3 transmissions in3 months | FerrariChat

3 transmissions in3 months

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JediFu, Sep 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JediFu

JediFu Rookie

Feb 23, 2011
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have had 2 transmissions fail in the past three months. Was told by FNA that there was a run of bad parts, but dealer told me they have replaced more than mine. I have 2500 miles on my car since July and have had the car at the dealer as much as in my garage. There will eventually be a recall. This is my first Ferrari and I am going to try to have them buy it from me so I can get out of this headache! For those on the waiting list...CANCEL!

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    typical.
    perfection has a price.

3. needspeed

needspeed Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Middle of nowhere IA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am very sorry for the bad experience, it is unacceptable. But if this was widespread, I think we would have heard about it here and this is the first time I am hearing about it from your post.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but this is a very poor situation indeed......Steve

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think that's enough to lemon the car. How old is the car? they should have ironed all the glitches by now.

5. JediFu

JediFu Rookie

Feb 23, 2011
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It is a lemon. Went to pick up car today and now there is engine trouble.

6. JediFu

JediFu Rookie

Feb 23, 2011
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Also, there was an American Lemans event at Limerock and they went through 8 gearboxes. The gearbox is great when it is working, but it is not perfected!

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    you know, it's funny, but one of the first things that went through my mind after driving my 458 in anger for the first time was, 'how the hell can they sell this car with a full 3 year warranty....they are gonna go broke....'

i guess now we'll find out with issues like this popping up. what about the engine? rev's like nothing i've ever seen and will spend lots of time north of 7000rpm, so we'll see how that holds up.

but when the 458 is working it is amazing

8. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    You may want to check the facts you're getting. Up until a couple weeks ago the 458 race cars were sequential shift. Radically different then the paddle. Only the Patron team is currently testing the paddle.

9. ocr

ocr Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    Huntington Beach Cal
    Full Name:
    Glenn Morrow
    Boy I sure hate to hear that. I have 2000 miles on mine and no problems so far but will watch out. Good luck getting a new one.

10. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i estimate it will take 2 1/2 to 3 years for me to clear the 458 spider list.
    by then, i hope the problem gets resolved!
    i have an '09 mb sl63 and there were several early posts in the mbforum concerning problems with the new clutch/tranny on this vehicle.
    now my vehicle is 2 1/2 years with 12k miles on it and i am experiencing issues!

11. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Sorry to hear that I've had my 458 for a year now and haven't had one problem, not even a rattle.

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    GT2/GT3/Grand AM gearbox is totally different.

13. aschultz19

aschultz19 Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    Plain"Jane"Field, IL
    Full Name:
    Tony..........
    Everybody on the Spider waiting list please read what the Jedi is posting as I believe the trans problem will never be fixed. Please spend your money on the Macca or Lambo. I will personally sacrifice myself and get the spider next spring and give a comprehensive report.

And by the way, you're welcome....

Tony......................

14. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I've never told the story of my first 430 spider. I always thought it be viewed by all my forum friends as bashing, so I kept it to myself. Based on this post, I'll reveal what happened.

My first 430 spider was a brand new 2007. From the very first time I drove it something with the F1 and clutch didn't feel right. Long story short, one year and over 30 emails and 10 visits to the service cener, Ferrari finally admit the car has a problem, and suggest they need a special tool from Italy to fix the year old issue. One catch, they have the oddasity to tell me that it will take 4 months to get the tool.

At the point you could have scraped me off the floor from frustration and anger. So I told them to stick it and I wouldn't except nothing less that a new car. One month later and many, many more emails and phone calls, and they agreed to give me one of the new cars they had coming. It had more options and I made out quite well on the deal financially.

The moral of the story is that even though my first Ferrari experience was nothing short of a nightmare, I never lost the passion for tha car and the replacement car literally never had a single thing wrong with it. It was absolutely perfect for the 2 years I owned it.

I've had the 458 for 4 months and so far so good. I couldn't be happier. 

Have faith brother!

15. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Sadly, sometimes you must force people to do "the right thing" which in this case seems to mean they replace the lemon with a new 458. Stuff happens, they just need to make it right, IMHO. Please keep us posted.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Jedifu is upset and probably has a right to be. So, he's lashing out on a internet forum in a primal scream.

Some may view that this as therapeutic and a natural response and others may see it as immature that doesn't advance his cause.

It doesn't really matter what we think.

What matters is he needs to get his car fixed and back on the road so he can enjoy it like the rest of us again.

I hope he does and starts to have the chance to understand what a great car he owns because that's what he deserves.

17. jwp98

jwp98 Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    midwest USA
    Getting a randdom, defective car doesn't cause threads like this.
    Incredibly bad customer service does.

It's an eye opener to find out how little you matter as a customer. Much bigger hitters than me have been ignored or insulted. And it certainly isn't limited to Ferrari.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They replaced his transmission in 5 days. Try that with a Nissan GTR.

I'm trying to figure out how poor customer service plays in here. Unless the technician made a mistake in the installation, it seems like the problem is more with the supplier of the gearbox than Ferrari itself.

19. MattiValhalla

MattiValhalla Karting

I could not have said it better.

And I won't ruin your weekend with the debacle I went through with a brand new Porsche and PCNA. I will never own another product from those miserable, incompetent fools.

20. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I agree completely.

21. jwp98

jwp98 Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    midwest USA
    I was speaking more to the whole thread including cpiguy than to the OP.

22. cka

cka Formula 3

Oct 12, 2009
    botanic gardens
    Full Name:
    king
    Besides the occasional on board warning which goes away when i restart my engine, i have never had any problems with my 458 and i have had it for 9 months. Guess you got a lemon.Good luck and hope Ferrari provides you a satisfactory solution.

23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Wow! 4th generation of the F1 shifter on V8 cars and they still can't get it right.

24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Not to make excuses. But everytime a new tranmission is introduced, new bugs will need to be fixed.

The DCT produced by Getrag is known to have problems dealing with high toruqe and HP.
    So Ferrari's and BMW's and other brands that prodcue prodigous amounts of torque and HP may have problems.

Testing should reveal these shortcoming before customers have to suffer.

I don't know why factory testing doesn't. Maybe it does, but Getrag hasnt got the fix in time and so cars get built and sold with the implicit assumption that the cars will get fixed during the warranty period.

25. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    *sigh* Offer a trouble-free 6spd manual already.