1/18 Mondial 3.2 - Custom Project | FerrariChat

1/18 Mondial 3.2 - Custom Project

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    While my new-to-me Mondial is being worked on by Bradan (see full work here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304038 ) I've decided to commission a model builder to replicate my vehicle. He's sent me pictures and updates, so I'm going to post what I have so everyone can see the process.

When I quote - it's Michael (the builder) who is speaking.

Hope you enjoy the progress.

Thanks,
    Erik

2. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #2 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "I was just commissioned by a customer to make a Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet. So with his permission I'll document and show you the progress on here. I have made a Mondial 8 before for my personal collection and I always wanted to make myself a 3.2 also, so this came as very pleasant order.
    Anyway. when I take on projects like this, I preffer to use the cheapest model available, because most detail (if not all) that makes it expensive is lost and then redone anyway. In this case however I had no choice but to purchase an Elite model to modify, as Mattel makes the 3.2 Mondial only in Elite. This is a curse and a blessing in the same time. It is a better model and it has a lot more detail. Also a lot of parts that are molded as one piece in the non Elite (Mondial 8 ) on this model are separate details and this would make things easier for me. On the other hand, there is considerably more work involved in modifying some parts because everything on the Elite is metal. The rear hood for example was a challenge to cut. The rear bumper is all metal and molded very thick. It would be way more difficult to cut, file and sand these pieces, compared to the plastic bumpers on the non Elite model I modded before.

So here is what I have done so far

I cut the roof off. This is the easy part. Then the windshield frame would have be "fine tuned" "
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #3 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
    "This is the engine hood, which would have to be covered in louvers from one end to the other, not just half way as on the coupe."

4. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #4 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
    "Here is what it is left from it. Just the frame and the heat shield. I am actually contemplating about removing the shield too and making my own, which would be more time consuming, but actually easier at the end (if this makes any sense to you)
    My jeweler saw was red hot at the end "

5. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #5 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
  6. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #6 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
  7. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #7 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
    "Basically on the model the exhausts sit a touch higher and the real car I am duplicating has no red markers and larger grill opening. So here is what I have removed"

8. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #8 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
    "* I should pretty much be done with the engine by tomorrow. The pictures I am sending you, show the original look of the engine bay and there is no work done to it on them. The entire fuel injection is made all over so it does not look like a V8 distributor anymore. Some hoses will be replaced and some added. I marked with yellow arrows where two hoses should come out of the plenum and those are the ones that I talked to you about before. I need to know what are they and where do they go from the plenum.
    ** The center console is started also. I should be done with the shifter tonight. I have not shown this on the photos, but the entire back end of the console, where it meets the rear seats need to be redone, as it it quite different on coupes and convertibles.
    *** the rear seats are started. However I need a nice picture of them in your car. I need to see the space between them. Pretty much a picture identical to the one of the model I am sending you, but of your 1:1 would be sufficient."

9. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    "For your shifter I decided on a slightly different approach. Nothing will be different above the surface, but underneath it is going to be a little more sophisticated and it even involves Vaseline for smooth action "

10. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #10 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
    "Here are some more updates on the engine. I had to make a completely new fuel injection unit, because mattel's interpretation was nowhere near the real thing. So I had to make a new cap , drill it, make the fuel delivery tubes and then I decided to make them look more realistic, so I added individual photo etched bolt heads. Metal braided lines were also added for the fuel supply and return lines. I think it turned out OK. also fitting the tubes through the photoetched separator drove me crazy, but I love it at the end.
    The model came with a lot of wires on the engine, but I scrapped everything and I am replacing them with more accurate ones. Like the red ignition wires.
    Your shifter is also ready, but I don't have pictures of it yet."

11. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #11 dailyferraridriver, Jan 10, 2011
    "I have started the grille for the rear bumper and the engine hood. On the attached pictures they are in rough shape, but I have to wait for them until they are rock solid before starting to handle them without worry. Then I will make the third braking light on the hood and shape the openings for the exhaust pipes. Next i am turning my attention to the body shell. Got to fix those side markers and the opening for the folded roof."

12. adonai87

adonai87 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Tenerife,Alicante
    Full Name:
    Adonai
    very nice job!

13. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    WOW!! Pretty darn cool stuff! What does a custom 1/18 scale model cost nowadays?

14. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    When all is said and done, $550-600.

Erik

15. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Not bad at all, especially to have the model look identical to your car. That is REALLY cool.

16. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #16 dailyferraridriver, Jan 12, 2011
    "I made the third brake light on the engine hood and the grille for the rear bumper is now complete. Both need some fine adjustments and sanding, before everything is disassembled and prepped for paint. Next is the "folded roof" and playing around with the side markers. also the model came with a photoetched grille, which I hate with a passion. I am experimenting with different ways, to make you a decent reproduction of the eggcrate grille that is on the 1:1"

17. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #17 dailyferraridriver, Jan 16, 2011
    "So let me explain. The original shift knob from Mattel was ridiculously beefy, so I used it for under the floor. not the console, but all the way on the bottom under the floor. I used the floor itself to carve a "bed" for the ball from the original shifter. then I drilled it to install the new shifter in it. the rod on the ball underneath fits in a specially built box. this is necessary in order to allow the shifter to move, but to stay firmly in place, without being able to rotate. "

18. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #18 dailyferraridriver, Jan 16, 2011
    "The boot on your car is ready. Well kind of. The frame and sculpting is done. Then after everything is painted and polished it will be covered with a boot made from cloth like the real thing. But the hardest part was the foundation that the final boot would have to cover and I am done with it. Woooohooooo! I am sending you a couple of pictures of the sculpted folded roof. Sorry, but I totally forgot to take more from the process of the frame underneath it.
    Now the only thing left for the body work are the side markers and egg crate grille for the front bumper. Then it is paint, which is quite the process. In a way it is considerably more complicated than a repaint on a real one. i like to use the waiting periods between coats to work on the interior. There is still a lot of work there."

19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Great project! If you want, I'd be glad to send you some of my photoetch parts to help you out. Just PM me your address.

Stephane
    Scaledetails

20. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    PM sent - thank you very much.

Erik

21. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #21 dailyferraridriver, Jan 31, 2011
  22. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #22 dailyferraridriver, Feb 1, 2011
    "I am sending you the progress of the center console. I would have never thought that such a little difference is going to be so much work. It is drying from paint right now. On the pictures the buttons for the rear windows and the ashtray (?) are not on it, because they are black and it is going to be easier and better to make them and paint them before I put them on."

23. Will

Will Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    very cool... I'm looking forward to seeing this

24. Scuderia Santo Luigi

Scuderia Santo Luigi Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2010
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Everything looks absolutely fantastic so far! I'm surprised Hot Wheels didn't release a convertible version already, although they tend to release various models over time, so it could be something they have in mind for the future.

At any rate, this is going to be a very special diecast, as I see you've taken great pains to ensure accuracy and detail. Excellent work!

If you or someone else could answer, does anyone know how difficult it is to remove and replace the wheels from one Hot Wheels Ferrari to another? I'd like to eventually replace my Mondial wheels with some from the 308. The Mondial is an excellent model and Hot Wheels did a great job, but the high-profile tires detract from the overall look, especially since my Mondial is displayed next to my black 308GTS, also by Hot Wheels. I'd also like to replace the boring wheels on my 599GTB and Scaglietti with Challenge wheels.

25. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thank you. The guy doing mine is replacing my Mondial wheels with those from a 308 as well, because my car has 308 style rims now. I'll ask him if he can point out how to or how difficult it is.

Thanks,
    Erik