Any California Ferrari Owners Denied of Emissions Warranty | FerrariChat

Any California Ferrari Owners Denied of Emissions Warranty

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 4i2fly, Oct 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Any California Ferrari Owner Denied of Emission Warranty Coverage

1. Yes, I Have Been Denied of Emission Warranty within The Specified 7/70 Period

2. No, I Have Never Been Denied of Emission Warranty Coverage

3. I Don't Know What California Emissions Warranty is

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I own a 2000 360Modena and recently my precats/exhaust manifolds and catalyst converters were damaged beyond repair while under California Emissions Warranty. Ferrari North America denied coverage for the repairs even though I have 7 years or 70,000 miles of extra warranty for emissions related component.

Does anyone here on the board or know of someone with a Ferrari ever been denied of emissions warranty coverage and if so what were the circumstances. Your participation in this thread is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Note this is only for the 360Modena, it may be different for other Ferraris: An insert is provided in the Warranty Card and service book with California cars which comprehensively explains the coverage and the components that are covered under the Emissions Warranty. The covered components range from fuel pump to ECUs, TCM, Intake manifolds, Fuel Tanks, motorized throttle valve housings, secondary air pump, the catalytic converters and the exhaust manifolds with warm up three way catalytic converters and many more components.

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hmm, not to sure of being denied but I have herd of 360's not passing emmissions.

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    412 -

This sounds somewhat scary to a potential new(used) buyer.......
    Can U say how/why this happened?

Thanks,
    James

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have to refer the how and why for later as many experts (outside of FNA) are still investigating the root cause/s. I am compiling evidence including the evidence Ferrari have provided and will be more than happy to share with the community when finished.

5. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I would suggest that the american federal government requires that cars have a 50K or 100K capability. I believe Ferrari is responsible to make your car capable of passing.

I strongly suggest you look into what the federal guidelines are for any manufacturer selling a car in the United States.

Might just save you more than a few dollars..

(I"m not sure but I do believe there is a durability standard that all cars sold in America must adhere to..)

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are correct but Ca. has a higher standard and are strickter on enforcement.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    got it.
    thanks,
    james

8. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    If you read the California Code of Regulations, it appears that Ferrari is only required to provide a warranty on Emissions systems for 3 years, with the exception of "High Priced" emissions parts, which must be warrantied for 7 years. "High Priced" parts are identified by the manufacturer based on a confusing set of rules outlined in the section found here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regs/title13/2037.pdf

Any part meeting this criterion must be replaced at no charge to the owner, should it fail. . .

. . . unless they have determined that the damage was caused due to abuse or neglect (2037, sec i). In which case, you'll have to pay for it.

You probably know all this by now, since you've read your warranty coverage. I certainly didn't know it until I looked it up tonight.

9. ///alpinepower

Mar 7, 2004
    Federal warranty is 8 years/80k miles.
    EPA:
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

10. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Thanks for the post and you are right some components like the catalyst converters, ecu and OBD computer are covered up to 8 years/80,000 miles and the rest are 2 years/24,000 miles under Federal emissions warranty and some up to their first replacement cycle. The 8/80 is also mentioned on the California warranty insert.
    I believe there are a total of eight states that provide as comprehensive emissions warranty as California like Vermont and Massachusetts and the coverage is much more than the Federal coverage.

The important note to owners is to educate themselves with the warranty coverage and find out how they are covered in other states. The insert that came with my car is only for California sold and registered "new" cars.

11. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Emission related components and/or the expensive warranty coverage are explained in the link below:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regs/title13/2037.pdf

I urge you to look through your warranty coverage and/or contact your dealer to receive the California Emission Warranty for your specific vehicle if your car was missing the warranty insert.

All California cars must come with an insert explaining the emssions coverage in detail and where the responsibilities lie. A car is considered a California car if it was sold and registered new in the State of California. If the car for example was sold in Texas and later registered in California may not be covered under this warranty coverage.