LOOK who is parking next to me!!! | FerrariChat

LOOK who is parking next to me!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by patpong, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    #1 patpong, Sep 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My wife and I went out for a shopping at a Major shopping center in Bangkok in our Lotus Esprit. And we parked at the special parking spot, not at car park. After we finished shopping, to our surprise the Mercedes 300SL Gullwing just parked there next to ours...

wow...I still could not believe my eyes....It was really there. These things belong in a museum, not on a regular road where accident happens...WOW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Catondrugs likes this.
  2. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    That is a gorgeous car. both of course.

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, thats one of those moments when you write a quick note saying how much you admire the other person's car and put in on their windshield! Great looking shot of the two cars. One of those "old school classy" meets "new school sex bomb" types of pics:)

4. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    K.Patpong, did you ask the security guard to park there? I never bring my 512TR to that shopping mall because it is impossibly steep to get down to its underground parking lot. If they will let us park there, it would be a great help. The emporium usually let us into special spot, but I am not sure about this particular shopping mall.

By the way, nice Esprite...

I never saw the 300SL on the street before, this is something especially in Bangkok. I saw 300SL Roadster in a restoration shop near Bangkok once and 300SL Gullwing at the MB showroom many years ago. Lucky you!!! :)

5. Music Guy

Music Guy Rookie

Aug 24, 2004
    Sarasota, Florida
    That's like seeing a three-headed unicorn.

MG

6. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    Both are nice cars. It would have been great to spot a 300SL, but right next to your car! It's awesome.

I quit going there by car because they never allowed us to park where you did, regardless of how obviously troublesome a car can be if we are to park in the basement. How did you get them to let you park there? Maybe I'll use your trick next time.

7. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

Hi K.Pong,
    Yes the security guard never allow anyone to park there. But, Well if you happen to be a good friend with their boss anything is possible. My two most favorite spot to park in the middle of downtown Bangkok is here at Gaysorn and in front of Lido movie theatre, Siam Square. At Lido, you will see the Esprits and Ferrari. Those would be mine and my uncle's.
    Pat

8. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I know. I look and look and ready to believe that it was a replica, fake car, toy car. But no, mint condition, showroom shine. I hope it will turn up more.
    Pat

9. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    For the members that aren't Thai's, to get a special parking for your supercars in the middle of downtown Bangkok near major shopping centers is like finding a gold mine. Not only you don't have to go underground and park with all other cars but you, most likely have the security gauard watch over you car. Many of the supercar owners here just never bother to bring their car into the city.
    Pat

10. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

I think it is awesome that someone still drives that car and does not have it mothballed and rotting somewhere. Cars love to be driven. :)

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    One of my all time favs........ thanks for sharing.

12. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #12 tomw, Sep 7, 2004
  13. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I'd walk right past that Mercedes to look at your Lotus, don't be so modest.

14. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    At the Morgan Adams Concours, there was 4 Gullwings (1 racer, 2 "regular" 1 convertible)

I was speechless

15. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Staring at that Esprit has left me with 2 questions:
    how long has it remained in production unchanged?
    was it a Pininfarina design?

16. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    There's a couple of these in Napa. I see them driving around at least once a month. It's always a treat to see one on the road, they don't sound too bad either.

17. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    They are not so rear at the show or a museum but seeing them at the shopping center. The owner taking it out for a shopping is something else. I would just be blown away even more if I saw a Ferrari 250GTO at the super market parking lot.

18. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    #18 patpong, Sep 7, 2004
    The Esprit I have is 1993 model I had it since brand new. I have had it modified a little, mostly with exhaust system. It now can reach 100km/h in4.3s. and top speed of 295 km/h. I love it. It can be modified more with the powerchip and 5th gear conversion change to bring it to reach 100km/h in 4.0s. and top at 315 km/h.
    The design started with this Giugiaro Italian designer. Then it was revised by the British all the way. no Pininfarina.
    The Esprit are really under rated. I have it for 11 years now. They are as reliable as any other supercars. I heard many of my friends got more problems with the Porsche and Ferrari than my Lotus. And the Esprit is fast...and much cheaper to maintain.
    I have both the Lotus and Ferrari, 308 to be exact. The Lotus fullfilled the power of the supercar feeling I need and the top speed that no other cars at all in its price range dare to come close. The 308 fullfilled that supercar classic and the shape that remain sexy in years to come.

19. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    First question is 87-04. So what is that 17? That is for the current body style.

Second question is no. It was penned by an Englishman if I recall.

20. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    i second that one. i have not been a big mercedes guy ever, i really dont care for anything they produce, i could care less how rare it is. i love your esprit though...

21. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Thanks Doug and Raymond...

22. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Sooo....that's your cars at the Lido..ha ha ha. I have been wondering for a long long time krub; always see nice cars parked there and never see the owner.

Well, we don't know anybody at Gaysorn..ha ha, I guess I won't bring my f-car there then. The Emporium seems to be a bit more willing to accomodate super car owners krub.

Love the Esprite. We test drove it during 93-94 and nearly destroy the hand brake..ha ha...forgot to release it and wondered why the car was so slow. The warning light was located where I couldn't see it..ha ha ha. But I must admit, the handling was surreal for mid engine car at that time.

As for the gull wings, they might not be so rare, but for Thailand they are extremely hard to find, let alone seeing one on the street. Ohh...I just remember that I once saw 300SL gull wings at the house of ex-owner (or partner) of Foreign Car Italia in Greensboro. He told me it was Fangio's car!!!! At that time, he also had the 250SWB along with other classic F-cars in the same garage. I couldn't believe my eyes...ha ha

23. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    K. Pong,
    "Fangio's car!!!! At that time, he also had the 250SWB " Now I could not believe my ears. I saw many great classic cars in Bangkok. That I could never dream they exist here. Ferrari Daytona, 356GTC, Lambo Miura, AC Cobra... Seeing all these cars in the museum is great but seeing them in the flash among us on the street is so exciting.
    K. Pong are you a friend of Jin Thummawatana also. Because I am a good friend of his as well. We talked about getting together for a drive and never did one yet.
    Moo

24. CiaoItalia

CiaoItalia Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Justin Phillips
    I would have to say beautiful indeed! Nice picture as well.

25. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Thanks CiaoItalia,