Canonball Run bust... | FerrariChat

Canonball Run bust...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by noahlh, Sep 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    From cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/09/14/cannonball.run.spain.reut/index.html

Tuesday, September 14, 2004 Posted: 6:14 PM EDT (2214 GMT)

MADRID, Spain (Reuters) -- Spanish police temporarily seized luxury and sports cars driven by people they suspected of participating in an illegal road rally named after a 1981 film starring Burt Reynolds, a spokesman said on Tuesday.

Police said they were tipped off by a driver of a family car who said he had been overtaken by high-powered cars bearing rally-type markings in the northeastern region of Catalonia.

The managing director of Cannonball Run Europe, Tim Porter told Reuters on Tuesday that entrants in the rally of the same name had been fined by Spanish police, citing a law which the Spanish embassy later told his organisation does not exist.

"I think it is absolutely outrageous the police can make up laws as they go along," Porter said, adding that another of the rally entrants detained was charged with suspected speeding.

"At least half a dozen of them were picked up in a service station drinking coffee."

Police said they tracked down and impounded 71 cars including Porsches, Ferraris and Rolls Royces and took statements and addresses from their mostly British drivers.

"We suspect (the racers) of belonging to an illicit group, which organised illegal races which could put the lives of other people in danger," a Catalan regional police spokesman said.

A judge is now deciding whether to formally charge the drivers, he added. Their cars were released after they paid fines of between 150 and 400 euros ($183.6 -$489.6).

Police are attempting to identify the organisers of the rally, which drivers are believed to have paid thousands of dollars to join.

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Itsa da bull****a.

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Would never happen in the USA like that. Seizing cars for no reason.

4. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
  5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    "trying to track down the organisers"?

They have a freakin website. They seem to say that this is some top secret government overthrow. Stupid

6. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    And the fact that they claimed it was named after the movie does a complete injustice to Mr. Yates and the other original Cannonballers. If you want a good read, check out they aptly titled "Cannonball" by Brock Yates.

7. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    You have got to be kidding me, 'suspected speeding' ? Why stop there. That sounds like the men in black leather trench coats with two army soldiers, "You are to come with us for questioning"

8. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    In IL, you can have your car impounded if arrested for "Reckless Driving", which is either 30 or 40 over the limit.

9. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I love that line,

"Not included:
    Petrol, toll payments, travel insurance, mechanical breakdown cover & INCIDENTAL EXPENSES "

10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I'm sure with probable cause, but not just because you passed someone fast. If the police don't witness it it's hard to prove in court.

11. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I seriously will participate in a Cannonball or Gumball run one day. I just need the proper car first. (One that can avg. 170) all day. :)

12. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Amen to that. :)

13. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    The Canonball Run... What a great movie! The Dr. they had in the ambulance was hilarious... The second one sucked though. Also... Nice 308GTS and 246GTS in the first one, along with the SWEET sounding Countach.

14. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    A lot depends if it was the local police or the Civil LaGuardia (the national police force). You don't f**k with the Civil LaGuardia!! They tend to be humorless and carry submachine guns!

KevFla

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

What's stopping participants from getting ratted out all the way along? There has to be a better way to run these things i.e. get approval some how.

16. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Not meaning to step on anyone's toes, but why in the hell would anyone want to go racing/rallying on public roads putting legitimate road users in danger ? So many on this site (rightly) complain about some "ricers" (meaning Japanese cars) using public roads as racecourses. Is the situation somehow altered because these are rich guys in rich guy cars who've paid handsomely to participate in what is ultimately still an illegal streetrace ?

These wankers should all have their cars confiscated and be fined/thrown in jail. Maybe next time they'll take it to a proper racetrack instead.

17. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    it's called "guardia civil" :)

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Amen!

19. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    That's exactly what happened. Someone got their doors blown off and called the police.

20. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    Go in the corner and have a cry :D

'Suspected speeding?'

Thought police?

Evidence?

T.

21. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
  22. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm totally against all these activities. These guys are making money putting these races together, putting innocent lives at risk. Im just not into it guys. I think these events should be not be held anymore. Im glad this one got shut down at an early stage. I remember watching the 2003 Gumball 3000 in the US, and they were doing nothing much that special, except hitting high speeds..... WOW..... Thats what racetracks are for.
    I reckon they should cruise down to Nardo or something, and then go from there. That would be impressive....
    I remember seeing a picture of the Enzo trip meter, with top speed being 366km/hr. IMHO thats too damn crazy for the road....
    My 0.2c

23. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    If people are of a mind to drive dangerously, then they will regardless of whether someone organises a race for them. The organisers are blameless in my view.

Breaking the speed limit does not necessarily put innocent lives in danger. Inappropriate speed for the conditions does.

Robert.

24. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Eat me, jerk. I merely stated what I heard on the news.

25. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good point there Robert.
    I just dont like the idea of a medium for such high speed cars to do it. I mean, when there are two supercars on the street, it might spark a race. But if there is 15 on a freeway, then IT will be on. It starts to get dangerous when there is a group of them. Ive seen it down here in Australia, i often have a little go off the lights in whatever car im driving, but i always slow down before i speed over the limit, but if theres a bunch of us, then its on for young and old.... Ive seen people hurt doing this and thats why i took my stance on this issue.