Classic Cars Article, 275GTB/4 vs Daytona? | FerrariChat

Classic Cars Article, 275GTB/4 vs Daytona?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Tspringer, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The December issue of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars has an in depth article on the 275GTB/4.

Its a pretty good article and does give some good insite into the car.... but the author apparently has some serious grudge against the Daytona. He compares the 275GTB to the Daytona directly in many ways and always come out claiming the 275GTB as the better car. Baloney!

The author, Glen Waddington, starts out by saying the 275GTB/4 is the "last road-going Ferrari to be truely 100% Ferrari". He says the Daytona was produced after Ferrari was under FIAT control. Baloney! The FIAT deal was announced on 6/21/69. The Daytona prototype was shown at the Paris salon in the fall of 1968. Production Daytonas were being built in April of 1969. The FIAT deal was not announced until 6/21/69. It took the better part of a year before FIAT really began to have an impact on actual Ferrari production. To say the Daytona is not a pre-FIAT Ferrari is to simply ignore the facts.

Waddington goes on to describe the styling as better than the Daytona... being "less obvious". What? I find the 275GTB/4 to be good looking car, but not as incredible as a Daytona. The 275 has too many louvers and scoops. The nose is also too bulbuous and overall its appears a bit to contrived for my tastes. To me, the Daytona is perfect from any angle. Its beautiful, sexy, perfectly proportioned and brutal all at the same time....

The author also calls the 275 interior "expensively bespoke" and slanders the Daytona interior cheapened by obvious FIAT bits. What? I have no idea what he is talking about here! The Daytona has no obvious FIAT bits I know of. The 275 has cheap plastic rocker switchs, a cheap looking dash with plastic panels, guages poorly laid out and a weak looking center console. The Daytona has the gorgeous and unique mousehair dash, a perfect guage layout, seats that unparelled but often copied, and plenty of room. I think the Daytona interior is tons nicer.

He also downplays the fact that the Daytona is by far the faster car. Its faster in acceleration and top speed. It also does not require the engine to be revved as hard and often because it offers so much more torque.

Anyhow.... the article just got my goat a bit. Sure, I admit to being seriously biased toward the Daytona. I feel the Daytona is a better car in every way. It looks better inside and out, is faster, has a much better competition history and is easier to own as a bonus.

If I were to write an article on the Daytona, I would talk about its virtues. I would not resort to slamming another model.

The 275GTB/4 is the more expensive car, rightly so given it was produced in far fewer numbers. That however does not make it the better car. If I were offered either a 275GTB/4 or my Daytona... and was told whichever car I picked I had to keep and drive every day and could never sell.... I would pick the Daytona without another thought.

Anyhow.... rant mode off!

Terry

2. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    Agreed ! Both are exceptional cars in their own right - but the Daytona is
    the one that had my nose pressed against the showroom window at age 15 - striving for just one more look. Now, some 35 years later, it still brings back those boyhood memories ...and now I'm entering the state of life where I can actually start looking for one in earnest ..instead of just window shopping.

3. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I haven't read the article, but it certainly sounds like the author was a bit prejudiced. I love both cars. The Daytona is more modern looking, but the 275 has that unmistakeable GTO-like presence. The 275 is the ultimate development of the Sixties Ferrari while the Daytona sits on the cusp of a sea change in automotive design. As such, it has attributes of both eras, the power and grace of the modern age coupled with somewhat heavy steering. Few people today remember that we shunned power boost in those days because it robbed power. I've had very well respected dealers tell me that the 275 is more livable than the 365 due to the heavy steering on the Daytona, but every man's definition of livable is different, isn't it? It all depends on how you use it, what pushes your buttons, and the era you grew up in. Be glad that Daytona prices are relatively affordable. you have a great car for half the price of a ratty 275 GTB.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    More livable? The defroster in mine was a chamios wrapped around a sponge. On summer days the cockpit got up to about 140 degrees. In the winter it took about an hour to get the oil off the peg. In traffic it fouled in a heartbeat. If you backed off to quickly it got real interesting quick.
    All of these are antiques. Livable isn't what they are about. These are big hammers that get the job done. They're both great cars. They are also quite different.

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. The livability comment was from a high-end exotic dealer who monitors this site and I was questioning his definition. A chamois wrapped around a sponge!!! Since you drove the wheels off the car you must have enjoyed the experience. I think the Daytona gets a bad rap for being heavy-handed in slow speed situations but, as you pointed out, the 275 has it's own plusses and minuses. If you're a true enthusiast you can easily ignore either car's foibles and lose yourself in its glorious exhaust note.

Given unlimited funds I think I'd opt for the 275 GTB, but that is no slam against the Daytona. I'd be proud to have one (or two, or three for that matter) in my garage.

6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Terry,

For what it's worth, I'm with you 100% on this one! :)

-Augustine

7. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Don't forget that in the same issue was yet another reference (among many recently) to how the Daytona will supposedly go up in value over the next couple of years. Maybe they just decided that the hook for the 275 4 cam story was simply that 'there's more to life than a Daytona'...

Anyway, since I couldn't afford a 275 of any variety, I guess I'll just have to put up with my ugly, slow, undriveable Daytona.

I've posted the following picture to remind us all just what a sorry-ass car it is. :)

John

8. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    365 Boy, what year and what is that color called, Please?

Thanks!

JMJ

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's the way to do it!

10. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    1972, blu chiaro, with tan interior (and brown mud on the tyres...).

John

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
  12. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    365Boy, Thanks! It's had me drooling every time I look at it. Great car, great color and a great shot of it!

13. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Great Post! LOL. Sure is a beauty.....and a refreshing colour.