new version of nigerian scam??? | FerrariChat

new version of nigerian scam???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ashsimmonds, Aug 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    hey ebay-heads, i've been noticing some "interesting" cars listed cheaply on ebay lately, and whilst wishing to ignore such obvious bollocks attempts, i've put a few in my watchlist.

usually within a day or so, the auction disappears, and i figger i was right. this has happened four or five times over the last few weeks, now here's the latest one.

yesterday i saw a dodge viper RT10 listed for $10,000au buy it now price. i knew there was something dodgey ( :) ) going on coz these cars are on the market for $130-170k here. so i put it on my watchlist, but this time actually contacted the seller for further information.

now, tell me if this response doesn't smack of nigeria...
    car was listed as being in sydney in the original auction... just a little down the road from paris. :)

2. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did he say what scale it was??? 1/18th????????

3. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    one of the pics listed... the other's looked good... oh, one other thing i remember is that the auction mentioned it was a 5.7L V8, whereas i thought vipers had somewhere around 8L in 'em. 5.7L sounds like an LS1.

i saved this one as i was getting the plate traced to see if it was rego'd here. guess not then.

4. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can tell you now that is a replica. That car would have been made up in queensland. Its got a Chev GenIII V8 in it. Its based on tube stell chassis. Basically, theres no testing done on those things and they are known to be very dangerous. Its probably worth the $10,000. Actually, maybe not.........

Stay away from that. Its another case of stating a replica is the real thing. Much like Turbo FWD lancers being sold as "Evo's"............

5. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    actually, i recall mention of corvette, so it would be a viper kit on a 'vette. still, for $10k, i'm spending that on my 1608cc engine alone. :( oh, and as it says in the reply, it's in paris, if it exists at all.

wot? do people actually try and pass them off as evo's because they have "evolution" stickered down the side? my god, those cars share the bottom rung with hyundai excels, not just because they're a crap car, but because they're the most commonly riced around here. there's a white lancer across the street from me with a big spoiler and massive "ralliart" adornments. bleughch.

i've even recently seen a black FTO with a 360CS style GT stripe... actually, i didn't mind the look of that thing, one of the better FWD cars around i guess.

6. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah FTO's arnt bad. But they still cant match a Integra Type R.
    Yeah there are heaps of turbo Lancers being passed of as Evo's. I remember one in Unique cars, and they wanted $40K for it. Imagine......Turbo in a car designed to take a N/A 1.6L........Power Understeer anyone???

7. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    $40k? that's nuts. for $40k i'd be getting a lotus esprit, not some jap crap.

8. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    how'd you know that?

i had it checked out and apparently it's a 2001 model "Custom Built Roadster", and in queensland.

9. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    these things are coming up a lot more lately, even on the more reputable sites like drive.com.au, as i've gone to the trouble to ask the "seller" whenever i see an interesting deal come up, and everytime so far it's been overseas, with the seller somewhere mentioning they can get cheap freight...

latest:
    the car... a $10k porsche "other"...

10. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ummm, the new Lotus uses 'jap crap' engine and tranny.

With apologies, i highly respect the honerable Japanese.

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    wow, and not to mention, the Lotus exchange with the Impulse. They traded a handling package for a powerplant in the Elan. Oh, and the new Elise, let's see... what motor does it have for the US market? Oh, a reliably powerful 190horse four cyl. made by Toyota. That will be a rock solid motor you won't have to worry about.

12. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Huhm... if those wheels are brand name, they cost damn-near 10k. ;) (think TechArt)

13. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    erm, my mention was of Esprit, not Elise.

i'm not sure whether you get them in the US, but if you knew what a mitubishi lancer (not evo) was you'd know "jap crap" was an appropriate statement... well maybe, considering the car was possibly built right here in adelaide. :) we are RHD and get A LOT (yes, a frickin crapload) of bad japanese cars that are likely not otherwise werth converting to LHD.

anywho, as to the heritage of the new US spec elise, i was very critical of it also, considering australia has had the elise for close to a decade and i drool over them constantly... they are in fact, the most common "sports car" on the road in my city, i see a couple per week, compared to say 1 ferrari per month, and 2 lambo's per year.

as to criticism aimed at the engine/drivetrain, i've done enough research since seeing what they're shoving into it for the americans to be able to drive it to approve the standard of the vehicle. :)

14. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    another one... this time a 2004 model 350Z...

15. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    another one's just popped up: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18290&item=2491982111&rd=1

this time it's an MR Spyder, buy it now for $6300. (normally retails $35-45k)

might as well email the loser and see if it's the same story... overseas, ship immediately, have connections in shipping industry so cheap shipping, don't have to worry, need your info... etc. :)

16. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    actually, i'm gonna have a look around aussie sites to see if it's currently listed (i contacted the ACTUAL owner of the 'vette/viper from earlier, he wasn't happy about someone else trying to scam off his car...).

17. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    found it. :)

the REAL ad

sent a message to the real owner.

i just don't understand how sad people are.

18. barranr

barranr Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Herndon VA
    Full Name:
    Rod Barrand
    I had one with the exact same email on saturday. It was a 1 day auction for a 02 boxter for 7K

19. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i smell another....

now a boss mustang is a nice car, but scam-bait? puh-leeze.

i noticed on the ebay ad mentions of square-trade and carfax, which means the scammer is obviously not australian or even TRYING to pretend he's an aussie as we don't give a toss about whoever those supposed organizations are.

i mean, we're pretty stupid in general, but mate, the one thing you won't outsmart an aussie on is a car. if someone buys this car without having seen it personally, the scammer almost deserves the money.

let me see if i can find the REAL ad...

20. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    in as many as 3 clicks and 2 searches for the original owner i got so many poop-ups and redirections at the site it was (probably) listed at, that i gave up.

i almost believe that if the owner would advertise on a site like that they deserve all the grief they get.

:(

21. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    oooh another one. (getting tired yet?)

this time a 2001 alfa...

does that Buy with Confidence mean anything?

sigh. humanity sickens me.

even i'm getting sick of it, i can't see a page of cars without spotting a scam anymore. pretty soon i'll stop reporting them as they become the rule instead of the exception.

still, i'll try and find the owner of this car and let them know the deal, not that i expect to hear back as with the others...

sigh.

22. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    here 'tis.

http://www.carsonline.com.au/1227.html

well, yep, that's it all right.

23. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    aaaaah CRAP. :(

it's just too common now.

i haven't scrolled down half a page of ebay car ads and there's another one.

i wonder if i have the balls to stop looking at ebay for cars... it's just so sad, yet i cannot turn away.

oh, yeah, the next one, an S2000...

note the shortcut in the email address... hmmm.

well, is it werthwhile to continue reporting this stuff?

or should i just consider this to be the norm nowadays?

oh well, sigh.

24. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    oh, the original ad if you're following this bollocks. :)

25. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    This is getting to be a common scam on eBay.

When we were looking for a travel trailer I would keep an eye on the eBay auctions. One auction caught my eye due to the very low Buy-it-now price. I e-mailed the person about it, asking about condition and everything, as I figured something had to be wrong with it. I received an e-mail back that looked very similar to the ones that have been posted here........... including the backing by Square Trade, and all of the information about the trailer being shipped to the US. Upon investigating the Square Trade website, I found out that certain logos would appear in the auction if the transaction was truly backed by Square Trade. This auction had none. Also, some of the pictures looked familiar............ and I researched it some more and found they had been taken from another auction. Upon checking the feedback (was 13 I believe), I found that all the feedback were from purchases of less than $2.00 (cheap feedback).

When I notified eBay, the auction was pulled within hours. The person actual had the balls to e-mail me back and still get me to buy the trailer.

Amazing !!!