360 m new engine replacement | FerrariChat

360 m new engine replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by G-force, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
  2. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    If true, I'm not sure 450 shp will be enough (can't believe I said that) considering the SL, AMG, Lambo, Ford etc competition. Before I would park my 360, I would want at least 500.

3. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Ferrari will go for 500 bhp for sure. The 360 CS has 425 bhp and I can't see Ferrari making the 360 replacement with 25 bhp more.

4. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    The other side of the coin...think how bad the resale would be on existing 360's with that kind of a HP difference!!

5. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

a) 450 HP will be plenty on a 3,000 pound car; those others are all heavier

b) NO MORE CAM BELTS? Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Yeah you have a point there..
    but with the Gallardo and the Ford GT with over 500bhp and there's the Porsche 997 Turbo thats coming.
    Maybe 450 bhp will be okay if its light enough.

7. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Has anyone else gotten confirmation of this from their dealer? I'm gonna put in a call to mine tomorrow.

8. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    the post is pure speculation. for one there is no way the coupe is coming out in october and two, i highly doubt there will only be a 'minor' facelift.

i called my dealer today and they are not taking deposits until ferrari makes an official announcement on the car.

9. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    gotta love how ferrari makes so many variations off of one model line.

360-->360C-->360GT-->360CS-->360GTC-->360M(or whatever they'll cal it)

is there anyother ferrari model that has changed more times?

10. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    You forgot the 360 Spider :)

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    You have to remember that the car they are talking about is the 360 M not the replacement car. The car that will replace the 360 will have a 4.2 Flat Crank V8 with 5 Valves and should put out about 500bhp. The 360 M will probably be a Bored out 4.0 of the existing Engine. Remember when the 360 first came out a lot of People were stuffing them into guard rails this whole HP war is getting out of hand. Hp is great but balanced and useable HP is better. Frankly unless you are tracking a car I think that the 360CS is more than enough and that is my opinion. From what I have read although the Gallardo is quicker than a 360 the driving experience is not at the same level. Just my 2 cents. Allan Lambo don't flame me for this one.

12. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Here is another small article:

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000209834.cfm?x=a2qNShS,a1s2Vqs2

The Ferrari 360 replacement is evolution not revolution.

The fabulous Ferrari 360 Modena, which is due for some type of upgrade in late 2004 or early 2005 will be more an evolution of the current 2003 car, rather than a completely new machine. The Italians have resisted the urge to experiment (the late 348's contained some 355 systems, likewise the 355's experimental F1 box went into the 360's).

Although styling will be limited to new front and rear bumper changes, some side-skirt redesign, different alloy wheels and a slightly revised interior - the sheet metal work will probably remain untouched, something that cannot be said for the engine and gearbox.

Continental dealers tell me that a version of the 4.2-litre V8 motor in the Enzo is probably going into the 360, which insiders suggest may be renamed the 362M. Developing about 450bhp, the unit will propel the car from 0-60 in under 4 seconds and on to a top speed in excess of 200 mph (solely to match the Lamborghini's Gallardo and Porsche 911 Turbo). This will be coupled to a version of the Enzo's gearbox too, suggesting that Ferrari is introducing some serious F1 technology into their cars.

I have had it confirmed that a GTS version (removable roof panel, ala Magnum PI) will not be produced, not for any engineering reasons, simply because it doesn't't look good enough! Don't you just love Ferrari?

Expect prices to rise 1.5% in the process.

13. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Article said: "...a version of the 4.2-litre V8 motor in the Enzo ...".

I think it probably meant a 4.2 L V8 motor based on the V12 in the Enzo. Done by chopping off 4 cylinders?

It's all speculation until someone could name a specific source of information.

14. Avia1

Avia1 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    I had this discussion with a good friend this morning and here were his thoughts on Autospies news...

"If Geno thinks that an Enzo has a 4.2 l V-8 engine, then he doesn't have much credibility. Even if they were to chop four cylinders off the Enzo's 6 l V-12 engine, they would have a 4 l engine with a 65° V. Plus, what does 362M mean? Ferrari has never been consistent with its numbering, but it has always made some sense. 360 equals engine size, 355 equals 3.5 l, five valves per cylinder, 308 equals 3 l, 8 cylinders."

Fabio, the webmaster on the Ferrari.com website forum stated the following on Nov. 19, 2003,

"Our cars change often: the last 456 is very different from the firsts. We keep our models in production many years, but we apply many evolutions during the life-span. Easy changes are applied without notices, but bigger need a less easy evolution. This was the 575M, for instance, that have had the F1 gearbox and many more main changes, that market hasn't understood well.

I haven't heard any news of a new 8 cylinders: the 360 still sales very well, and we have had right now the Stradale for the "harder" customers. In next year we will have the great 612 (you can't believe how huge is it! You need to see it in person) and the fantastic Maserati codenamed "GT" (probably at Geneve) that probably will be on sale in 24 (yes, twenty-four) exemplars. It will be a racing horse, or better a 700-horses.

But the 360 has about four years, so possibly there will be some kind of 360M around 2005.

Ciao, F."

On another note, don't believe Autospies. It's becoming a joke. When it first started and it was pure information it was interesting, now every second line is them trying to sell you some **** service. These guys act like they know cars but they don't. They get half or more of their pictures from European and Japanese car mags that anybody can see in a good store. They've never worked in a dealership and don't understand the car business. The best one yet was when they said Cayenne values were dropping like stones not even pulling $40K used at auction. Then they sent you to two links, both Ebay. Hellooo! Ebay is not the auction!! Manheim had the cars trading hands from $45K-$50K for an 03 depending on color. Don't trust the Autospies!!

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ...and the Challenge Stradale... :)

16. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

The Challenge Stradale, I believe he listed it as the 360 CS. :)

Love that car :) :)

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oops, you're right; i missed that... Thanks... :)

18. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill

yup, thats what i meant by 360CS (challenge stradale)

so it looks like this new 360 revolution, replacement, whatever it is, is going to be more on par with the performance of the GT40. this makes more sense to compare these two cars since the GT40 isnt even in production yet, and the 360 platform has been around for a few years (circa 98 or 99?).

im excited to see this new design, and am curious to see what the exterior changed will look like. they improved the attitude of the CS, that means challenge stradale DES ;) , by making minor changes. so this next replacement should be sweet looking!

19. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

It will be interesting to see what effect the new 360 M will have on the just released 360 Stradale? If the new 360 comes out with 454 HP but more importantly a fatter torque curve :), and the price increase stays within the 2% to 3% of the existing MSRP of the 360 Modena, will the Stradale be hurt in resale values?

Here is another question: If any of you in the position where you were ordering a new 360 Stradale for delivery in March to June...would any of you hold off and wait for delivery of the new 360 M in the fall???