Drogo 2707GT | FerrariChat

Drogo 2707GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Jack KdH, May 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack KdH

Jack KdH Rookie

Oct 7, 2005
    #1 Jack KdH, May 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Ferrari Friends,
    In my files I found attached damaged photo.
    Other documentation sais that this "Drogo" body is built on chassis 2707GT from July 6th 1961.
    For I am a Bizzarrini nut I almost know nothing about Ferrari but maybe you can help me to fill in the story.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Ciao,
    Jack
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Looks rather like to 1717GT...

3. Jack KdH

Jack KdH Rookie

Oct 7, 2005
    Thanks Aardy but Italian road registration documents say #2707
    Ciao,
    Jack

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hello Jack,

That is an awesome photo as is, I can imagine it enlarged and printed on canvas.

5. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    2707GT is said to be a long lost Nembo spyder. Since I have never seen a pic, it could be wrong.

Your pic shows a body very similar to 1717GT which was red at one point.

Look also the small side vents on your pic (trough the Iso's door) : exactly like 1717GT.

All the others Drogo replicas have GTO vents style.

I'm still thinking it's 1717GT.

What is the italian registration your are speaking ?? Any pic ??

6. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    This is 1717gt. Its here in our shop

7. Jack KdH

Jack KdH Rookie

Oct 7, 2005
    I also had the feeling it was #1717 Calder but the registration documents of #2707 with the number TO 391916 were with this car ...
    Ciao,
    Jack

8. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
  9. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    I am happy to add that the car might be for sale, please contact me if interested.

10. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Curious about the badging. I know this car has been rebuilt for competition but was it originally an Iso Griffo ?

11. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Please note that Tom Meade (the designer of Nembos) has told me that this is not the original 2707.
    This was used for a Nembo. Tom can prove the original car was NOT with a Drogo.

GS

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Can you please describe the evidence that can be used to prove this?

13. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Sorry for not posting the answer earlier, I had not seen this question.
    Unfortunately as you know Tom Meade has passed away.
    2707 GT was used for Tom's last nembo, later shipped to Lebanon, repurchased by Tom and put away by him. There are registration documents in my possession but also the car will undergo restoration and will go to the Ferrari Museum in Maranello where also the Thomassima 3 and others are going.

Hope this helps

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    There is one other interesting car I heard found in Lebanon, the Plymouth XLR designed by Virgil Exner. The owner had to move it around on a flatbed from time to time as the war reached his block. Finally he restored it and sold it for almost a million dollars after showing it at Pebble Beach.They say that Beirut used to be the "Paris of the Mideast" so I imagine when it was still Paris, there were lots of nice cars, not all of which got out during the unpleasantness that followed.

By the way one time I was visiting Metalcrafters in Orange County when they still had a small little shop and they had Tom Meade's gullwing Ferrari with side pipes on display. I don't know if they worked on it, were just giving him a place to park it or what. It looks like a 275GTB but may be some other Ferrari. When I last talked to him a year or two before his death (when he used to "hold court" at a coffee house in Westwood) he said he was building some cars but was extremely secretive about where his workshop was so I didn't pursue it because Larry Crane had already written a quite comprehensive story on Meade's accomplishments.

15. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Thank you for the story. I think you are referring to the Thomassima 3. This car is undergoing restoration now and next month will be in Ferrari museum in Modena.

Regards

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Classic Cars Talks: January 2013

The styling is beautiful, better than a 250GTO. And it looks like a beautiful restoration. Can those interested in one-offs look at the pictures on this site and say who designed it? I think they say Drogo though they say N & B co-operated and worked with Drogo rather than saw them as direct competitors. I thought 2707GT was the SN of the Lost Nembo sent to Lebanon, but this car is a coupe. Also it has an inset rear window with sail panels like a 250LM. So, if this coupe is built on what was sent to the Mideast as a Nembo spyder does that mean that body designed by Meade was lost?

confused in Cleveland ....actually Calif.

17. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dear all,

let me please point out a few points

1-2707GT is and always has been a Nembo. Tom has confirmed this in a long number of interviews (many of them are on the internet a well if you google them) and he has asked me when he was still alive to clarify it on Ferrarichat and to provide his telephone number if anyone wanted to call him for confirmation. That's exactly what I did in the past

2-When the other Nembos were sold, even the major auction houses have clearly written that 2707GT was a Nembo

3-In Ferrari they also are aware that 2707GT is a Nembo

4-Currently 2707GT is under restoration in Italy and will go to the Ferrari museum, where in the past months we gave the Thomassima 3, the prototype Royale engine and where other interesting cars and engines will go. If anyone has another 2707GT car, it would be great if you can contact me ([email protected]) or Ferrari so that Ferrari can carefully inspect both. They are aware of the situation and available for that

Thank you

18. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dears,
    as mentioned many times the 2707GT is indeed the "Lost" Nembo. As updated a few times, this car is indeed in Italy, pictures were taken by a Ferrari Museum (and Classiche) employee (including the chassis stamp) and given for record to Ferrari as someone else was using that chassis number.

The car is not assembled as Tom prepared it for storage, that means he removed the engine and other parts. However, all the pieces are there and all the documents are there (dating back to Tom's first purchase of the car, customs documents importation in Italy, targhetta etc.). As mentioned in the past this car as well will undergo restoration and go to the Ferrari Museum.

It turns out that also the new person claiming ownership of 2707GT has surfaced trying to sell the car. It is supposedly a Drogo. A book came out on Drogo just last month where the 2 historians Jack Koobs de Hartog and Marc de Rijck examined the 2707GT car. On pages 127 and 128 they clearly indicate that all the sign point to Drogo 3405GT being renumbered to 2707GT after 1981 and that 2707 was not the original number of the car currently on sale. They have very detailed explanation that I invite you to read.

Unfortunately several times Tom's cars numbers were used as he put them away and did not use them for many, many years. As I have learned, in this Ferrari world after a few years that a car is not seen someone else comes up with a car with the same number. Luckily there is Ferrari classiche and a few experts that can bring clarity. The same happened also on the WRE1003 that Tom used for the Thomassima Anticobra and that Adolfo Orsi is working now on to prove the real story despite the fact that we have a lot of original documentation dating 50 years ago, so I guess it's not only a Ferrari specificity.

19. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #21 Aardy, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    FWIW 2707 GT was born as a 250 GTE 2+2 Coupé Pininfarina.
    On the 6th July 1961 this GTE was sold new and registered in the name of the first owner Guinzio Rossi S.p.A., a company domiciled at Corso Vittorio Emanuele 22 in Torino, Italy, the price paid was Italian Lire 5'500’000.
    Six years later it was still a stock standard 250 GTE 2+2 and on the 24 April 1967 it was serviced and maintained at the Ferrari Factory Assistenza Clienti at Viale Trento Trieste 31 in Modena, with factory order #221 P, and factory delivery note #1436, and the odometer was showing 54'532 kms.
    I have the paperwork for all of the foregoing.

Marcel Massini

21. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dears,
    as mentioned in the other post on Ferrarichat

Dears,
    please note that Ferrari 2707 is (as mentioned many times by Tom Meade as well) a Nembo. The car is now under restoration in Italy and Ferrari has reviewed that chassis stamps and the "targhetta". Please also note that I have been contacted by Drogo experts that believe that the 2707GT is indeed not a correct number for a Drogo and that the history of that car cannot be traced back from the beginning (while I am in possession of original documents also shown to Ferrari that trace the Nembo car back to the beginning). Luckily Tom kept all documents and targhetta

If anyone is interested in further details I can be contacted at [email protected]

Also please note that the Drogo currently marked 2707GT was in reality a real Drogo but marked 3405GT according to the book Drogo by Jack Koobs de Hartog and Marc De Rijck and the historical pictures that they recovered of the evolution of 3405GT

Also I have been told by some other experts that I would not be able to put this car in the Ferrari museum because it cannot be certified as it was created by Tom Meade's design and not Ferrari. Please note that Classiche personnel has already seen the car, a placement in the museum had been discussed and that the Thomassima 3 (also built and designed by Tom) is already in the museum Ferrari in Maranello

Thx
    GS

22. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  23. Gianni Serazzi

Feb 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    In memory of Tom
    Dear all, a quick update confirming what written

1-Ferrari Classiche now has pictures also of the documents and has inspected the Chassis
    2-The book Drogo is now out and you can see what they say about the 2707GT chassis that is on the Drogo car
    3-The good news is that the Targhetta and the stamp on the Drogo Chassis is completely different from any that Ferrari ever did. Bertolero asked for an expert of the tribunal to create a report in the 2000's (ideally to create papertrail) and so now they cannot change the numbers or make them more similar to the original Ferrari ones. I have pictures of such report. This is a public report as all tribunal reports
    4-Over teh years I have been contacted by several potential buyers of the Drogo and they all backed off once I explained them the situation. However now Carmelo Baieli has purchased it. I have spoken to him many times, he seems like an honest person and was unaware of the situation when he purchased the car
    5-I have a lot of original paperwork including official customs declarations with original stamps for 2707 that was purchased without engine in very bad conditions by Tom Meade and have shown these to the editors of Barchetta.cc when they were in Europe (including pictures of the original and second Drogo chassis). They have noted this on their website

I hope this helps

Best
    GS