Lambo vs. Ferrari for the 15th millionth time | FerrariChat

Lambo vs. Ferrari for the 15th millionth time

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LAfun2, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which would you pick?

1. 92 Diablo

2. 99 F355

3. Neither, since I can't follow directions, and I think Tiburon is a better car anways..

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #1 LAfun2, Aug 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    CAR 1

1992 Lamborghini Diablo, Red w/ Snowcorn interior, red interior piping, very clean car, rear spoiler, timing chain tensioner update just completed, Brand new Tires, you will not find a cleaner car than this, only 4,800 miles...$114,995

CAR 2

1999 Ferrari 355 Spider, Red/Black, 6 Speed, red stitching, Custom Exhaust, Red calipers, Cam Belt Service just completed, ONLY 15k miles....$109,995

*Lets pretend that both of these cars are US cars, to keep it simple.

1)So of these two cars which would you pick?

2)Why?

Both cars are pretty similarly priced. Both cars are for sale at Naples motorsports. Yeah I know the f355 is a spider, but this is the closest I can come up with.

Give your honest and educated opinion. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    That Diablo is tempting.....

3. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    The Lambo looks stunning but I would go with the spider! It is a newer car and has more recent technology than say a 92-model year. You probably get the same attention out of both cars but the spider is more drivable and easier to maneuver in traffic than the lambo. I don't own a 355 nor do I own a diablo but I would think the spider is more reliable as a daily driver.

4. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    hmm wow, the diablo has a clear sky background and the 355 has a cloudy background lol

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    ryan,

go w/ the 99 355
    my fear w/ the diablo is its age and the associated liability issues

6. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Daily driver??? I dont think any of these cars shold be driven as a daily driver.

7. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I don't mean a commuter car... most modern Ferraris are driven dailey. I do drive mine at least 3 or 4 times a week.

8. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow....

9. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

I second this. I love lambos but you are comparing an end of a model run with all the bugs out to a beginning of the Diablo run. I think the spider is a much more usable car. That being said I would trade mine in on an 01 6.0 in a minute if the right deal came along!

10. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'd say the 355, but I have one so I might be biased. I've driven the Diablo and it seems tight fitting esp. w/ the pedals and a lot of obstructed view. Drive them and see which one you like.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Vroom,

No worries. It would be basically driven on the weekends, and one or two days a week. That is not a big issue here.

Tom,

Let me fly to KS first :D

Jeff,

Personally I agree with the 6.0 se being a great car. However, if I did the comparo, everyone would yell about price difference, and blah blah blah. I don't personally like the 360, so its not an issue. I am sure some will say diablo vs. 512 and so forth. But for now, these are the realistic choices for this thread ;)

12. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    uh why not ? Not trying to start a flame or anything, just asking. I mean besides the maintenance cost, why should a car not be a daily driver ? Within reason of course, if I lived in L.A. and had freeway rush hour to deal with, maybe I would reconsider my beliefs but otherwise, I don't own a car that I would not make a daily driver. If I can't afford the normal maintenace costs that go along with a car being a daily driver, then I can't really afford that car and it belongs in someone elses garage. Unfortunately, I own too many cars for any one car to be a daily driver but I would drive that Lambo or 355 anytime (yes even rain) they were built to be driven were they not ?

I love the Lambo but I am a spider kind of guy so I would go for the spider. Never been in a 355 but I did find the Diablo too be kind of tight with very poor visibility. Also, try using one for some daily errands and after you get in and out of it 6 to 8 times in a few hours time around town, you wont like it anymore. As I said, never been in a 355 but I assume that would not be the case.

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  14. atheyg

atheyg Guest

It's not an equal comparison, the Diablo cost 2x what the 355 did when both were new.The Ferrari is priced high for a 355 and the Diablo is a little high also.

You need to compare 2 12 cylinder cars, that said a Ferrari is a better car and easier to maintain.

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

LOL.

Ok I know its not an equal comparison, but the price is pretty much in the ballpark. We are not comparing cars when are new, its a used buy. :)

There are no 12 cyl ferraris (imho) that compares to the diablo. The 550 is a gentlemans Ferrari (I love it), and the 512TR doesn't catch my eye that much (though I love wildwarriors old yellow one).

Diablo vs 512 might be the better comparison, but the 512 is not in this thread ;)

Mike,

Agree completely on the daily driveability post that you made. :) As far as comfort, that is not an issue. Before I got a ducati, people said, you can't ride it in traffic, you cant commute, blah blah. Hey its uncomfortable, my butt burns from the pipes, but the joys overcome the downside. :)

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I LOVE my 355ch road car..the sound...the look...total driver involvement from the moment I turn the key. The only time I've felt humbled in it, was one day when I pulled up next to a diablo with an aftermarket exhaust. I've never driven one so I can't comment on that, but as far as the road presence is concerned, diablo all the way.

17. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

How is this true? 355 has a belt to change every few years, Lambo uses a chain?

355 has a few problems that have been talked about here many times.

What were the problems with the 92 Diablo?

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You will look better picking up chicks at the disco - in the ?

The Diablo will (not) go down anymore in price. The 355 will lose a few pennies more. The maintainance will probably be less on the 355. It would probably (actual cost of ownership) be close in the end.

I never drove a 355. I heard it is one of the best street RE's.

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ralph,

How are you buddy? You and AJ, and now Tom are the real culprits. If you guys are active enough on this board, you might convert all the members to the dark side. :eek: :D

Well one doesn't get a car to get chicks, but I mean if that was the motivation, the bull would have to be it. :D

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Go get em Ryan.
    You already know what you want.
    After law school !!

Ciao.

21. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Have to pick the Spider because it's what I've wanted for years.
    I would love to have both. Drive and compare.

22. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    A 99 F car, and a 92 early Diablo. Well, since this is your choice, Im surprised the voting is this close to tell you the truth. With this comparison, and attracting attention and other things (chicks) are NOT important , if you want to be logical , you should go with the 7 year newer car. Im sure the maintenance on that car will be less, the gas mileage better(who keeps track). If you are in it for the grin factor and pennies dont matter, and if you want the car to stand out in a crowd , grab the BULL by the horns. It will depreciate less, cost more to maintain, but will give you what very few cars can, a thrill everytime you get behind the wheel.

Oh, I voted "the dark side". But its all good.

23. 288_GTO

288_GTO Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm not exactly an objective observer...considering I work @ Bay State Motorsports, Naples sister dealership...BUT.....I'd go with the Spider. The Diablo is a nice car, and truly one of the most exotic machines on the road (even after 12 years), but the Spider has a good deal of it's own "exoticness" and it is a Mercedes compared to an early years Diablo....practically no comparison......also, FYI, the guys @ Naples told me the Spider is "pristine"...

M.

24. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    This is a tough one, mostly because one is a spider, also what do you want to do with the car? I like torque laden motors, so the lambo suits me, but I loved the 355 in particular, so...its a toss up, cant lose, unless its an F1!!

25. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Maybe because a clutch change in a diablo or a countach is as expensive as a major service on a 355.