Enzo w/o VIN??? | FerrariChat

Enzo w/o VIN???

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by RotKopf, Aug 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RotKopf

RotKopf Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    I was in Germany last week and spotted a red Enzo with black interior parked at a car show in Baden-Wurttemberg. I decided to have a look at the VIN, as it is sometimes very interesting to keep track of certain cars when they appear and then re-appear years later.

Interesting -- there was NO VIN on this particular Enzo, where you expect to see it! And I know Enzo's have the VIN posted, because I've recorded it on several other Enzo's I've seen in the USA.

So, does anybody have any ideas what's going on with this particular car? I know it's not a "fake" because I also saw under the hood, and the V-12 that I saw (and later heard!) is certainly 100% Ferrari.

The only number I could find on the car was a number that was stamped into a metal tag located under the hood, on the carbon fiber chasis.

Any ideas anyone???

Thanks.

2. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Maybe someone covered that particular VIN because they do not want their car "tracked" ? Some people are paranoid.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had a Ferrari rep tell me something interesting at a car show once, as I looked at an Enzo.

I quizzed him if the particular car was already "sold" and belonged to someone, as they all were in the numbered 399 of 399.

He grinned and said, "This car belongs to the Factory,.......it's #402."

They obviously had to make enough for crash testing for DOT Certification, so this answer made sense to me...VIN numbers only went on the ones registered to the public.....

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Just to let you know, here are other areas to locate the vin.

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Thats really interesting.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yes... If it's a Euro car, there's no VIN behind the steering wheel on the steering column... Is that where you were looking...? Did you look on the door jamb...?

US cars are required to have a visible VIN; usually they can be found on the steering column, behind the steering wheel or, as is being done witht he Scaglietti, at the foot of the dash...

Serial number/VIN spotting is tremendously difficult in Europe...

7. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Well, theres your answer....

8. RotKopf

RotKopf Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    Yes, it certainly was a Euro car.

Here is where I looked:

1) Along all edge of the dash, including at the base of the windshield on the driver's side;
    2) Inside both door jambs (driver and passenger side);
    3) All around the steering column;
    4) All along the cowl area under the hood;
    5) Basically EVERYWHERE under the hood.

I only found one number on the whole car, and it's not a VIN. Its something like a 5 digit number stamped on a steel tag attached directly to the carbon fiber chasis. That's it. The way I was looking at that car, somebody must have thought I was a bomb-sniffing dog or something! I looked EVERYWHERE.

Along the lines of what Speedy308 says.... I was at the SEMA Show 2 years ago when Bridgestone had an Enzo in their exhibit. I looked for a VIN on that car as well, and could find none. The Bridgestone guy noticed my efforts, and walked over and we chatted. He told me this was a "pre-production" Enzo and did not HAVE a VIN.

Well this gets even more confusing, because the car I saw in Baden-Wurttemberg Germany had plates on it, but no VIN. So if it were a "pre-production" Enzo without a VIN, I can't imagine being able to register a car for road use if it does not have a VIN. That would be sort of like trying to register a 360 Challenge car for road use... it can't happen.

Ergo, my confusion regarding this situation.

9. RotKopf

RotKopf Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    #9 RotKopf, Aug 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I highly doubt its a pre-production car that doesn't have a vin. The pre-production F50's did have VIN's although it all could have changed now...

11. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @RotKopf,
    I`m living in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
    Where (city, event, dealer) have you seen the car?
    Can you PM we the licence plate/registration number?
    And by the way; there are some road registered & legal (!) 348, 360 challenge (ex-race ) cars on the road in Germany.

Wolfgang

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Hi,

VIN spotting is indeed very difficult on an Enzo. The picture posted above with all the places to look forgot to mention a not so obvious one: on the passenger side against the wheelwell is a small plaquette in honor of the F1 championship victories. On the bottom of this plaquette is the serial number (last 6 digits of the VIN). The 5 digit plate in the engine bay you took a picture of is the assembly number. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is something like the PF job numbers (thus for the body). All modern cars have them (look for example under the bonnet of a Maranello and you'll find it at the front somewhere).

Ciao, Peter

13. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    that pic is from the official owners manual

14. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    The pic of the owners manual was for US Enzo's!

The European Enzo's have indeed no VIN in the front windscreen, neither on the steering wheel column. This is probably because to many people write down the VIN's. Easiest way to identify a european Enzo is by the assembly number.

15. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The same thing happens here in the US. It's all too easy to get the owners info. Either by Vin# or plate, all thanks to the WORLD WIDE WEB.

I've had a soccer mom in SUV's last week almost run me over & ram me while she was talking on her cell phone, I wrote on plate number down then did a search. It turned out to be a friend of my families, go figure.

16. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    One more thing to add, would this also be the same on Euro 360's? No dashplate or plate on the steering column? I only know of one in Dallas.

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    An assembly number is good enough...! :)

We don't have a VIN matching that assembly number, but it's only a matter of time before someone will come up with a VIN - or at least a serial number - matching that assembly number... Thanks for posting it... :)

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Will, yes; so far as i know, NO Euro Ferrari (or any other Euro car for that matter) is required to have a visible VIN... So if you can't find one, it's probably a Euro car... :)

19. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Enless it was brought to the US and converted?

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    But then it would be up to US spec (emmissions, mph, proper signals, etc.), which would include a VIN plate behind the steering wheel on the steering column or at the foot of the windshield, usually on the driver's side, thus making it US spec car... :)

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ok, here's what i've learned since the last time i posted - and some of you wonder why i spend so much time in the office... :)

The only way to get the VIN from a Euro NNO is open the passenger's side door and move the passenger's side seat all the way forward. On the floor, behind the seat, once it's been moved up, you'll see a serial number. However, if you have a flashlight, you can shine it through the rear engine bay window at a specific angle and you might be able to see it...

22. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Do they pull the vin #'s out of their anal cavities?

23. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    How do you do that??? I thought information like that was private..is it through the DMV or something??? Interesting, what did it tell you about that person?

24. RotKopf

RotKopf Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    Thanks NNO! I am going to be in Germany again next month, and hopefully I will see this car again. I will check behind the passenger seat and report back with the VIN!

25. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, Rotkopf; i await your report... :)