Michelin PS2 tyre report for 550 | FerrariChat

Michelin PS2 tyre report for 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stephens, Oct 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Those of you with 550's will well know the traction problems of the car.
    I replaced my P Zeros with the new Michelin Pilot Sport 2's about a month ago and thought you may be interested in the results.
    The car no longer suffers from chronic wheel spin and axle tramp.
    On the 1-2 gear change that could end upwith wheel spin through to third if the road was less than ideal, all I now get is an extended chirp and much missed acceleration. The 2-3 change does little more now than illicit a solid chirp.
    Seat of the pants, the PS2 has as much traction on a damp road than the P Zero has in the dry. I came to this conclusion when applying the "wheel spin" test on the PS2 in the wet. It actually spun less than the P Zero used to on a dry road!
    Break away, front and rear, is smooth and predictabale, with the car losing none of the enjoyment of four wheel drifts on freeway onramps.
    Bottom line, these tyres rock!

2. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Sounds like it handles a lot better now. Did you consider the corsa system's too? Good tires make such a huge difference. It is the one area that simply isn't worth skimping on with a high performance car.

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Looked at all alternatives including R spec. A set of Cups lasted a few weeks on my E55 before they were toast, also wet weather handling is dangerous. The Corsa/Cup tyres a great for track days, but no good on a daily driver, especially in Mlebourne.

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    just a side note...F chatter AHG just tried Sport cups on his 355 after previously having Pirelli Corsas....and they were 3 seconds a lap (~90sec lap)slower at Sandown...which is a really tyre hungry track.

And Stephen, the Pirelli's you dismounted were really old, worn and hard. A fairer comparison would be to new Pirelli Rosso,

I just tried the 512M on new P Zero Rosso's and it was excellent (smooth, quiet, supple, grippy), much better than the 512TR on new Bridgestones (firm ride and twitchy)...and the 512's take the same rear tyre as a 550.....

I'm not particualrly biased to either brand...but I think the Pirelli is a better option for most uses.

But the way you drive you'll be needing newies again before christmas anyway!!

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Haha. They weren't that bad when I got them!
    This is actually my second 550, the first also had the same traction problem. If you read some of the other 550 posts, you will see it is not uncommon.
    In the past I have always liked the Pirelli's because they are a quiet tyre, with a good balance between comfort and performance, but now they have to step up to the plate with a new design to compete with Michelin.
    In testing the PS2 is 2 seconds a lap quicker than the PS1 (according to the Michelin release info i read a while back anyway.)
    Good info on the Cup V Corsa too, thanks.

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Can you post a pic of the thread of your PS2s ?
    Are these the ones with the V-shaped profile ?

I opted for Expedia S02s from my worn out PZeros and I would not say I am thrilled with the change. Ride is more "velvety" but lateral grip on the wet is really not great. Always difficult to comment without side-by-side comparisons, just a gut feel.
    I also regret that the S02's roundish profile make the car look less "planted".

7. Blow Dog

Blow Dog Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Interesting comments as my 550 suffers from a lack of grip in anything other than bone dry conditions.
    Have always been a fan of SO2's, but on a totally different kind of car.

CK

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The V shaped profile is the original Pilot Sports. The S02 is supposed to be a very good dry weather tyre, but the PS2 is noticeably better in the dry and in another class in the wet.
    Here is some test data from the Tire Rack.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/mi_ps2_nextGen_c.html
    Pics to come

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Would you consider 225/40R18 data to be relevant for a Maranello ?

10. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    This gives you relative info on the grip, wet and dry, of the tyre compared to others.

11. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    #11 stephens, Nov 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Hi Stephen, what size PS2s did you get? You should check the load rating as when I last looked they weren't up to the factory requirements. Need 95 on front and 99 on rear - otherwise the car would be unroadworthy in Vic.

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Load rating is 97 front, 99 rear.

14. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Cool, so you put the 265/35-18 on the front and not the 255/40-18 OEM size? Presumably heaps of clearance and no rubbing on the guards?

15. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Great review---thanks! I have heard that the PS2 is a great tire, but haven't tried it yet. I do agree with another poster that the PZero Rosso is also SUPERB on the 550, esp. for track work, too.

16. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    The PS2 is all marketing. The sidewall flexes way too much. Corsas are a much better option since they still OK in the rain. IMHO.

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I've driven PS2's on Z8 and 997, and you're full of it. They ride better because the sidewalls have more compliance. Look at the sidewall construction and tell me in your vast unknown experience whether they're "too flexible".
    The Rossos are utterly unforgiving anywhere but track/smooth pavement. And they didn't impress me much in the rain either, this on heavily textured pavement we have here in TX. Rossos better than the rock hard yellows, but still not as good as PS or PS2 in multi use driving.
    Marketing? How so? I've been to Laurens SC, and I don't think it is hype. What's your background/experience to make this call IYNSHO?

18. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Obviously you wouldn't know your way around a track now would you. If compliance is what you are looking for get a honda civic, it is right up your alley.

19. India Whiskey Charlie

India Whiskey Charlie Formula Junior

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    There is nothing wrong with the PS2 as far as maximum performance street tires are concerned. It is right at the top of the list in my opinion. The Corsa is an R-compound. Why even compare the two?

20. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Simple the Corsa is a street legal DOT approved tire for a high performance car. If you only use the car for highway and street use I agree, but Michelin markets it as a high performance tire and I personally feel (again IMHO) that it falls short. The Corsa has enough tread to work right so why skimp just becomes it wears quicker. BTW, the PS2 is fine for most people, I just didn't care for his strong response.

21. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Exactly, in fact, I am pulling the r compound tires that I run in the summer/track season off my pcar today and putting ps2's on. AS soon as I have some miles on them, I will give my opinion. I can tell you I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of very happy ps2 owners and the feedback I got was they are a great ride, as Lee said, and also offer superb traction dry and wet, are quiet and offer great handling characteristics.

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Riiiight. Care to try me, zippy?
    And Dave said Rosso, NOT Corsa. Corsa is great as are Cup michelins. I've driven both...have you?
    You didn't answer my question...
    What's your background/experience to make this call IYNSHO?

Perhaps Dave and I can show you our taillights someday if you can get mom to let you have the car. :D

23. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    Actually I have tried both. Right now I have the cups on my GT2. They are great for the track, but not the rain. Before that I had the Corsas which I also liked a lot, but they are a little more of a compromise tire. I had the PS2's on for awhile and they are marginal, unless you don't like the track or canyons. I am buying a 550 next week and plan on either the Rossa or Corsas, but not the renowned PS2. Sounds like you must have just bought a set.

Zippy

24. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Actually I have S02s on my Shark, PS2's on Z8, had Corsas on 360S. Cups or Corsas go on Shark next. I swap'em based on # of severe heat cycles and wear. usually get 7-8k miles out of 'em @ best. Track cars have had Hosers, GY, and gumball dunlop repops on vintage stuff. Street tires overall tolerate heat on track poorly 2ndary to tread squirm. I toasted some Yokes on my Works @ TWS in rain, even. 4k mi on 'em. Erasers.

25. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    There is a private track event at WSIR on the 16th. Why don't you come and we can trade some more tire comparisons. I would like to see what a shark will do with an experienced driver at the helm. I'll give you a ride in the GT2. There should also be a couple of Stradales, as well. PM if you are interested, there will be a max of 12 at $300 for the day :).