My Zaino vs. NXT Tech Wax Results (Rosso Nero 348) | FerrariChat

My Zaino vs. NXT Tech Wax Results (Rosso Nero 348)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ricambi America, Aug 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The "Carolinas" crew will readily acknowledge that I'm pretty sick about having a perfectly detailed car. Don't get me wrong -- I drive hard, I drive often, I love tearing things apart on the car. But at the same time, I baby the paint and appearance like it's a total garage queen. So, I get the best of both possible worlds.

Folks might remember my discovery of Meguires NXT Tech Wax about 2 months ago when I was prepping for a local FCA event. Prior to the NXT, I had been through "monogamous, long term relationships" with Meguires Gold Class, Griot's Best in Show, and Zymol Cleaner Wax. Then, I found the NXT Tech Wax at my local Pep Boys. Simply put, it was the best wax I had ever used on any black car (and I've waxed a lot of cars over the years!).

Fast forward to yesterday. Two local clubs organized a Zaino seminar with our local distributor. The plan was to Dawn wash, clay, gloss enhance, then apply 3 coats of Zaino with the "flash cure additive". Washing was performed outside; everything else was inside a well-lit body shop. All the towels were provided by the Zaino rep, and they were some kind of "cotton microfiber" (his description, not mine).

My car is Nero - black. I did not do the "clay" step, since I'd clayed the car about 6 weeks prior with Griots clay and Speed Shine.

Here’s what I found:

1. Adding the speed cure additive is a requirement with this stuff. For some reason the speed cure is sold separately, and it’s $18 for a bottle of stuff that literally is the size of an eye dropper. Luckily, 2 drops of the additive per ounce is all you need. In a chemistry-like setting, you mix the accelerator with your Zaino in one of their little bottles. Then you let the accelerator and the wax coexist for a little while before you start applying it to your car.

2. You really use VERY little Zaino to cover a car three times. I was shocked that with about 1.5 ounces, I was able to completely cover my car with three coats of this stuff. It goes on very easily. Compared something like Meguires NXT, I’d guess that I used one-third less product on my car. We applied the Zaino with a cotton bonnet, by hand.

3. You must wait at least 20 minutes between application and removal. Removal is very easy and requires almost no rubbing or buffing. I used a Zaino-supplied cotton micro-fiber towel (more on this later).

4. Between each coat of Zaino, you need to spritz the Gloss Enhancer and wipe the car down.

5. Three coats of Zaino, and supposedly, the car will be ready for Pebble Beach.

OK, now here’s where it gets ugly… and my remarks only apply to my personal experience on my personal black Ferrari 348 with whatever brand paint it has. Your mileage may vary:

Zaino = not worth the effort or money. When I rolled my car out into the sunlight, I saw NEW micro-scratches on the hood, doors and targa-bar! The shine was absolutely not one iota deeper than Meguires NXT. There were no swirls, but the paint certainly appeared uneven in clarity. I was furious, and I think most of my fellow club members knew it. A gorgeous 348 rolled into the Zaino session, and a less-than-perfect 348 rolled out.

Before anybody says “Daniel applied it wrong”, I’ll tell you to shove it. The distributor was there, handing me all the materials and I’ve been detailing cars for a long time. I’m not a “once a year detailer”.

Is Zaino more “durable”? I have no idea, nor do I care: the car isn’t driven in the rain, and obviously has it’s own garage and remains covered when not in use. For all those Zaino-heads, I think you’re being fooled into thinking this stuff is magic. On my car, with my materials, the Pep Boys bottle of NXT will smoke the Zaino, without question.

This cotton bonnet (looks like a sponge) and cotton micro-fiber towels were probably the culprits. In my experience, wax should be applied with a foam applicator. Wax should be removed with synthetic microfiber. Can somebody explain how cotton can be spun into a microfiber? I’m all ears, but from what I’ve research in the synthetic stuff, it just ain’t possible.

To make matters worse, the rep handed me a BILL for $80.00 worth of this stuff when I left. Yes, I felt kind of obligated to buy it – but you can be darn sure it’s going to be sold on eBay. EIGHTY dollars!! WTF? Nasty words and descriptions come to mind, but $80 for any wax is highway robbery. Detailing a car is about methods and techniques more than supplies. I’ve never spent that kind of money on wax, and just because I drive a Ferrari doesn’t mean I’m rich and/or stupid.

So, what now? I drove home, inspected the car very carefully, cried briefly, and started over. This time, I needed to use the Griot’s buffer, some Meguires Scratch-X, and my wonderful NXT Tech Wax. Three hours later (and deep into the night), I was basically “back to square one”. Scratches remain on my targa bar and passenger door that absolutely weren’t there prior to the Zaino session. I am however, back to a nice swirl-free very deep, very slick, deep shine.

Bottom line? Meguires NXT Tech Wax beat Zaino “hands down” on my black Ferrari. I’m pissed that I spent $80 to learn this lesson; I’m pissed that it took nearly 7 hours of work yesterday; I’m pissed that my car now has scratches. I am however, very happy to know that my good techniques and NXT Tech Wax remains the BEST product on my shelf.

-Daniel

(p.s. Anybody want to buy a full bottle of Zaino, some accelerant, and Gloss Enhancer?)

2. skyhigh

skyhigh Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    SoCal
    Overall how do you think NXT compairs to Griot's Best in Show (ease of use, shine, how long it lasts)?

3. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

NXT beats Best in Show in terms of easy application, no swirls, and consistent deep shine. (In my opinion)

4. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    Daniel and others -

Sorry to hear about your wasted time and money - I recently purchased a bottle of NXT at Advance Auto after the detailing man at Sport Auto ( Summerfield, NC ) spoke of its quality.

I tried it on my wife's Pearl Black ML a few weeks ago. I was thoroughly impressed with the results. It went on easily and the shine was deep. It easily retuned this "grocery getter" to a better looking machine.

I have always been a Mequire's person, only straying a few times bit but always coming back. I have not found anything better for shine.

This new NXT product is just another improvement as far as I am concerned.

Just my .02

David C.

P.S. You mentioned Mequiars Scratch X - is this the best for removing small scratches ( not just micro type ) ?? I am thinking more for my sedan and other daily drivers.

5. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    Daniel, thanks for the great post. I also had read good things about NXT. I used that on both my clear coat black S500 and metallic burgundy 246GT. On the Merc, NXT really came out nice.

On the DIno, the NXT didn't seem to do as well. The paint afterwards didn't feel as slippery as the Merc, and I believe I saw alot more microscratches in the sun. I had used a microfiber towel to remove the wax.
    I then redid the Dino with Meguiars #26 and the results were better. But still not as slippery and shiny as when I used a Meguairs Cleaner Paste Wax months ago.

6. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Although I don't own a Ferrari ,may never = ( , but thanks for the info. I've never personally used Mequires NXT, but I WAS about to dive into Zaino's. Looks like I'll be heading out today to grab some NXT. Thanks.

Jay

7. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Daniel,

In my experience with these waxes, which is fairly comprehensive as I use them both frequently, you are probably correct to use the NXT in your situation. NXT offers a great shine, but issues start to arise in relation to durability. When I am detailing cars (I do this for friends...or others who'll pay me to!) I usually use the NXT because it is fairly easy to apply and yields a shine just as deep as the Zaino. However, when I wax my own car, I use Zaino...which should say something. I don't have a lot of time to wash my own car, so I use the Zaino process because it is infinitely more durable than the NXT. On average, a wax job with NXT lasts two weeks. Three coats of Zaino last for months!

If your car is well cared for, sits in the garage and is only driven on the weekend, I would stick with a wax like NXT or even move up to PS21 as that is an even deeper shine (synthetics tend to have a sort of plastic shine). If you drive your car constantly and it sits outside, Zaino is the way to go -- no comparison.

As for frustration with Zaino, it does take some time to get used to. I will not make excuses for it because it is difficult to "master" the process, but I will say that (as with many things) expereicne goes a long way to making it easier.

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
  9. K27

K27 Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Vancouver BC
    Full Name:
    Lance
    I just tried Eagle Nano wax on my black 89 Porsche (Glasurit Paint), quite impressed with the covering of swirls, comes off real well and leaves no residue at all. Durability we will have to wait and see.
    Oh, I usually use Maguires, this does leave white residue.
    I know pics dont show too well, but here it is anyway :)

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Apologies to all. The correct spelling is "Meguiars".

-Daniel

11. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Daniel I told you that NXT stuff works........it is honestly one of the best buys around. It is so easy to use and so much cheaper than the other "show car" polish/wax out there.

The only other one I've found to be really good is Pinnacle Souveran. I've heard of something called black fire, but I've never used it. From my experience with Zaino it seems to create a wonderful gloss, but it doesn't hide anything. In fact it brings out imperfections in your paint. It would be nice if you could put a base of nxt then gloss it over with zaino(I'll let some one else try that hahaha).

Hopefully the event was fun for you other than that.......????

12. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Daniel I agree with everything you wrote. I did a full detail of my car with Zaino (in the garage with halogens) over a weekend by Zaino's instructions. It took 16 hours total. One of Zaino's explicit steps is to only use 100% cotton towels to remove the wax. Well, this is where those fine scratches and swirls come from. Microfiber is totally superior.

Regarding MF, I cannot find 100% cotton MF towels anywhere. Even Griots Garage, which implies 100% cotton is the only way to go in the description of their "polishing cloths" sells MF towels towels on the same page (Garage Handbook #190, p.24). I called Griot's to find the composition of them; guess what...they're a polyester blend!

I believe polyester microfiber is the only kind of microfiber, but I may be wrong.

13. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

Dude...I am with you. Because something is expensive and has limited distribution, does not make it better. I have used Meguires Car Cleaner Wax forever, and never found anything better.

I will get some NXT. I have to say Meguires makes some great stuff. I just bought their Rich Aloe Leather Conditioner treatment. I prefer the smell of Lexol...but will say the finish of the RALC is super and it is supposed to protect from UVA and UVB rays...important to me.

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That is correct. However, the construction of the microfiber supposedly negates the usual problems with polyester fibers regarding abrasion.

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Here's a preview/draft of my next Concours & Detailing Tips column that will be in the October FCA NewsBulletin. It happens to address this subject!

Archive is linked at www.fca-se.com

============================

If you’ve wondered if authors like me actually follow our own advice, I’d have to say “usually”. Here’s a recent example: I allowed my 308 GTSi/QV to be used by a young couple to get from their wedding to the reception site (yes, the groom had to take a “qualifying drive” with me first). That morning, I washed the car, but wanted to make sure it looked its best. Around my garage, because of the testing I do, I’ve got more than a dozen waxes and polishes to choose from. Though Zaino Bros is usually my favorite, I grabbed the can of Finish First, and did a quick coating of all the paint above the body mid-line. Why just above the midline? That’s where the sun reflects. Why Finish First instead of Zaino? The quality is comparable (except to the most discerning eye) and you don’t have to do any mixing of a catalyst with the base like you do with Zaino (at least the way I use Zaino with the ZFX additive). In less than 10 minutes, I had gone over the entire upper surface. A half-hour later, I spent five minutes wiping off the residue, and the car looked so good that it almost glowed.

For those of you who have been reading my columns for some time, you know I personally prefer the ease of application and “fresh paint” appearance of synthetic polymer protectants instead of wax. Life moves on, and so does technology, including that of automotive paints. I’ve been using Finish First and Zaino Bros protectants for many years, and I know many of you now use them too.

Of course, these are specialty products. Zaino is a mail-order-only product, and Finish First is usually only mail-order also, since it is found at only a few automotive specialty shops, not in the larger chains like Autozone or Advance Auto. I often get asked the question, “What do you like best that I can buy locally?” I do have an answer for that now. As I mentioned in earlier columns, even the “big guys” have seen the trend towards synthetic polymers, and now Meguiars is offering their NXT Tech Wax. Though they call it a “wax”, presumably for simplicity in marketing, it is really a synthetic, containing what they call “engineered synthetic polymers”. However, it contains some extra ingredients that Zaino and Finish First do not. It has clay and paraffin “fillers”, and petroleum distillates and silicone. No, you won’t see those on the label, you have to look at their Material Safety Data Sheet – MSDS – to find that out,. That mix has both good and not-so-good qualities… the good is that it will visually fill micro-scratches like a glazing compound does. This makes it especially handy for those high maintenance paint colors like black. The not-so-good is that the longevity of Finish First or Zaino won’t be there… the silicones in the formula (the #3 ingredient after water) give a great immediate appearance, but don’t take long to evaporate. The actual polymer is only 3-5% of the product by weight. But NXT Tech Wax provides the ease of use of Zaino and Finish First with some of the filler benefit of waxes, and is available at just about anywhere that sells auto parts and accessories. Meguiars also offers a money-back guarantee, so if you don’t like it, you can return it for a refund.

For me and my Ferrari, though, I’ll stick with Finish First or Zaino Brothers. It just means I have to plan ahead and make sure I reorder when I’m getting low.

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Here's a wonderful description of microfiber: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-microfiber.html

Mike, nice article! But isn't the essential Ferrari-related question this: if the car is driven on weekends, stored in a garage and doesn't see much rain, does longevity matter? Since the answer is likely "no", that's where this whole Zaino thing gets silly. If NXT gives equal shine for 1/3 the price, why on earth would I buy Zaino?

-Daniel

17. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I remember your post back then.

Yes, the reflective enhancement of NXT leaves the best shine I have seen. I have been experimenting with an NXT layer in place of a sealant glaze on my own car before I perform this operation on other cars. If have a black car as well.

During Concorso, the Meguires team was there in full force. I picked their brains in depth. But I kept getting a Meguires standard answer that all I have to do is leave the NXT alone. It can be a final coat. I have never known Meguires products to withstand the longevity test. They evaporate off the car leaving you no choice but to apply and buy more product. On my own, I top the coat with several layers of a professional detailers grade carnuba wax for added durability.

I am happy with the results. The deep gloss goes farther than my Zymol applications had ever reached. During these hot summer months of California, the gloss is still in tact. Several washes later, I know that the Carnuba has been thinned, but the NXT layer and shine remains.

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Among poly-synthetics, probably not, at least not as much. Between poly and wax, YES. From my column #6: "Using a good carnauba-based wax, a general rule of thumb is that 50% of a coating of wax is left after 30 days. You're left with 25% in 60 days and only about 15% in 90 days, so if you're going to use wax you need to do so about every 3 months. And that's under the best of circumstances... that presumes your Ferrari is kept primarily indoors and you use a detailer spray between hand washings."

But you do bring up a good point regarding poly-to-poly comparison for longevity. I'll have to do side-by-side panels one of these days of Finish First, Zaino/ZFX, and Meguiars Tech Wax and compare the clarity after a couple of months and/or a couple of washings.

19. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    I agree, NXT and microfiber cloths are about the best for a black car, HOWEVER, for my red car, I find that "Eagle NanoWax" makes the finish even deeper than the NXT wax. The bottle mechanism for the Eagle wax is a POS, but the wax seems to perform. Has anyone else tried this wax, and if so, how do you compare it to NXT?

-D

20. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I'm still a fan of P21-S. But truthfully, it all in the prep and not the top coat.

Didn't care for Zaino...told Sal that when a car at Pebble Beach wins with Zaino I'll try it again. My preference has been poly on light cars and carb on dark colors.

NXT - OK, but not really happy with it. However, did get 1st place at FCA Sebring with it... Like it for my boat....easy on - easy off, slick and the durability of a poly.

Re: Micros - best www.pakshak.com

21. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

22. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I haven't used Zaino, but have used Klasse AIO - a similar product that seems to invite a lot of comparison to Zaino. I was never really happy with the Klasse "shine" - it never gave me the deep shine I got from Meguiar's #26 High-Tech Yellow Wax.

I tried NXT on my (black) daily driver, without any surface prep, and am really happy with the results. I've been using the NXT spray-on quick detailer after washings, still get a nice, deep shine and water beading.

This fall, I'm going to go after it with Menzerma polishes, then a couple of coats of NXT.

BTW, I usually buy my car care stuff here: http://www.properautocare.com/ .

23. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Daniel -

What did the distributor have to say about the condition of your car when you finished?

24. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I've picked up a bottle of NXT but haven't used it on my cars yet. Well, that's a lie, only on the hood of one of them to see how it would turn out and it did turn out quite nice. I'm with you on the Zaino though, wasn't impressed with it on a dark colored car.

Another point to make, these cloths they provided, new or washed? When you wash any cloth that's going to touch your car, make sure you use liquid detergent instead of powder.