I need some feed back on these... | FerrariChat

I need some feed back on these...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tbakowsky, Oct 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #1 tbakowsky, Oct 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    They look nice - Were they Jet Hot coated?

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes they were jet-hot coated. These manifolds are hand made. I need some questions and feed back from you guys so I can complete my research and developement. I will be becoming a sponsor of the sight once I get any question ironed out. I want to be able to offer these manifolds at a fair price. In other words far below the Ferrari price tag.

Please no questions about cost. THEY ARE NOT FOR SALE AT THIS TIME. Only when I become a sponsor will anything be sold. This is strictly for reasearch perposes at the moment. Rob if you feel this should not be placed on your board..please remove. These are in the prototype stage.

4. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Is that a flex joint in the pipe?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes it is...Please if you have any concerns about this please post reasons

6. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Q1 How does the sound compare to the factory originals?

Q2 Is the heat generated less than the factory originals?

7. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    I would think that the flex joint would be a weak link. Is the whole header stainless steel?

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The entire header is made for 304 stainless. The ones pictured are the prototype manifold. All tubes are equal length as original..but will be fully mandrell bent..not peiced together like in the pic. I'm installing these units on a 355 I have at my disposal for this purpose. The flex peice is also stainless steel. That is a Canadian patented design. It will withstand super high heats. It is an expensive unit but worth the money.

I have not yet been able to do any dyno runs. These are built as a stock replacment unit. I will in the future maybe offer a performance style header..but these must come before any performance stuff can be even thought of. I will be doing a dyno test on this car just for information purposes only.

The reason for using the flex is to remove the stress that the original manifold has to put up with that cats and crossover pipe cause. IMHO their is not enough movment in the stock exhaust design to allow for engine flex..or for enigne mounts that get weak over time. All this can put undue stress on the manifolds.

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Jet Hot coatings do dissipate heat better than stock. I had a few engine parts from a show car years ago coated. It does reduce under hood temps.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I will have the car up and running tomorrow (hopefully).

The coating will definatly help with underhood temps. I'm going to be getting another 355 with the stock manifolds and take temp readings of the engine bay, with the hatch closed and compair the readings with the prototype units.

The entire unit is 304 stainless. They are a bit heavier then the stock manifold most due to the better material we have made them from. I'm shooting for a lifetime garentee(or for as long as you own the car).

11. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    I might be a bit confused here?? but isn't the reason for ceramic or "Jet Hot" coatings to reduce absorbption and radiation and pass the heat on through the exhaust, not use it as a radiator to heat up the engine compartment??

Are the pipe diameters the same?? The bends and welds look good. Does the Bellows affect longevity or flow?

Are there any interior construction or desing improvements to enhance flow?

NICE looking work.

best,
    chris

12. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Tom

They look good, like the big round air tubes .. the square one are prone for cracking as you know.

In addition to sound and hp benefits the main question (for 355's) is how will they stand up against cracking.. So, if you want to market them, you will have to consider what kind of warranty you would be prepared to offer. Just something to consider..

Please continue to keep posting your test results...I know many 355 owners here would be interested.

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great work! please keep us posted, my hats off to you for pursuing this. best of luck to you!

14. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I would have thought that mandrel bending would be much more expensive plus the differing wall thickness through the bends? I always fabricate the tubes from off shelf bends. I would suggest a waterjet type cutting for the flanges, they come out with a good ready to weld finish. What heat treat is used after fab? Was the ceramic in house? Unusual to see the runs in the finish.

Brian

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

Yes those are the manifolds on ebay. My partner and I are using ebay as a market reasearch tool for the momment. We want to see if there is any real interest in this product.And if it is worth going into full production or make them on a build to order basis only.

Brian S..... Mandrell bending is a bit more expensive but it will make the manifold a much better flowing unit then the protype unit showen. With the better quality stainless steel and it also being a thicker steel the bending, I feel will have a very minimal effect on the strength of the metal. All flangers will be water jet cut and be almost identical to the original units. The Jet coat on these manifolds was not done aswell as I had hopped. The company that did them for me has heard about it already..trust me the next ones will be beautiful.

FL355...I'm shooting for a liftime warrenty on these headers. But for now they are still in the test stages. The car will be up and running tomorrow I hope. I will be driving the car and monitoring the under hood temps with an infarred thermomiter. Then it's off the the track for a few hot laps. I'm also going to be doing various stages of temperature runnings test. Such as short trips and starting and idleing and then shutting off again. Just to find out how well the pipes and welds will hold up to consatnt temperature changes.

Please keep all the questions and comments comming..it's really a big help! Thank you guy's very much.

16. AHG

AHG Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Don't forget to give us your feedback on the sound they make compared to the originals and/or tubi etc.

17. 355flyer

355flyer Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2004
    Gadsden, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Andy Entrekin
    Anything yet????

18. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Looks good. I would assume if mandrel bent that the welds will be gone. Also all of the final welds should be ground smooth including the inside where it can be done. And my last comment is the flex joint. I have found in the past that this is the weak joint. I would suggest that you make this piece replaceable because it will break. Other than that its good to go.