Road Angel2----------------------------------- | FerrariChat

Road Angel2-----------------------------------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Aug 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    How long should it take for the unit to aquire sat. lock? I'm finding mine takes at least 15 mins and sometimes it won't find a lock at all.Am i doing something wrong? What shd settings be ? Help pls! :confused:

2. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If you're too close for missiles, you could try switching to guns?

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Funny .... ;)

4. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    I don't have a road angel but I do have an in-car GPS receiver. It takes from 30 seconds to 2 minutes typically to acquire a satellite lock. On very rare occasions I have found that it has trouble acquiring a lock at all. However in those circumstances I've always found a reason for it - eg on one occasion the receiver had moved along the dash and was getting obscured by the windscreen wiper, thus blocking the signal. As soon as I moved it, it was ok.

Where is it positioned in the car?

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    To the left of centre of dash. Wiper shouldn't be a prob but i'll double check.cheers for tip, m8.

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #6 tonyh, Aug 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Do the wipers go from the centre? If so then they are right in front of it. From which direction does it receive signal?

I remember sitting there :)

8. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Have you got one on you push bike Noony if so keep it clear of the BELL LOL HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RAY360M (with mountain bike )

9. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Ray you're a nice guy so I won't make a stunningly witty comeback.

(I could've said ''the only bell round here is on your head'' :p:d)

all in good humour

10. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Noony i got another one somewhere else When your older you will learn to use it (ask your dad if you dont understand ) LOL hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ray 360M (bell end average )

11. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    Doesn't look like it would be obstructed. I can only suggest you sit in the car with the top down and hold it up so it has a clear view of the sky, and see if it manages to get a lock quicker like that - not a solution but might help with diagnosis.

Richard.

12. Uonlyhave2seats

Uonlyhave2seats Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    South East, UK
    Full Name:
    Tone
    Tony, I have a road angel 2 and it locks on very quickly.

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Are your settings factory default ? Would you mind running through what you have on here, pls?

14. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I have a Snooper which uses the same technology, shouldn't take that long to aquire but I agree that obstructions like wipers or certain built in sunstrips can affect. On leafy lanes for example the unit sometomes loses the plot for a while due to tree cover. I did have a software problem and found the help desk really helpful and problem solved quickly. Good luck!

15. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Tony,

I have a Road angel 1 which occasionally takes a good 5 minutes to lock on. As i have had the same on the sat nav on my Audi (but not the F car?) i always put it down to atmospherics ! Usuallu unplug it and it locks on as soon as i reconnect but maybe the Road Angel is weak in ths area. Good luck!

Gary

16. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    tony ring tech support number on road angel box, mine doesnt take that long 30sec-1min

17. Uonlyhave2seats

Uonlyhave2seats Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    South East, UK
    Full Name:
    Tone
    Tony, not sure what the settings are, we bought several, someone set them all up before handing them out.

18. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Something wrong there Tone,my RA 1 takes a couple of mins even from a "cold start"and it is also factory default setup,the only way it should take a while would be if you are around high buildings.

19. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Thanks for all the replies. I've switched unit over from left of air con vents to far right corner of windscreen and it's working fine. DOH :p

20. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Tony - what are your impressions of the Road Angel ? Worth its money ?

Thinking of getting one too but also looking at Origin B2.

Rick

21. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had a Road Angel version 1 and it took ages (45 mins one day) to get a signal. The car was garaged overnight which seemed to confuse it; when starting from the office (car parked outside) it was fine.

I took it back for a refund in the end; my car has GPS and it has no probs with signal location in the garage...

Robert.

22. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Rick,
    i don't have anything to compare it with as i haven't had a detector before . It picks up ALL Gatso sites, ALL traffic blackspots, is VERY sensitive when set to pick up traps from over 250M....It seems to be like that Ronseal stuff.....
    It does exactly what it says on the box.......

23. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    iM LOOKING AT PURCHASING THE SAID DETECTOR??

Tony any recommenations m8 ?

:)

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Joe,
    as i said below, i haven't got anything to compare it with.I had trouble early doors because it wouldn't lock onto GPS satelites, but that's prob cos i had it in wrong place in car ! That said , since i repositioned it to right side of me , it's been spot on.

25. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Lifted this straight from a pistonheads review:-

jon astley "Insurance companies hate them so beware"

Fantastic piece of kit but my experience in informing my insurance company was astonishing.

Basically esure have informed me that it is a modification to the vehicle and as such invalidates my cover.

Whats more if I didn't confirm that I had removed it they would cancel my cover in 7 days!

In addition, having confirmed that I would remove it, they informed me that it would be registered on my file and if I have an accident and one is found in the car or mentioned in the police report they would refuse to pay out. No idea if this is common.