1984 BB512 | FerrariChat

1984 BB512

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by John Dillinger, Aug 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Dillinger

John Dillinger Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Clearwater Florida
    Both front fans arent running - does anyone have a wiring dia for this model so i can trouble shoot ?

or a lay out of the fuse panel ?

thanks

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The first place to look is the fuse box. It is common for the fan circuit to get hot and melt the connections disabiling the fans. If that is the case on your car, be sure you have all the connections soldered on the new fuse box before you install it. That will not only prevent it from happening again but also make all the electrical systems run better due to increased amperage through the circuits. It its not the fuse box, next look at the temp sensor which is located at the left bottom of the radiator. You can bypass that circuit at the fusebox to see if the fans then run. If it turns out to be that sensor, it is a real ***** to get to. You either have to remove the front bumper cover or the radiator itself. If you need to replace the sensor, I recommend you substitute one from a mid-70s VW Rabbit which turns the fans on about 5 degrees sooner and really helps keep the engine cooler if you live in a hot climate. By the way, they only made BB512i in 1984, not BB512s.

3. John Dillinger

John Dillinger Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Clearwater Florida
    fuse box is under the passenger's foot area - correct ?

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hi John,

I have a carbed BB512 but I think things are close enough to your injected car to comment.

The fuses are in the glove compartment box. The relays are in the passenger footwell.

I read Frank's comments and agree.

Make sure the water temperature is high enough for the fans to kick on. On your car that should be somewhere between 80 to 90deg C. If the temp is not high enough the fans are not suppose to kick on.

The first thing I would do is trun the key to the "keeper" position. You should hear the fuel pumps run and the whine from the Dinoplexs. Reach down to the bottom left front of the radiator. There you will find the temp sensor that causes the fans to go on. It has two leads running into it. I can get to mine fairly easily but don't know about an injected car. Take a wire or screwdriver and short between the two leads to connect them. The fans should go on.

If they do then you may have a temp sensor issue. If not, time to go hunting in the fuse and relay pannels.

But remember the car has to be hot enough to kick on the fans.

5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    John,

Here's the fusebox layout for all the injected Boxers. With the ignition key turned on to "accessories", hook up a power tester and you should have power at the top side of fuses 16, 17 and 18. (Note: The car does -not- need to be hot to do this test. These fuses should have power whenever the key is on.)

Fuse 16 is for the center fan, 17- right side fan and 18-left side fan.

If you do not have power at -ALL THREE- of those fuses, you probably have a problem with the fusebox's riveted metal connectors. There is a metal connection bar that runs across the top on the rear side of the fusebox that connects 16,17 and 18 all together (at the top only). Also check/clean the wire plug in connectors that go to those fuses.

Good luck!

6. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Try the glove compartment

7. John Dillinger

John Dillinger Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Clearwater Florida
    thanks guys - this site has always been a huge help

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Remember that only one fan (RH) runs with the AC turned on, you need to know whether the thermo switch for the water temp is tripped in or not. If you are not sure, bridge the switch yourself and then see if both fans are working.