What F1 car is this? and | FerrariChat

What F1 car is this? and

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bryanp, Aug 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    what do you all think of the failure of the monocoque.

Moderator, don't shoot me, but I was so intrigued by this shot on page 9 of the Monterey thread, that I thought I'd show the F1 hounds here.

Is this at all what you would expect a carbon fiber monocoque faioure to look like? This crash allegedly occurred on a low speed parade lap of Ferrari F1 cars at Laguna Seca yesterday.

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I would think it's a replica and not built to F1 specs. That can not be a true F1 car, no way, no how.

3. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    it wasnt a parade lap, and it is a true Ferrari F1 car.

1999 model.

4. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Is the driver ok? Otherwise posting the pic is of ill taste. Cars can be replaced, life can't. Please tell me you put more thought into than thinking, oh neat pic, gotta hear a response.

No offense to you or your pic, but would you like to see a pic of some Ferrari driver two seconds after major injury?

RocketBoy

PS: I agree with the previous post, looks very much like a F399 or 2000.

5. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    I would have said a nice fotoshop....

real crash, hmmmmmm, amazing, and lucky driver, makes me thinking about Zanardi's crash.

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have read (in the Monterey thread) as well as hearing it from the lips of a buddy that was there, that the driver walked away. Rest assured that I would not have started this thread if I had heard that there had been a gruesome ending or serious injury. Nor did I think this was merely a 'neat pic.' As a matter of racing/Ferrari technology, I am stunned that a modern F1 monocoque would have broken this way and am interested in the opinions of the knowledgeable folks in this section.

7. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
  8. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    It is a F399. The owner is Dutch importer Frits Kroymans. He raced the same car during the Spa Ferrari Days. Very weird accident I must say.

9. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Thanks for the clarification Bryan. Fchat should be about Ferrari fans helping each other and as I stated, my comments were trying to know more about this strange pic. It disgusts me that in the political section of Fchat, members happily post links to where you can find images of people beheaded by Iraqis or Lambo fans going into every Fchat section to compare tenths of a second in some magazine or from some "guy they know" on why their car is better.

These cars should be about admiration for great work, performance, and historical connections...

Going back to your intended question and based on everything I just said, have no clue how this might have happened. Was the factory sponsored F1 team there? Do not recall the name at the moment, but everyone who has made the trip to the factory has seen this shop/team located across the street and it was briefly mentioned in the last issue of CAR, featuring a Enzo/SLR/CGT comparison and feature on the last purchase of an F1 car: which happened to be a title clinching ride. Shocked that since it takes an army of mechanics to keep the new ones running, that the body could run through so much stress that a clean break eventually happening did not go unnoticed.

RocketBoy

10. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I have never seen a clean break like that before either. I can't believe the driver walked away. Are there any more details or pictures of the accident? I'm sure Maranello will be very interested in this chassis.............

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Calm down, he's moving looking at his feet........

Better than Zanardi, or Brack.....

12. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    It is a shame about the car, but atleast the driver seems to be ok.

13. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I'm not an expert on carbon fiber monocoques, but I would say there is about a zero percent chance that this could happen to a real Ferrari F1 car, unless someone grafted on a fiberglass nose. No way. It must have been a "display" chassis, or some other explanation.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It wasn 't on the displpay stand when THIS happened..but the same thought crossed my mind..given the owner though ..highly unlikely.

It IS broken like glass would fail, good point there. I think there is an assembly joint at this bulkhead, however...don't they split to this point to adjust shocks and suspension???

Speedy's confused....

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I looked again, never mind...MUCh further back that front nose/cockpit splice..but you can see a mounting flange of some sort in the photo as if this is an assembly joint in the car.....

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    After a few minutes of research:

It seems that Kroyman's F399 is chassis #193, which happens to be the same car that Michael Schumacher crashed into the barriers at the British Grand Prix in 1999, breaking his leg. According to Autosport, "There is concern over the monocoque breaking at just 66.5 MPH" (his impact speed with the tire wall). So - we know that car had a cracked monocoque. Who repaired it, was it properly repaired, did Ferrari give the car their OK to compete again?

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    wow... car breaking in the same spot? I would imagine it would be retired and not resold. I'm sure, as well as he is - walking away from the incident - he's probably got a bit of a chuckle, knowing the history of the car and how it happened to him too.

The F1 car that was sold in CAR/5th Gear show was a 2001/2 model, cannot remember which.

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No way this was a true F1 car to FIA regulations. They just don't break like this. The speed given is close to the FIA crash tests, you wouldn't get their approval if something like this would ever happen.

*IF* this is a real car and not a display car as some mentioned, then it had issues, like a cracked monocoque. F1 cars don't brake like this at these speeds, not even at much higher speeds.

19. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Looked further into the Autosport reports from 1999 races, and they indicate that chassis #193 was used by the Ferrari team at races later in the year, after the British GP crash. So I guess the factory repaired it, if the chassis number information is correct. But it NEVER, EVER should have broken like Kroyman's car did. Something funny there.

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Great detective work!

I hope the factory fixed it after Silverstone in a way that such a break could not have happened. If they didn't, which is possible, after all once a F1 car has been approved by FIA, there are no more further crash tests, then they would have seriously gambled with the drivers' lifes. Hard to imagine. So I'm sticking to my speculation: Shoddy repair work after it ended its official racing career at the S/F.

21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Found this
    http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/images/0400/img-0124-1.jpg,

don’t know what year, or for sure that it’s a Ferrari, but it came from a Ferrari site.
    As you can see, there is no bulkhead or mating joint.
    My guess is that somehow Kroyman”s is a repaired tub that the factory never intended to race again.
    The break is too clean to be a one piece lay-up although there might be a Titanium bulkhead bonded into the carbon fiber tub and that’s where it failed.
    I would like to know much more about just what happened.
    Is it possible the structure failed a caused the crash? I would like to see a video of the incident before making any calls.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's far too clean a break for there not to have been a joint there. When carbon fiber fails there is always some zig-zag edges, since some of the fibers will be at 45 degrees to either vertical or horizontal.

I think the entire nose may have been replaced after the Schumacher crash. They simply cut the entire nose off and grafted (or fastened?) on a new one. If this was done while the team was still using it that might have made the car illegal. At any rate, they should have declared it "not to be driven" after its retirement from active use.

24. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I think that's the most likely explanation. This is so bad that I think we really need an official statement from Ferrari or the owner of the car to clarify exactly what went wrong. If I was an owner of another Ferrari Clienti F1 car, this is the type of thing that would make me very very nervous!

Does anyone here have some contacts who have worked on this car, or with any Ferrari personnel in Italy? If you do, I suggest you ask them what happened (via phone, email or whatever). I'm sure everyone here would like to know!

25. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    In these photos is almost looks like some sort of adhesive was used to bond the nose to the remainder of the chassis. Look at the thin white line around the circumference of the joining rims. It appears that nothing actually broke, other than this joining point; something like this would have to be incredibly dangerous!