What are these lights? | FerrariChat

What are these lights?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by godabitibi, Mar 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #1 godabitibi, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    According to the user manual I downloaded from the "Ferrari database":

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Owners.htm

...it appears your seatbelt light has been blacked out. The manual doesn't show all the lights, however. I'd guess you have both seatbelt lights blacked out.

Maybe take this question to the 348 forum?

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Mar 13, 2012
    Here is a video from davebdave who has a Mondial t 1992. Your car looks like a Mondial t (1989-1993) Also see diagram below:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loj_fz-sK5c&feature=BFa&list=ULMq_vyfBeMfo&lf=mfu_in_order[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks guys! Nice place to get manuals. I think they are the belts lights.

Mike this is not my car. Well not yet, but maybe it will. If the PPI and everything work OK!

Thanks again!

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 soucorp, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    A careful look at the tape seems to indicate 1st arrow (#27 Shock absorber setting warning light) and the 2nd arrow (#83 Front RH belt indicator). In any event, having tape over them suggest the lights are on and needs to be addressed/repaired. Good luck!

Here is the link for manuals:
    http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Manuals_Owners.htm

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The owner just answered me saying the 1-4 and 2-3 lights were blinking but the car ran nice and that is why he placed a piece of tape over them. I guess he is talking about the slow down lights. It is a 1990. Anyway, that is something to be concern with.

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hopefully your PPI guy will let you know how serious these are and you can weigh the risk?
    The slow down light can be a simple fix or a big expensive fix.

All the best.

8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    That's a real concern because it says more about an owner that would rather look blindly at an issue than take care of it, what other deferred maintenance has he turned a blind eye to?

Slow down lights are indicators to cats, ECU's or thermocouple's. Not a big deal to replace one or the other but it makes me wonder about the car in general.

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #9 godabitibi, Mar 14, 2012
    Well, I guess not everyone are the same. Most of what is cosmetic has been addressed. New paint job(10K), new top, new seat upholstery. Car looks really good. Engine bay look nice too, not neglected. New Michelin tires. Passenger side motorized seat belt inoperative. He said second speed is a little stiff when cold but ok when warm. All tools, books, records,factory cover, 2 owner car. Really doesn't look like a neglected car. He sent me many high resolution pics. What do you think if I offer 25K as is? Also have original wheels and tires.

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    The house of neglect, is filled with hidden rooms. Paint can't be hidden. ECUs can, etc.
    IMHO, tape over lights is a major red flag, unless the purchase price takes the tape (and God knows what else) into consideration.

Best of luck,

Hank

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    +1 on the ECUs for the t. Has anyone priced one lately? I seem to recall about a grand each.

12. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Wow, 25k?

Is that all these bring these days?

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 soucorp, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    ...Again, the prices of these cars are based on color, condition, miles, service history and finding the right buyer to come along. This one certainly looks great, but has a lot of things to be sorted, slow down lights, seatbelts, maintenance etc so be prepared to spend up to an additional $10k to get it mint. That's ~ $35k which is what these are worth at the moment.
    Just a thought, but if you are a DIY kind of guy, seems to be a good deal. BTW, 360 wheels looks best on a Modena, not so much on a t, just my opinion.

14. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Tape over a very serious set of CELs is definite red flag. Was he hoping you wouldn't notice?

What else haven't you noticed hiding under a mask.

As most will tell you, get a thorough PPI, look at the maintenance history and the last time it had the belts and bearins replaced, make sure the steering rack isn't leaking, how old are the tires, not how good is the tread, take a look at my Bradan thread and ask yourself is 25k the right price, for you.

We already know you have a cat or ECU issue so factor that in. Mine, from the outside looking in, was and is gorgeous, but looking out from the inside was a different story.

I believe those 360 wheels require some hub modifications, I read that somewhere, so the original wheels may no longer fit, but others may or may not confirm that fact.

25k is NOT what these are going for these days, that is just the purchase price.

But if you like what you see and read, go for it! But be prepared to have her sorted for about a 1/3 more of your purchase price

Good luck and keep us informed if you jump in.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks guys! I'm here to get serious opinions. First, I do EVERYTHING MYSELF. I will not pay a dollar of labour for sure. Except if the electronic require very special tools. I'm a skilled mechanic and have good knowledge in modern electronic engine controls. But this car is pre OBDII and I don't know what is needed to diagnose the system. The owner told me the rear wheels have been machined to fit the car. The last major was done in 2007 including new water pump by Vinny in Fort Lee, NJ. Owner has record and video of the labour. So I know I need to get the engine out next winter. One of the solenoid for the trunk is not working. If the part is wrong it is around $700 for that alone. He told me he would sell it for 27K. I was going to offer 25K as is with no PPI. I know I'm gambling! Should I?
    Now I know I can get Scaledetail 3.2 in good working order for 22K.

What should I do ??????

16. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    Hi,
    Buy a well sorted car. The price of parts and special tools can add up very very quickly and factor in the frustration and down time while waiting for parts and tools. Its almost driving season and you do not want to miss on that.
    Goodluck with your hunt.

17. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I can see in the photos that that car has the automatic seatbelts so I think Mike is right, Suspension and passenger seat-belt. The suspension could be an expensive fix. The computer is $1200 (I bought one) and the shock actuators are also pricey. I would be wary of a Mondial with any type of warning light (except for the seatbelts which are just a novelty (There is a back-up hard mount).

Seat-belt computer is $800 if you have to have one.

The check-engine lights are a big deal as are the slow-downs.
    The car defaults rich with a check-engine fault so it won't pass emissions even though it may run strong.
    Slow down lights could easily be the cat ECUs which were later redesigned for some reason($600 each I think)(I bought two)

The later Motronic version 2.7 obd codes can be read by punching buttons in the trunk. I don't know which version this 1990 has. If you are a DIY, I would look for the 2.7 as it can be useful.

check out www.my348.com for everything you want to know about the 3.4 liter engine.

Whatever it is, It can be fixed. How bad do you want it?

Dave

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    For the interrested ones, just after I bought Scaledetails car the owner of that T told me he would accept $26K. I have many pics if someone is interrested.