Route 66 Drive...Date Change to 09/26 | FerrariChat

Route 66 Drive...Date Change to 09/26

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Aug 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,I am sorry to have to do this,but,due to circumstances beyond my control...(My In-Laws 50th Wedding Anniversary Party....Yeah,can't miss that one,unless I want to hear it from them and my Wife,FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!:( ) .Will need to push back the date of the Route 66 Drive that was originally set for Sunday Sept.19th.

It will now be on the following Sunday September 26th.,2004.

We will meet Downtown,(Spot yet to be determined) At 10:00AM,and "Roll Off" at 10:30AM. (would make it a bit later,but,we need to "Beat the Traffic")

We will start out by taking a picture of everyone in their car next to the "Begin Route 66" sign,on Michigan Av.,and Jackson Blvd. ( A cool keepsake....:) ) Then,take what remnants of Route 66 are here,out West...then,on from there. There will be some "Spirited Driving",and if anyone has V1,or other good Radar detectors,PLEASE don't forget those either!!! :) (better come with a Full Tank of Gas....:) ) And,bring your Camera!

I am planning on ending up out by Starved Rock State Park. Should be some spectacular Photo Ops....:) And,if you do not want to meet Downtown,or need to bail early. Please try to join in somewhere along the line. But,would really like to see as many of you Ferrari Folks as we can.....:)

Please post here on FChat if you plan on attending.

As much as I'd like to take it all the way out to SanBernardino,CA...all I can say is....Not THIS time,but.........Someday....!!! ....:)

2. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Frank,
    I should be able to attend. Just courious, but where does the original Rt 66 exist ?
    Dave

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,whats left of it...is basically,Ogden Av.,all the way West,through the City. Start at Michigan and Jackson,where the "Begin Route 66" sign is. (The "End Route 66" sign is around the corner on Jackson...:) ) Then through Berwyn,where they actually hold a "Route 66 Festival and Car Show"Along Ogden Av. every Summer...I will see if I can find when they do it,but,I'm betting that it's past by now,for this year,anyway...And,they have "Route 66" signs along the way.

Then,to Harlem Av. Go South about,less than a Mile,to Joliet Rd. Then,take that West,to Burr Ridge. Then,on the Frontage Rd. that parallels I-55,is an actual strip of the Old Road.

Then,go to Route 83,(Willowbrook) and get on I-55 and that is,basically,it. Though,not the actual Road anymore. Pretty much all of it around here has succumbed to Suburban Sprawl...:(

So,we can get on I-55 for some "Spirited Driving",down to I-80 West,to Starved Rock...and,Chasking knows of some roads out there that we can...investigate...:)

Should be some great driving and pretty roads around there. And,some great Photo Ops.

And,to get home is easy...back on 80 to 55 to 355 anywhere...

Should be fun...:)

4. Manuel NSX1164

Manuel NSX1164 Karting

Jul 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    September 11th (9/11) is the 14th Annual Route 66 Car Show in Berwyn.
    Ogden Ave. between Ridgeland and Oak Park Ave.
    For info call 708-788-8100.

5. Manuel NSX1164

Manuel NSX1164 Karting

Jul 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Didn't want to hijack this thread, which is organizing a DRIVE.

Info on the Rt-66 show here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28732

6. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Will be there with my blue 550 assuming I don't get hijacked by the family...

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for the info on that Car Show! I will definitely try to make that. I've seen Bill Wildt cover it many times over the years on "Motorsports Unlimited".

Also,don't forget about our Drive on August 26th...The MORE the MERRIER! :)

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is a big cult following of the Route 66 in Europe, especially in Germany. There are clubs of Route 66 fans and they come to the US to "vacation on Rte 66". At some point some friends from Germany asked me to take them there and we even found a real piece - like 100 yard long turn -
    somewhere downstate and took pictures of it.

Personally I have been to its "end point" in LA.

Anyway, Frank count me in. I'll be there at least for the beginning of the trip.

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,some of the Frontage Road ,of I-55,out in Willowbrook is an actual stretch of old Route 66. They used to have signs depicting that,but,I think that they kept getting made into Souveniers....And,there is an old Restaraunt called "Del Rhea's Chicken Basket" which is along that old stretch of Road. GREAT "Home Cooked" tasting Food. Neat atmosphere. Lots of Route 66 Memorabilia,too.

I too have been to the End Trip out in L.A. (I used to live out there when I was a kid). But,on the "Return Route" From L.A.,the "End Route 66" sign is on Jackson,just before Michigan Av. (Mounted way up high,so that it is more difficult for souvenier takers...:) )

10. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Actually, as you head south out of Chicagoland there are lots of areas along I-55 where old 66 still exists as a frontage road. Earlier this summer some friends and I were able to get most of the way to Bloomington using old 66 for big stretches. It's not identified on maps, but if you are actually on the road there are signs indicating it is Historic Route 66 (or something like that).

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm posting this for Frank:

Location for gathering is on Plymouth, which is just North off Congress, alongside the Chicago Public Library. Very quiet spot on the weekend. Here a pic for easy identfication:

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That looks like a fine spot to me...:)

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The leaves should be starting to change by then,so,a Route 66 drive (and out to Starved Rock along the River) should be cool....:) Hopefully,it won't Rain,and the Temps should still be good... It should be a nice mix of Scenic Driving,Photo Ops,and some Spirited Driving...:) PLEASE! If you have a Radar Detector,bring it along. And,don't forget your Camera.

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    This is where we will meet tomorrow Morning for the Drive.(see picture a couple posts down,(or up,)