Whistling Sound from Side Mirrors? | FerrariChat

Whistling Sound from Side Mirrors?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by blockbuster, Dec 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    On my new 458, I notice a wind whistling sound which seems to come from the driver's side door mirror. If I have the window closed, the sound is quite faint. But, with the window open (which I like so I can hear the engine more), the whistling sound is very clear.

Under about 30 mph, I don't hear it. But anywhere from about 35 mph up, I can hear it. The sound is not constant, but it is there a lot of the time. The reason I think it is coming from the side mirror is that if I reach out and rotate the mirror inwards (as I would to park in a narrow space), the whistling sound stops.

Have any other 458 owners heard a similar whistling noise? If so, have you found a solution to the problem?

Thanks!

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have not heard this but it was my pet peeve on the F430. Those open mirrors made an awful wind noise all the time.

3. jwp98

jwp98 Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    midwest USA
    I heard a whistle on the driver's side once but I'm pretty sure it was ice preventing the window from sealing. There are two or three other weird turbulence noises too. Can't tell but one might be from the passenger side wiper. It may just be the normal airflow of the car. I'm planning to ignore it by way of race mode or the radio.

4. spyke

spyke Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2011
    Place To Be
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Try to consult a technician at Ferrari dealership. Let your car for a general check up.

5. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Maybe you have a lose window seal mine has no noise at all.

6. dhalpin

dhalpin Karting

Jan 30, 2011
    Full Name:
    David Halpin
    I don't have it on my 2010 458 or my 2011. However, I recently wrapped my 2011 and it did whistle when I got it back. When the car was wrapped, they took the mirrors off. So, I took it to the dealer an they did something that fixed it. I don't know what, though.

7. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #7 Noblesse Oblige, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    +1 Moving the mirror slightly could disrupt flow around the seal to silence or enhance the noise. It is definitely not normal.

8. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    Thank you all for your helpful feedback. I'm glad to hear that the whistling noise is not normal.

I plan to drive the car some more through the running-in period and then take it to the dealer and see if they can fix the whistling noise problem.