how do you strip 308 wheels for refinishing | FerrariChat

how do you strip 308 wheels for refinishing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stevegtsi, Oct 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    i'd like to use the griot's kit to refinish my 308 wheels, which are the original ones which came with the car. any suggestions? thanks, steve

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Search some on Magnesium, maybe add paint. There was a discussion about the importance of stripping the Mg chemically vs mechanically & whatnot. Some talk about not stirpping to bare metal, either, etc.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #3 Peter, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had mine "gemblasted" by a local shop (I'd point you to a website for reference, but they don't have one). Essentially like sand blasting, but they use finely-crushed precious stones as a blasting media. Could be a pile of BS that was fed to me, but to do four wheels only cost me $50 Cdn, so for that reasonable amount, I could care less what he used.

In any case, it left a beautiful, fine, satin finish. I then used a zinc-chromate primer, then finished off with a satin-aluminum paint - all from spray cans. Turned out really nice and has held up perfectly so far after three years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I should've labled the pictures:

1- Mini spray both. Wheel sits on a lazy-Susan, so it can be spun around while being painted for an even finish.
    2- Gemblasted wheel.
    3- Zinc-chromate primer coats.
    4- Satin aluminum coats.
    5- Krylon clear coats.
    6- Ferrari and Campagnolo decals (applied before the clear. The clear then protects the decals from easily scratching off).

5. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    thanks for the info. where do you get the ferrari and campangolo decals? thanks, steve