Kitchen stove (gas) recommendations? | FerrariChat

Kitchen stove (gas) recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Feb 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #1 Nurburgringer, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This seems like the most appropriate section to ask for input.

We're making an offer on a home in the next few days, and assuming the deal goes through will need to buy a kitchen stove/oven. I can't tell exactly what the PO had in there. Maybe someone can ID in the low res photo below?
    The space to work with is 45" wide, 36" counter top height.
    Budget of $1000-$2000, a bit more if it's super freaking cool. I know this isn't even close to (new) AGA, Miele, Viking etc.
    We love to cook. Would use the burners 4-5 times/week, oven 1-2. Currently the wife and I use a convection toaster oven much more often than heating up the full size.
    Gas burners and convection oven are my only real requirements. Would like enough power to get a wok nice and hot.
    Cool appearance is a plus of course, but I'm not stuck on any finish, SS included.
    Any recommendations?
    thanks!
    House has an attached, heated 4.5 car garage BTW (where the PO is currently storing his Excalibur) :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    Do a search for Bertazzoni ranges. Less $$ than the big names like Wolf and Dacor, and they look pretty trick as well. I lost the battle to put one of these in my new kitchen and still wish I had done so.

Giovanni_P

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    What a NICE kitchen! :)

4. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    If you wank to use a Wok, make sure you have at least one burner rated at MINIMUM 10K BTU, 15K is better and (IMO) don't cross 24K BTU.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Nice kitchen....

Is the PO available to ask, since there is a car there or is it waiting for a flatbed?

6. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #6 Nurburgringer, Feb 17, 2011
    OMG
    No time now, will search for prices later. We gotta be talking $4k++ for a 36" 6 burner though right???
    The exact distance between the granite tops L/R is 45.5".

No kidding! The couple built the house (small cape cod) in '73, and over the years expanded it to almost 2500sq ft, (tastefully) added the huge garage, and transformed the backyard into an award winner garden (Milwaukee's "Garden of the year" in 2005).
    Plus a log-cabin garden shed that will make a kick-ass sauna :)
    The kitchen is a dream come true.

7. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I do plan on asking them, but have a hunch they spent a hell of lot more than $2k on theirs....

The car is sitting there under a cover, I assume because they didn't want it to take up space in their new place as long as they had free storage.

8. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    thanks for the input. Will take note!

9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #10 Nurburgringer, Feb 20, 2011
    uh thanks man but I have a 308 not a 458 ;)

AGAs are fabulous. The little B&B we stayed in for our Goodwood FOS trip had one. But since we don't own a B&B or plan to have a big enough family that will require using the stove/cooker multiple times per day, keeping the whole thing hot 24/7 is a major waste of energy not to mention the price.
    Of course my wife just walked by as I googled AGA. Her exact words: Oh my *redacted* god! so I had to PS one in....

Anyway, our offer was submitted today! We're nervous, so went to Sears to peruse the 'low' end (i.e. under $2k).

The more I think about it a 30" freestander is the way to go, with a 15" wide butcher-block and cabinet or open space for pans/racks etc under it. A 36 or 40" wide model would certainly look the business, but realistically we'd very rarely make use of 6+ burners and all that oven space.

We really liked the features, construction and looks of a few Kenmore Elite models (made by Electrolux in Canada accd to the sales dude). Depending on options (stainless vs black or white, simple convection fan or 'hybrid' fan with supplementary electric heat, temp probe, etc) there are some seemingly solid choices in 30" freestanding between $750-$1500.
    All have at least one 15000btu burner, cast metal knobs, fancy oven modes, relatively solid construction and look pretty sleek.
    Having 2 separate ovens is tempting; might be worth an extra $250 especially since we'd have storage space on the side.
    It isn't really a stainless-steel style kitchen (DW, fridge and main sink are white) so we're leaning towards white or black enamel. Much easier to clean as well.
    Opinions??
    Remember we're talking about a house worth ~$300k not $3M ;)

10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    36" Blue-star range from Costco?
    It's in your price range but I don't know how good it its. I just walked by one this week. We need new fridge and stove for the past 5 years and I've been procrastinating. I've paid to fix the fridge 3 times in the last 3 years. My wife has her heart set on wolf/zub zero. I want a Ferrari. It's tough. :p

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #12 It's Ross, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    Nothing really in your budget that will fill that space.
    Lots of little used high line stuff available from showy kitchens where momma preferred to order Dominoe's. Keep your eyes open.
    Also sniff around at the local distributor of this type appliance for a cash deal on a scratch and dent version.
    FWIW, good friends paid $$ for a Wolf and are unhappy. Our Gaggenau is finicky too.
    How about a vintage Chambers? http://www.vintagechambers.com/
    You're also going to need a serious range hood if you go high horsepower.

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Don't buy a low end range if you are serious cooks, especially a Sears branded one.

13. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Got a smokin deal on a Bosch with 8 grills all stainless on Atlanta Craigslist 2 years ago, it was a $4000 stove we got for $1200 and it was NEVER used.

check all the classifieds we got lucky

Wade

14. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #15 Nurburgringer, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    Well, last night the seller's counter offer came in quite a bit closer to our semi-lowball than I expected, so my stove budget just went up a bit :)

Thanks for the PM too. Those Chambers look sweet! Can't access the discussion forum from work, but that look with modern guts would be ideal.

The cream-city brick archway effectively forms a huge 'hood' over the whole range/oven space, with a serious ventillation fan in the ceiling to outside. These people knew what they were doing with this kitchen... they're French, go figure.

Could you elaborate a bit please?
    I don't anticipate ever using liquid nitrogen or an immersion circulator in our kitchen, but last night made mint and wild mushroom risotto, creamed spinach and broiled lamb t-bones. Came out pretty damned good, even on our apartment's cheap electric glass-top stove and weak broiler. Do I qualify as 'serious'? :)

I've read good things about the Kenmore Elite ranges shown in the first two photo-shops. Local service is a plus, as is the current 30% sale running for 2 more days.
    Leaning towards ordering one with delayed delivery, can cancel if I find something else or the deal falls through.

We liked either of these for $1380/$1660 (second has temp probe, one dual ring burner, fancier oven racks)
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02278303000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=L10

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02278403000P?prdNo=48

What in your opinion would a higher-end stove do for us, other than look fantastic of course?

15. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    nice deal! I am searching CL, but there aren't as many high-end homes/stoves around here as Atlanta ;)

Happy with yours?
    How often do you use it?
    Any repairs needed?

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Wolf.

We bought ours about 15 years ago from www.wolfstoves.com (Dvorson's, in California). They delivered via truck line to North Carolina.

The thing is a work horse. About a billion BTU's of non-insulated fury!

17. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

p.s. You'll be surprised how many burners you use, once you have them.

18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Last night I had 4 hobs going: simmering stock, rissotto pan, boiling water and sautee pan for spinach. Real estate was indeed in short supply (mainly becuase the glass-top had a lip so larger cookware can't 'overhang').
    If I had a center burner as well I would have seared/grilled the lamb on that before finishing in a convection oven, but the cheesy broiler did ok.

You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too many burners right :)

I don't have a Costco nearby but will try to check that out, thanks!
    This house costs basically the same as a lightly optioned 458, which I frequently point out to my wife :)

19. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    huh, 36" 6-burner Wolf is 'only' ~$2k.

More than double though if you want a convection oven!

http://www.wolfstoves.com/Wolf/Commercial/challengerXL.html#36

But, you have to pay $400-$900 more if you want "Push Button Ignition for Burner and Oven Pilot"???
    What's the alternative, a match?

20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Anything is going to be better than a Viking. The stove wasn't that bad, but the fridge and the dishwasher were breaking down every other week. Replacement parts availability was very bad, too.

21. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
  22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I've heard the same thing. Kitchen appliances are tough because there was so much consolidation of manufacturers a few years ago.... most of them (I'm told) went to crap in terms of quality.

We just got a new dishwasher, and avoided all the big premier names. Ended up with a full stainless Maytag, that seems to be extremely well built.

23. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #24 Nurburgringer, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Won't be a problem, out of my "range" ;)
    The DW looks like it's from the 70's with sweet push buttons that go "chunk" when you hit them. We wash just about everything by hand, but with kids someday and parties nice to have one.

How shnikies! If I ever open a restaurant that would do the trick :)

Our counter-counter offer had $3k extra if they sent back their stove (still don't know the brand), but they nixed it saying their new kitchen was built around it :(
    Still don't know what brand it is.
    They're old though, so if I'm nice to them maybe it'll find it's way back to me someday :)

Going back over there afternoon with an HVAC guru to take a final looksie, then tonight our best and final. Fingers crossed!

24. kali

kali Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Elle
    That's a gorgeous kitchen. Are you planning to put a vent above the stove?