New "Superamerica" to be unveiled at the Pebble Beach 2010 | FerrariChat

New "Superamerica" to be unveiled at the Pebble Beach 2010

Discussion in '612/599' started by michal12, Jun 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    AUTOCAR today:

Ferrari is set to launch an open-top 599 in August at the Pebble Beach concourse in California.
    Described by Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo as a ‘roadster’, the new car will be sold in limited numbers in the same vein as the company’s previous open-top V12, the 575 Superamerica launched in 2005 with a folding-metal roof and a 25bhp power hike over the standard model to counteract its extra weight.
    It’s not yet known whether the open 599 will have a similar roof or more grunt, but di Montezemolo told Autocar that it’s unlikey to have the Superamerica monicker. "It will have an emotional, romantic name such as Italia or Fiorano," he admitted.
    He also confirmed that the new car would not be shown at a traditional motorshow. Instead prospective customers will get a private viewing of the car at Ferrari’s HQ in Maranello.
    The company is also known to be putting the finishing touches to a Spider version of the new 458 Italia which is expected next year. However anyone expecting a hardcore Scuderia version of the 458 is going to have to wait a while longer, according to Ferrari’s boss.
    "We have no intention to do Scuderia version of the 458 yet. It would be difficult to do it better," said di Montezemolo.
    Further into the future he also admitted that a replacement for the four-seat 612 Scaglietti is being planned. "We’ve always had clients for such a car and we want to maintain a V12 2 + 2. So we are thinking of something for the future," he said.

Great, great news. Looking forward to this even more than to the GTO.

2. Ferrari Fan Holland

Ferrari Fan Holland Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gorinchem
    Full Name:
    AnthonyR
    I can't wait to see it! :D

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    This is an interesting comment considering the 599 GTO has been called the last V12 Ferrari>

Further into the future he also admitted that a replacement for the four-seat 612 Scaglietti is being planned. "We’ve always had clients for such a car and we want to maintain a V12 2 + 2. So we are thinking of something for the future," he said.

It would be ironic if you could only get the V12 anymore in a 2+2 model....
    CH

4. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    #4 M-individual, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #5 of2worlds, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Great spot there! It has the gray roof like the GTO models running around but not the crease in the centre of the hood and HGTE wheels. Mirrors are body color to. Cut line at the top of the windshield post means it will be metal roof like the California? I wonder if Nicolas has a rear view of that particular 599 that he didn't include.
    Sort of hiding in plain sight if you know where to look!
    CH

6. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Fair play, I never would have noticed that!

Thanks for sharing :)

7. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    I was thinking the same thing. The back end may show more interesting details.

You're welcomed ;)

8. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

As Dick Enberg would say . . . OH MY!

Looks like that will be my next car.

9. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Not sure where that quote came from - but the GTO product engineer told me the 599 replacement would definitely be a V12 - possibly smaller capacity turbocharged. The same comment was made by another Ferrari spokesperson and the Ferrari section of the Fiat Investor presentation (available elsewhere on F-Chat) clearly pointed to a 612 replacement early next year.

So no new news here really.

Soft-top 599 - boy they really are milking the end of this model - clearly no demand at all for standard 599s. The pic looks like the car has a GTO front bumper.

10. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    Was thinking the same. Now to really milk it would be to do a 16M on the 599... a GTO drop top (limited edition of a limited edition) once everyone has bought the limited edition.

11. XTP

XTP Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Xander
    At the same internetpage (http://arthomobiles.fr/MM2010/MMD2.htm) there is a 599 with no badge's on it (below the Gallardo Spider).

I thought that it has a very sharp angle in the C-pilar. The same as the yellow one from april 2009 with the pipes next to its numberplate. Maybe its the angle of the picture.

It also has mirrors of the 612.

What are your thoughts.

Xander

12. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    I noticed the different mirrors and different shaped C-pillar as well but if you look close, the area behind the driver and passenger seems to be perfectly normal. Don't think this one has anything to do with the "SA" version.

13. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Just heard from my dealer it will be called a "GTS"

14. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Man, you are VERY GOOD. Great eye.

15. bonneau13

bonneau13 Karting

Oct 18, 2009
    California
    Looks like the "iceman" was right again.

16. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i heard similar, but a GTO spyder, 99 will be made.

17. mr.modena

mr.modena Formula 3

Nov 6, 2003
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Jaroslav Hanus
  18. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Is this confirmed?

19. loan1at

loan1at Karting

Feb 8, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Andy L.
    Interesting that you "spotted" this hours after i posted my opinion on this pics in supercarfrance.com the same day!

20. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Then we both must have an eye for detail ;). I'm not reading the forum you refer to but if you want the award for "first one to have noticed this and posted this on the net" ... it's all yours :)

Cheers,

M

21. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #21 ryankjb, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    It kinda looks like the soft top is up underneath of the hard top camo in those pics.

And a 599 GTO convertible might take over the F50's spot of my all time favorite Ferraris.

22. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think its just going to be a 599 convertible, no GTO.

Steve

23. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #23 Peloton25, Jun 15, 2010
    The AutoExpress newsletter arrived via email today with a small thrumbnail and caption:

Attempts to click on the link to the story and see more just lead to the main page of their website which leads me to believe they may have accidentally blown the embargo and then pulled it back or something.

Anyway - here is the thumbnail looking much like Ferrari's style of unveiling press photos, though I suppose given AutoExpress' track record that they could have just gotten creative with Photoshop using a 599 GTB and an original Superamerica photo to piece together their best guess.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #24 Peloton25, Jun 17, 2010
    AutoExpress has resolved their issues and here's what they have to say about the open top 599 and future Ferrari powerplants:

The photo is a rendering as I earlier suspected, but here it is in a much larger format.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    Put the steering wheel on the right side and it looks nice!