audi I meant an A6 or something. The kind of car you just turn the key and go. Somewhat boring (even though that's arguable if you consider the RS6 ...), but dead stone reliable. I was about to say Mercedes ... but the chips are causing so many problems lately the legend doesn't work anymore.
    And anyways, I know you all got what I meant :p

Simon ... keep it up!!! Do you drive it daily?

14. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Lemon or not the guy took a huge financial beating on it, that would be hard to take for what he got in return from driving and owning it, its supply and demand, I don't get the big deal with the 360 why it has such a big demand for a high production exotic V8 Ferrari but the Lambos seem to have a very limited audience that wants them, hence big hits on resale.

Its also the same story concerning Lambos repair network, months sitting waiting for service and parts, Ferrari is not that much better but not that bad.Maybe its to be expected with exotics but having a car sit for a month at a dealership is a recipe for disaster, something will happen to it, a scratch, dent, the wrong guy moves it and damages the clutch, thats unacceptable unless extreme circumstances.

For Lambo to truly be competitive with Ferrari they need to be better in taking care of the cars repair networks and making customers happy.

15. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Almost! The guys at Lamborghini Manchester where it goes for servicing think i'm crazy!
    If you get 'Evo' magazine out there its part of their long term fleet for a year or so, so I write about it every month - servicing issues, odd funny story etc. They are paying me for it so I don't mind.
    Just washed it and off out in it now actually..

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    ferrrari , esp with the the 3 series cars, has much higher production numbers and higher sales...lambo only made 400 cars a year, max, until the gallardo..so it makes sense that parts for the murci are far and few in between....

17. davel

davel Guest

There are good handmade exotics. THE NSX for one. Its all you need to have a daily driving machine. Made in very very few numbers. Quality Control solves issues like the ones listed here for this gents Murci. Also adequate TESTING!

18. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    If I was in a Baptist church in the south I would scream "That's right. Saaaaay IT!"

If the dollar continues to take a dump...which it will...the decision will be made for most of use.

It's an important market...and they have to raise prices just to stay even. I tell everyone my BMW M3 is the best car I own. I love my 360's...yesterday's drive was the biggest groove ever. But I cannot deny how good other cars are.

I sell Italian electronics...they are troublesome at times.

19. lamborghinikid

lamborghinikid Karting

Oct 22, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Haney
    Lambo has never had a good rep for taking care of warranty work. There are alot of nightmare dealers out there that have left alot of people holding the bag. One would think that if you buy a $250,000 car that they would be bending over backwards for you. Not the case at all. There are a a few good lambo dealers out there. I have heard good things about Fox Valley and Lambo of Atlanta but for every two that have a good rep i have heard bad things about the next five. I just hope that this is one area that audi does improve lambo on. I thin service is as important as performance when it comes to buying a new exotic. To me this is what makes the GT40 so atractive . Supercar performance with a real warranty !

20. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Lambokid: Could not agree with you more. Continuing poor service and support from Lambo dealers will certainly make it more difficult for Audi to achieve the higher production numbers of these cars. In some locations the level of service is abominal. Audi needs to get rid of these "old school guys" as soon as they can. "Old School"= rape them good then ignore and move on to the next vict...er.. customer.

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i wonder how well the mechanic working on the ford focus is going to do on a GT?

22. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

hahahahaha good one

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

They are trying, but at least in the US with franchise laws here it is very difficult and will take time.

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just spoke with a gentleman this weekend who bought a Murci and a Gallardo and dumped them both for repeated technical glitches and part failures. It's too bad, really. On the other hand, the Carrera GT he had was really cool!

25. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    That's odd. My Murci has had no glitches whatsoever. My 360 Spider had a few minor issues, but that doesn't mean anything, you can expect some minor issues with any car. Regardless, I know of several people that own Murci's and Gallardo's, and the only complaint I have ever heard was the early e-gear software in the Gallardo, which has now been fixed/updated. Lambo did a tremendous job on the new e-gear system, much better than the F1 system on my 360 (much more predictable off the line, and has the launch control feature).