stradale sound check | FerrariChat

stradale sound check

Discussion in '360/430' started by wazza, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Fyi.

Had my Stadale sound checked today.

At 5600 RPM = 111 db

This was a static test done to MSA standard
    which is 2/3rd's of red line (8500 RPM)
    The MSA is the UK motorsport governing body.

I wonder what it would be at max revs
    or under duress out on the track ?
    Must be well above 120db would be my guess.

-Sweet music-

Well that might mess up one or two UK track days
    as some of the tracks here have limits set at 98db or 105db.

OOps!!!!!

Brain,
    I still need to find somewhere to get it weighed.
    Be patient. I'll get back to you.

Wazza

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wazza
    If you want to hear your children sing "Happy Birthday" to you make sure you wear earplugs if it's that loud in the cockpit.
    That's serious hearing damage territory.
    Best

3. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Napolis,

True, but a good excuse for ignoring the wife;)

Wazza

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I have seen cars get black flagged for exceeding a tracks max sound level.

5. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I wonder if they make Ferrari earplugs:)

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    This will be aproblem at a number of places, actually. Not the least of which is Laguna Seca (if you pepole want it quiet - DONT BUILD A HOUSE NEAR A RACETRACK!).

Thanks for the info...will need earplugs for sure.

--Dan

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yikes! That could be a huge problem... great track car, but illegal at most tracks! ;) :(

Where was the measurement taken?
    Most tracks measure from some particular distance (like 100ft) from the car... not right behind the exhaust pipe.

Note that the car magazines are not getting measurements anywhere near that high. I wonder if there's something wrong with yours? Yours seems to be louder than most. Got a hole in your exhaust system?? ;)

Wow.

8. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Wazza

Hate to add to your problems but most tracks in the UK measure at 3/4 max revs not 2/3 and .5m from exhaust. Dipping the clutch would help (if you had one!!!!!) and making sure the oil is hot but at those numbers you ain;t going anywhere but an Octagon track maybe Brands or Silverstone!

ps will you be at the meet on the 14th, not seen a Stradale in the flesh

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    We had 355's with Tubi and straight thru pipes sound tested at Goodwood couple of months ago and they were also off scale @ 110 db.....Joe's 360 just below @ 109.....

10. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    At least Donnington does not have any sound restrictions !

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    One time i got banned from an AutoX becasue the car i wsa running was 104dB (i think, either that or 109) and that was taken from the timing station, which was at least 100ft away from where i was. I did get the rest of my runs in though by hitting an electronic switch which routed the exhaust back through the muffler instead of being fully open, making it possible for me to win 2nd.
    So 111bD is extremely loud, and is against the law in alot if not all states.

12. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    How many miles do you have on your car?

I did some measurements too, which confirm your value. However I have now 1K miles on it and the car got increasingly louder starting with 800miles!

It starts now to get to a level that bugs me since 120db are a little bit off. I would post a sound file with high rpm runs - but the F-chat SW does not suuport that – need to find a place to host it – it is astonishing.

I am starting to wonder if there is a problem with the exhaust or by-pass valve because of the extreme temperatures.

One of the things you could do is to disable the by-pass valve for the sound measurements – the second pipe on each side would not open. Does not help you once you are on the track, but it would get you in. The procedure is simple – either block the vacuum lines or place a switch into the ECU control line.

13. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Brian- he does have a hole in his exhaust!

But Ferrari calles it a 'muffler' :)

The measurments here are behind the car, likely right infront of the tail pipes.

I would still expect 80-90db INSIDE the car, be careful, in the 90db range hearing damange can start to occur.

This is definately not a car for wimps, nor is it a muscled up 360. You have been warned.

Thomas- feel free to e-mail me, I have a large internet server in a dedicated datacenter.

Best!
    Ben.

14. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Brian,
    I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the car, so lets not even go there.

The test was done at Goodwood in the UK,

This was a static test done at a 45Deg angle from the exhaust outlet
    0.5m from the ground and car and at 2/3rd's max revs(5600RPM).

The noise levels at various distances for the UK workout at 12dB less 2.0 m and another 12dB less at 8.0m.
    So the if the track has a limit of 98dB at 0.5m then it's limit at 2.0m would be 86db and at 8m would be 74dB.
    A track with a limit of 105dB at 0.5m would have a limit at 2.0m of 93dB and at 8m would be 81dB.

I don't know what distantce from the car the magazine tests were done at but this would obviously make a differance.
    Do you have any way of finding out?

If you can find out I'll take the car back at and try a test from the same
    distance,revs,ets.

Mark,
    MSA reg's state 2/3rd max revs for a road car and 3/4 for a race car.
    See you on the 14th.

Thomas,
    sorry just read your post which seems to confirm my test levels.
    I've now done about 650miles and i've noticed that when you push the car aggressively above 6500RPM it does get considerably louder !!!!!.
    Impressive.

At this stage I would be uncomfortable with making any changes that may mess with my warranty but I take your point.

I've also noticed another thread where Matt talks about replacing his exhaust system with a Capritso one.
    I'm not sure why you would do that, sorry Matt, perhapse you could explain. I'not trying to be rude, I would just like to understand.

To me the exhaust system on the CS is just great, quite loaded enough,
    I wouldn't want it any loader and I wouldn't want it any quieter.
    Just right and has a good tone.

Also Matt,
    I would love to know a bit more about your choice of air filters.
    I havn't yet looked at mine. Maybe it's something I should consider.

Waaza

15. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    what is the db sound level on a regular 360 at 5600RPM?

16. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I never had my regular 360 checked out.
    I used to take it out quite often at the same curcuit(Goodwood).
    I was never a problem
    Never came close to their noise limit (98dB).

17. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

As Tony stated earlier on the thread, we had all our cars checked for a trackday at Goodwood in the UK, Tonys 355 Tubi no Cats was off the Scale/My 360 Tubi cats fitted off the scale/ Stock 360 with all stock exhaust was 100 db very muted over that of the Tubi fitted machines....

I imagine CS with Tubi would give same results as mine??? Or is the ECU upgraded on the CS for increased power??

18. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    >>The noise levels at various distances for the UK workout at 12dB less 2.0 m and another 12dB less at 8.0m.

rule of thumb is a drop of 6db if you double distance

>I don't know what distantce from the car the magazine tests were done at but this would obviously make a differance.

standing - 0.5meter - 49degree angle - same height as exaust
    drive by - 7m distance - start 10m before and end 10m after

19. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
  20. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I finally figured it out!

The Stradale “Race” mode controls the by-pass valve! – how stupid to not correlate this right from the beginning – now it is clear why all my measurements are all over the map an I perceived that the car got progressively louder after 800miles – I started to use the race mode at that point

The exhaust note changes completely accelerating from ~ 4000 rpm with / without race mode engaged – you even can play with this in-flight – the exhaust note switches from loud to very loud ( race mode ).

That explains a lot of things – how cool a feature

21. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Thanks Thomas

I'll have to give this ago.

I havn't used "race mode" yet but something still seems to happen above 6000/65000 it's as if something has opened up to blast a whole heep of noise out the rear.

Very impressive.

Wazza

22. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    oh - I am not saying that the valve does not open in normal mode - in race mode it opens at around 4K+ rev, i.e. earlier (not even sure if it is not load dependent; that would make much more sense to me) - however I am happy now since I have control over when I pollute the environment with noise - best of both worlds for me

23. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    The car didn't seem so loud inside when I was watching the video with Dario driving it around. Well he probably wasn't pushing it so he could speak and be heard.

I did see Ferrari earplugs actually. While watching one of the clips of the 2003 Gumball3000 I saw the guys driving the F50 Barchetta with hearing protection. They had the cavallino on it. Maybe it was a sticker, but it looked alright. It's either that or you wear a helmet.

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Trust me, 'Napolis is right... again.

Sensorineural or "nerve" hearing loss involves damage to the inner ear. It can be caused by aging, prenatal and birth-related problems, viral and bacterial infections, genetics, trauma (such as a severe blow to the head), exposure to loud noises, the use of certain drugs, or fluid buildup or a benign tumor in the inner ear. Sensorineural hearing loss usually can't be repaired surgically; it's usually corrected with a hearing aid.

This is not [self]pity - this is fact:
    I have an 85+% loss in both ears - from birth (Rubella epidemic in 1960, during gestation). If you've ever visited a hearing professional, you may have noticed a sign that reads "Silence isn't golden... it's lonely."

Right this moment, TV is 6 feet away on normal volume as fiancee enjoys Nicole Kidman's best performance (IMHO) "To Die For." I'm wearing no aid & can't hear a damn thing. If the phone rings - though it's only 3 feet away on opposite side, I won't hear it.

Now, though my Mother did her best to stay away from anyone who was ill, she still got Rubella (she knows who from, though she won't say who - but states privately that person was ignorant to go anywhere near a pregnant woman). What's the point? By the same token, one must not be ignorant of sealing their own fate. I don't want anyone to not hear. So... at the very least, wear plugs. If you end up wearing hearing aids and going to the track, don't pocket the aids, as the noise will harm the equipment. So, when you get out - you'll need someone to hand them to you - unless you prefer crappy hearing aids amplifying [crappy] kids singing a [crappy] version of "Crappy Birthday" into crappy ears.

By the way - visit a hearing pro - the test is free & if the receptionist is anything like the one I go to... she's hot.

25. xpresso

xpresso Karting

May 9, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Who needs a radio when you can hear the music from the exhaust of a 360 CS.

I had concern before I got my CS about the fact that I was paying a lot of greenbacks for a car without a radio...I WAS WRONG...THE CS is a rush and the radio is just an afterthought for those who get bored of driving their usual cars

If I want to hear music...I'll get into my 911 and turn on some tunes.