Diary of a 308 owner.... | FerrariChat

Diary of a 308 owner....

Discussion in '308/328' started by RAMMER, Aug 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #1 RAMMER, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I will post a few pictures of a routine drive through the streets of Miami.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  4. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    #4 lightning, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    You may not have any winding roads in Miami, but you do have one thing....SUNSHINE!
    It's rained every day for the last month where I live in the UK. Today is only the second time in a month I have been able to get the Ferrari out. I'd love to wake up to warm sunshine and not pi**ing rain every single day.
    Would you believe it though, there's hosepipe ban in place at the moment, as the resevoirs are empty due to the "wrong kind of rain" falling.
    Bet they don't have that problem with the Hoover Dam.

Anyway, must go....the Mondial is parked on the drive and it's just started to rain.

5. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I used to live in Miami, and had a Lotus Esprit while there. I so enjoyed driving through Bal Harbour, up and down A1A/Collins, over the causeways, to Key Biscayne, etc. The beauty of the surroundings (and the occasional curve) made up for the lack of twisties. :)

6. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #6 RAMMER, Aug 14, 2010
    It had been a few weeks but my car always starts well. I take a few minutes to warm her up, get the brakes warm (I highly recommend fedoro brake pads). The weather is warm as hell but my AC is up to the task.....at night. We head for Kendall Drive, 88 th street.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Thanks. I struggled with the tag. I wanted "glass gtb" but to many letters. I also liked "glass b". What I like the most is that only connoisseurs like you will know what the tag means Dr.!

8. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Rain does stink but don't forget we also have the intense heat. I start sweating in the time it takes me to start the car but I admit that rain is far worse.

9. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #9 RAMMER, Aug 14, 2010
    Even after several years of owning the car it is fun to visit well lit gas stations. The GTB is a stunning looking car in my opinion and I find myself looking at it every time.

It also draws a lot of attention. If you look around you....one will find others staring. I try not to even look at people as I don't want others thinking I am getting pleasure based on their attention. I don't particularly like all the attention as it is embarrassing to me. It’s like being with a really hot chick that is stunning, wears skimpy clothing, and refuses to wear a bra and underwear.

The great thing is that unlike the hot chick, my gtb never gets off on the attention and she will never leave you for a rich guy! (Unless I decide to sell and that will never happen!)

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    The street pics evoke Miami Vice!

11. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I can feel it coming in the air tonight.......

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Astute observations throughout & of course, those conditions are best quick-stop place to find imperfections, as well.

Not that I did.

In fact, the subject of the second pic immediately made my eyebrows and lips involuntarily tremble . . . like a hot chick would.

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    " don't particularly like all the attention as it is embarrassing to me."

Uh...taking pictures of it at a gas station makes me think thou dost protest too much! :)

14. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Don't think I wasn't thinking about that when I took the pictures. I was as quick and discreet as possible.

15. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Imperfections? I guess all of us know our cars imperfections and are a little bothered by them. Are we also insecure like hot chicks?

16. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice watches!

17. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Thank you. Its a modest collection (four watches) that I have bought over the last 16 years. By 2022 I will have a watch to wear every day of the week. Like everything I purchase, I research everything carefully. I only buy when the price is right and watches that are I love and consider classic. I don't get into all the fads like the monster size watches of today. I remember years ago when a friend would make fun of my 5513 Rolex Submariner because it had no date and the big plastic crystal. I bought the watch for $1200 bucks. I could have updated it with a saphire crystal but refused. Now it is cool to have the old subs. I know I can put it on ebay today (no reserve) and get a good return on my investment. It is the same with every watch I have bought. This increase in their values makes me feel better about spending that much money on a little piece of metal. Mind you, I will never sell them.

Its the same story with the GTB. Its a glass car I bought for $25k 4-5 years ago. Its not like buying a new Corvette for $50k that will decrease to $18k in five years.

You gotta do what you have to do!

18. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Cool pics! You are right your car looks awesome!

19. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Agreed! People almost always forget to factor in depreciation in their cost of ownership.

20. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Thank you. They are beautiful and rather inexpensive for what you get.

21. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    It is fair to say that I probably would use a new Corvette more than I use the 308 but still the depreciation is just massive! I guess for some seing $30k go away is not a big deal but it is for me.

22. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1

Your car looks fantastic, and definitely inspired some 308 dreaming on this end of the intertubes.

23. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I know I was inspired by cetain threads on FCHAT prior to buying my car (careaper always had inspirational threads). All I can say is that you will not regret buying a 308! I was as scared as anyone of buying a Ferrari but in time you realize that in many ways it is just a car. In other ways it is much more than just a car....

I will post more pictures soon but I need to spend some time with the wifey!

24. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #24 RAMMER, Aug 16, 2010
    90% of my drives revolve around Barnes and Noble. I love to pick up my favorite magazines every couple of weeks. I am talking about Octane, Forza, Cavallino, and all those other euro mags that have similar names. Nothing like seing a magazine cover with a Daytona driver quality on it. It allows me to dream! The Daytona is my favorite barely attainable Ferrari. Should I loose say my hand in a serious accident I would use the law suit money to get a Daytona!

25. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Nice thread Rammer..

It's just something about an old 308. I had considered selling mine a time or to based on the infrequency of use. However, every time I go for the keys, like you.. I step back and take a look and think.. this girl ain’t going nowhere!