storage | FerrariChat

storage

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by cubbyman60, Oct 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    Where do you guys store your cars over the winter? Any popular places?

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    In my Garage with the cover on it, then i can at least start it once a month and if it's clear outside, drive it a bit to keep the engine lub'ed and feeling good :). Or in the shop if i'm having work done on it.....

:|~

I am hoping in the sring time to start construction on ym garage, i want to enlargen it from a 2-car to a 4-car garage with a 12ft ceiling. Then i can put a lift in it and have more room for some more toys.... :)

3. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    We get one cool evening and someone starts talking about storing the car for the winter (LOL); just drive it 'til the snow's higher than the front spoiler.

My car stays in the semi-warm garage under a cover with a battery tender attached for the duration.

One of my neighbors takes his BMW M4 to a place in Lake Bluff, but their deal sounds less than attractive to me- the car has to be delivered by a certain date and once it's there it can't be taken out until the spring.

4. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    There is a guy who I met at the FCA party at Friebergs, then again at Epifino's party... has a storage facility in Kenosha, seems pretty well known amongs FCA folks in the area here... blanking on his name...
    Anyone know him?

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    No one knows / remembers this guy???

6. Manuel NSX1164

Manuel NSX1164 Karting

Jul 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Am interested in off-season storage for my track car, and possibly 1 more occasional-use vehicle that I may have to defer selling till the spring. Not really a function of "weather", just a near-term shortage of parking spots.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.... I need something secure and covered, not necessarily heated. Ideally with a concrete/solid floor (for jacking up cars/tire changes) and power outlets for light-duty use (task lighting and an occasional trickle charger).

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Tod-

You're doing more harm than good starting the car once a month and not driving it.

Fill the gas tank and put a battery tender on the battery, and don't start it unless you plan on driving it a good distance before putting it back in hibernation.

I just leave the cars sit in the winter.

8. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    You suggest I do this sitting thing with the 575? Even a spin around the block and letting it run for an hour is not too good?

My experiences with Florida is that the cars ran better if started and driven just a bit. The gas always seemed to clog up in the lines, the tires seemed mushy, and the battery acted all funky if my Benz and old BMW sat. Some of the electronic gizmos never seemed to work right but that just could be me.

Why would this starting in the winter trend be bad for the car?

RocketBoy

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Because the Engine and Exhaust really don't get Hot enough to burn out all of the Moisture that accumulates. If you want to burn off all of that Crap,you got to get the Car really Hot,(Warmed Up) and Driven for awhile. Not just around the Block,or Started up for awhile and turned off.

Ever notice the Water/Condensation that drips out of your Tail Pipe when you first start it up? If you don't get the Engine,and Complete Exhaust System Hot enough to burn that off,it's going to cause Rust,or other Problems. And,"Blow it" all out. Same as the Oil in the Crank Case,Gear Box,and Rear End/Transaxle. Got to get that Hot enough to burn up any Condensation.

I just saw a show on Speed TV that showed some Tips on how to Properly Store a Car. One thing,Fill the Gas Tank all the way Full,so that Rust cannot form on the portions of the Tank that are not covered by Gas. Make SURE to add some STA-BIL Gas additive. Gas breaks down after a Month or so,and makes Varnish,which will clog you Fuel System and Injectors,Etc...

Also,install aBattery Tender to keep the Battery Charged.

Make Sure that ALL Fluids are Topped off at the proper Levels.

If you have Cracks in your Garage Floor,it's good to cover the space under your car with a sheet of Plastic,then Drive your Car onto it. (To keep any possible Moisture from the Cracks risng up and into your car,if it gets warm in your Garage.)

To keep your Tires from getting Flat Spots,you can put some pieces of carpeting,(Available at any Carpet Store),folded over a couple of times,under your Wheels. Or,if you think that you'll get a good day here or there to take it out for a good Drive once in awhile during the Winter,thats good enough. But,top off the Gas Tank afterward.

mar76 likes this.